Lifestyle

Tax time headache?
Call RSM on 6190 1277

The Brodburger returns

johnboy 26 March 2012 70

brodburger

So tonight the RiotACT crew was invited to the launch party of the legendary Brodburger, relocated to the Kingston Arts Precinct.

It was a star studded event. In the midground of the above photo you can see the ACT Treasurer Andrew Barr scarfing down one of the mini burgers on offer last night. The big guns of the Commonwealth Cabinet were there too, Minister for Resources and Energy, Martin Ferguson, barged past the Riot team on his way out of the building.

The new premises is in the heart of the old Kingston industrial precinct. Here’s the exterior view:

brodburger exterior

The staff are kitted out in very cute uniforms:

brodburger staff

The kitchen is much bigger than in the old establishment:

brod kitchen

But the old caravan is still out the front:

red caravan

As expected at Brodburger the wait saw packs of jackals stalking the wait staff coming out of the kitchen:

brod kitchen

Finally Sascha Brodbeck and his partner Joelle Bou-Jaoude made their speeches to a packed crowd under the light of Mount Pleasant.

brodburger

The evolution of this institution will be fascinating to watch.

But I think the design will suit their late night cruising driver crowd as much as those who just want a damn good burger.

70 Responses to The Brodburger returns
Holden Caulfield Holden Caulfield 3:52 pm 27 Mar 12

Katietonia said :

Solidarity said :

I think it’s funny that Grill’d is opening in Manuka. Do they seriously think they can compete with Sascha?

I guess they could compete with timeliness? If you don’t want to wait ages to order/receive said burger?

Hear, hear!

I went to Brodburger for lunch today. It was like precision clockwork…

Precisely 60 minutes after placing my order my burger arrived.

One full hour.

Joelle was talking about first day issues, thanking us for our patience (this was when ordering), yada, yada.

A bigger, more easy to use kitchen.

The same menu as the caravan.

The same staff (that I could see).

Why does it still take an hour to flip a few burgers?

Yes, it was busy. Yes, it is their first day. But the only thing new for them was having more room to move in the kitchen. Am I missing something?

I gave up going to the red van because, as good as the burgers are, they’re not worth an hour (or more) of my time.

So anyway, today’s burger was excellent and went some way to making up for the wait. The chips, perhaps unsurprisingly, were a little over cooked.

Get the wait time down to 15-20 minutes or so like Grill’d can seem to manage (with a far more extensive menu) and they’ll be on a winner.

If not, I suspect the table of 6-8 people today who left, with only a monetary refund for lunch, will be more than happy to go to Grill’d for sustenance.

Aside from that the venue looks good, there’s nice graphics on the walls and it seats 40-50 under cover, at a guess. I suspect the assistance from GovCo was an agreement to provide a space for them with (perhaps) some favourable conditions on the lease as the first tenant (NFI, I could be way off the mark).

Of course, some of the charm of going to the “secret” red van has been lost, it’s just a shame that it hasn’t made way for a more efficient lunch time experience. I’ll give them another go in a week or two, but if I have to waste another hour waiting for my tucker that’ll be it for me. No more.

Oh, IIRC it was $12.50 for a Classic Brodburger, $13 for Brodchicken/Brodfin and $18 for Broddeluxe.

devils_advocate devils_advocate 3:49 pm 27 Mar 12

chewy14 said :

Just out of idle curiosity, how much time and money was that?

The only government involvement of which I was aware was when *someone* (probably the mediocre “competitors” in Manuka/Kingston) were having a whinge about the fact that the brodburger was operating its van using a hawker’s license for $1 a day. Which they probably could have done indefinitely. On that basis, the government wasn’t really providing assistance, just responding to/ managing petty whingeing by private interests that lacked the ability to compete with a superior product.

Unless there’s more info you’d care to share with us?

jinkies jinkies 3:42 pm 27 Mar 12

Any idea as to opening hours changing? Just checked their website, looks like it hasn’t been updated since 2009.

devils_advocate devils_advocate 3:41 pm 27 Mar 12

johnboy said :

$15-20? You’re ordering two?

God if only. It was so frustrating when you’d turn up at the van at 12:00, be the third person in line, have the van open for business at 12:15, only to have the person in front of your order lunch for their entire office.

Ah, memories.

chewy14 chewy14 3:32 pm 27 Mar 12

devils_advocate said :

chewy14 said :

Solidarity said :

They’re bland as hell, may as well be cheeseless vegan burgers! If you want a black burger, may as well save $5 and buy something from Maccas

You’re talking about Brodburger right?

Although you did get one thing wrong, you’d save two hours and $10 if you went to Maccas.

Firstly, I think he might have been referred to grill’d, because nobody that is capable of operating a keyboard would suggest that Brodbugers are bland.

Secondly, yes it is true you save time and money by going to maccas, but by that logic you save even more time and money by eating a dog s–t off the ground. The latter is probably a healthier option, too.

And no one with a sense of reality would suggest paying 15-20 dollars to wait an hour for someone to put a bit of blue cheese on a burger is in any way good value or service. Actually, now I realise why our government has spent so much time and money on this.

devils_advocate devils_advocate 2:31 pm 27 Mar 12

chewy14 said :

Solidarity said :

You’re talking about Brodburger right?

devils_advocate devils_advocate 2:21 pm 27 Mar 12

Galactaphonic said :

devils_advocate said :

johnboy said :

But they do have a vegetarian burger.

There is no such thing as a vegetarian burger. A burger is by definition made of a meat patty in a bun.

My suggestion for a new name is tree-hugging-hippy-crapwich.

WOW Paying out on a vegetarian what an original idea. So let’s get this right because somebody choses not to eat meat that are suddenly a “tree hugging hippy”? Imagine how amazing life would be if everyone liked the same music, ate the same food, saw the same films etc. Just goes to show how narrow minded people are.

Better to be narrow-minded than ignorant. I was “paying out” on veggie burgers. Primarily because they are a contradiction in terms and therefore stupid. Someone dragged the ideology and intolerance into it, but I wasn’t me.

chewy14 chewy14 2:19 pm 27 Mar 12

Solidarity said :

You’re talking about Brodburger right?

Galactaphonic Galactaphonic 2:13 pm 27 Mar 12

devils_advocate said :

johnboy said :

But they do have a vegetarian burger.

My suggestion for a new name is tree-hugging-hippy-crapwich.

devils_advocate devils_advocate 2:12 pm 27 Mar 12

Keijidosha said :

I’m also curious about the details of the Government’s “assistance” in relocating Brodburger. I’m completely in support of helping out the little guy, but the amount of Government interest in this food van seems oddly disproportionate – or at least it seems that way given the amount of exposure the relocation has received.

I don’t know how much or what assistance was provided, however given the sheer awesomeness of the product and the public outcry over various attempts over the years to move the red van on, no amount of assistance or intervention by whatever government is involved could be too much.

That is to say, you could devote the entire resources of all levels of government to saving the Brodburger and it would still be the one of the, if not the, most virtuous use of taxpayer money that the Territory has seen.

So arguments at the margins about the quantum of any assistance are moot.

Solidarity Solidarity 1:27 pm 27 Mar 12

devils_advocate devils_advocate 1:20 pm 27 Mar 12

Katietonia said :

Solidarity said :

In addition to whether the price has increased, I will also be very interested to see if the new facilities (which, although modest, appear far more conducive to increased production scale than the van) will, er, facilitate faster service times.

I’d be prepared to pay a modest price increase if I didn’t have to write off 2 hours of my life to get the burger (which admittedly is probably the best use of 2 hours of my life that is likley to occur, but still).

Katietonia Katietonia 12:33 pm 27 Mar 12

Solidarity said :

Mothy Mothy 12:25 pm 27 Mar 12

Solidarity said :

Much shorter drunken stumble, and still cheaper than anything at the Belgian Beer…

Keijidosha said :

+1 – how was this support rationalized? What form did it take? Are they paying market rent?

devils_advocate said :

My suggestion for a new name is tree-hugging-hippy-crapwich.

devils_advocate devils_advocate 11:44 am 27 Mar 12

johnboy said :

But they do have a vegetarian burger.

My suggestion for a new name is tree-hugging-hippy-crapwich.

aceofspades aceofspades 11:43 am 27 Mar 12

Eppo said :

dpm said :

aceofspades said :

Is that a burger in the first photo? What do you eat after you have finished that mouthful?

I’m guessing that is a burger ‘canape’ for their classy soiree, though it’s a tad messy! Probably tastes good though. JB will be able to tell us! 🙂

Always helps to read.

From the first post: “mini burgers on offer last night”.

Oh so sorry, but not being a public servant I only get the luxury of skimming over the posts on RA during the few moments that I get when I am not doing that thing you might not have heard of called work.

KB1971 KB1971 11:36 am 27 Mar 12

Aaroncbr said :

I GOT A VEGAN BURGER AND IT WAS REALLY, REALLY, REALLY… GOOD.

Was it cooked on the same hotplate as everything else?

GardeningGirl GardeningGirl 11:34 am 27 Mar 12

Keijidosha said :

Duffbowl said :

MLA Joy Burch was on the goggle box, extolling the virtues of Brodburger, and how the ACT Government was happy to assist their business with the relocation.

Is this a service offered to all businesses in Canberra?

I’m curious too? And why did it take so long to open?

Aaroncbr Aaroncbr 11:08 am 27 Mar 12

Holden Caulfield said :

Aaroncbr said :

I GOT A VEGAN BURGER AND IT WAS REALLY, REALLY, REALLY… GOOD.

Were the grains used to make the bun milled humanely? Do they use harm minimisation techniques when preparing their food? Do they have a leather-free kitchen policy?

HA HA you got me!

Holden Caulfield Holden Caulfield 11:01 am 27 Mar 12

Aaroncbr said :

I GOT A VEGAN BURGER AND IT WAS REALLY, REALLY, REALLY… GOOD.

Copyright © 2019 Region Group Pty Ltd. All rights reserved.