Lifestyle

Come home to YOUR Jerra
Land from $370,000. Learn more.

The Brodburger returns

johnboy 26 March 2012 70

brodburger

So tonight the RiotACT crew was invited to the launch party of the legendary Brodburger, relocated to the Kingston Arts Precinct.

It was a star studded event. In the midground of the above photo you can see the ACT Treasurer Andrew Barr scarfing down one of the mini burgers on offer last night. The big guns of the Commonwealth Cabinet were there too, Minister for Resources and Energy, Martin Ferguson, barged past the Riot team on his way out of the building.

The new premises is in the heart of the old Kingston industrial precinct. Here’s the exterior view:

brodburger exterior

The staff are kitted out in very cute uniforms:

brodburger staff

The kitchen is much bigger than in the old establishment:

brod kitchen

But the old caravan is still out the front:

red caravan

As expected at Brodburger the wait saw packs of jackals stalking the wait staff coming out of the kitchen:

brod kitchen

Finally Sascha Brodbeck and his partner Joelle Bou-Jaoude made their speeches to a packed crowd under the light of Mount Pleasant.

brodburger

The evolution of this institution will be fascinating to watch.

But I think the design will suit their late night cruising driver crowd as much as those who just want a damn good burger.

70 Responses to The Brodburger returns
devils_advocate devils_advocate 4:00 pm 27 Mar 12

Holden Caulfield said :

Oh, IIRC it was $12.50 for a Classic Brodburger, $13 for Brodchicken/Brodfin and $18 for Broddeluxe.

Hrm. A $2.50 price hike on the basic burger for no apparent improvement in speed of service. I share at least some of your disappointment, but remain cautiously optimistic.

Is there at least respite from the incessant attacks of magpies? Surely that alone is worth something.

cbjcurtin cbjcurtin 4:31 pm 27 Mar 12

As I’ve said before, best of luck to the team at Brodburger, Im sure they will iron out any teething issues and cut the waiting time. I haven’t been to the new cafe but I will give them a go.

Solidarity Solidarity 4:34 pm 27 Mar 12

$12.50?! They were originally $9!

Back in the day, when they first started it was a 5 minute wait, tops. This is back in the days when every Friday night Brodburger was on the cruise route for a varity of car clubs/groups and they’d all meet up, grab some burgers, and get on with the night. Was a great place to chat shit and get some food. Once the hipster crew cottoned on, attendance expolded, popularity went up and so did the wait times until they got ridiculous.

Holden Caulfield Holden Caulfield 5:46 pm 27 Mar 12

devils_advocate said :

Yep, you’ll be safe from the maggies. And also the narrow-minded know-it-all faux hippy in the van.

cbjcurtin said :

Certainly happy to give them another go, too. I like the background and history and it’s awesome that a business has grown out nothing and earned itself such good will.

But it is a business.

buzz819 buzz819 5:47 pm 27 Mar 12

Solidarity said :

$12.50?! They were originally $9!

Petrol used to be 35 cents a litre, when you pulled up at the servo someone would come out and fill up your tank, wash your windows and check your oil, what’s your point?

damien haas damien haas 6:01 pm 27 Mar 12

If they had to close down and move because the red van was ugly and not in keeping with the NCA aesthetes, why is it now on display roadside ? is it now aesthetically pleasing ?

cbjcurtin cbjcurtin 6:43 pm 27 Mar 12

I think the van is only going to be in its current location for a short period of time, it was allowed to help them remind customers. Im not sure how long it is allowed to stay, but you’re spot on it does not look any better in its current location.

Woody Mann-Caruso Woody Mann-Caruso 6:58 pm 27 Mar 12

Better to be narrow-minded than ignorant. I was “paying out” on veggie burgers. Primarily because they are a contradiction in terms and therefore stupid.

…said the ignoramus. The OED, on the other hand, said:

vegeburger, n.
Pronunciation: Brit. /?v?d???b??g?/ , U.S. /?v?d?i?b?rg?r/
Forms: 19– vegeburger, 19– veggie burger. Also with capital initial.
Etymology: < vege- (in vegetable n.) + burger n.

But perhaps that’s talking about the patty, rather than the entire product. So is there some reason the word ‘veggie’ contradicts the word ‘burger’? No.

burger, n.
Pronunciation: /?b??g?(r)/
A familiar shortening of Hamburger […] denoting a roll, sandwich, etc., containing the foodstuff specified in the first element.

Cue somebody whining about how ‘burger’ is an Americanism in three, two…

matt31221 matt31221 7:50 pm 27 Mar 12

Yes! I knew that added area on the glassworks would be used properly eventually! It is a top little glass room, I was the sparky that did the work for that extension. The original clients wanted some fancy lighting controls that I had to provide using standard switches. I hope the BB staff can figure them out. Those ceiling mounted radiant strip heaters were an absolute bastard to mount but man they will be nice in the winter – sweet!

I-filed I-filed 8:02 pm 27 Mar 12

Duffbowl said :

MLA Joy Burch was on the goggle box, extolling the virtues of Brodburger, and how the ACT Government was happy to assist their business with the relocation.

Is this a service offered to all businesses in Canberra?

Dwarfed by the ACT and federal govt assistance rendered to Tilleys. Fulltime pay for several employees for a full year was just part of that. In today’s money, Tilleys was subsidised to the tune of well over half a million dollars.

chewy14 chewy14 8:20 pm 27 Mar 12

devils_advocate said :

chewy14 said :

Actually, now I realise why our government has spent so much time and money on this.

Just out of idle curiosity, how much time and money was that?

The only government involvement of which I was aware was when *someone* (probably the mediocre “competitors” in Manuka/Kingston) were having a whinge about the fact that the brodburger was operating its van using a hawker’s license for $1 a day. Which they probably could have done indefinitely. On that basis, the government wasn’t really providing assistance, just responding to/ managing petty whingeing by private interests that lacked the ability to compete with a superior product.

Unless there’s more info you’d care to share with us?

Um where did I say I knew exactly how much they’d spent on it? Perhaps you know?

But money was spent on a retrofit of the cafe plus numerous hours spent accomodating them, all of which hasn’t been provided to any other small business.

johnnynorthside johnnynorthside 8:21 pm 27 Mar 12

A review of the new (but not improved) Brodburger:

Taste: Fail. Nowhere near as tasty as the burgers that came out of the van. Big fail. The whole point of lining up at the van (esp in the cold) was that you ended up with a really, really good burger. Perhaps the cosy (and possibly grungy) confines of a caravan is what it takes to produce a good burger, but alas, my Brodburger tonight was nothing to write home about. Bland, burnt on one half, pink on the other. It was nice enough, but NOT worth the price or wait.
And bollocks to “it’s the first day” – plenty of time to get it right, and seriously, a good burger ain’t that hard!

Longer wait than usual. (70 minutes at 5.30pm today). Fail, especially considering the new location. Perhaps if you had more than one person taking orders, the queue to order would be shorter. In fact, now I think of it, it took longer to get served than it did to get the burger! Also, use at least one of the tills instead of a calculator…

Alcohol available, and reasonably priced. Nice one!

Undercover seating. Nice.

Pricing. FAIL. $12.80 for a hamburger, with lettuce, tomato and onions? Sure, blue cheese too, but it appeared to be a watered-down version of the red-van blue cheese. I think it was a bit smaller too, but could be wrong about that. Regardless, more than ten dollars for a burger?

Summary: good on you Brod-folk for trying, for sticking it out, and for ending up with what will surely be a cash-cow (pardon the pun), at least in the short term. However, it’s a shame your product is now not as good yet costs more.

I wonder if, once the noveltly wears off, whether it will continue to be as successful as it was. Perhaps some more Canberra Times front page action will help…

devils_advocate devils_advocate 10:30 pm 27 Mar 12

Woody Mann-Caruso said :

…said the ignoramus. The OED, on the other hand, said:

vegeburger, n.
Pronunciation: Brit. /?v?d???b??g?/ , U.S. /?v?d?i?b?rg?r/
Forms: 19– vegeburger, 19– veggie burger. Also with capital initial.
Etymology: < vege- (in vegetable n.) + burger n.

burger, n.
Pronunciation: /?b??g?(r)/

Cue somebody whining about how ‘burger’ is an Americanism in three, two…

Gees, and vegetarians wonder why people say they don’t have a sense of humour… you must be a laugh riot at dinner parties. Maybe you could close the circle and treat us to a lecture about how wrong our red-meat eating ways are?

Actually, I have figured it out. The chemical that activates the human sense of humour is found exclusively in red meat. Now I better run along and get some research funding.

devils_advocate devils_advocate 10:33 pm 27 Mar 12

Solidarity said :

$12.50?! They were originally $9!

Hipsters? I don’t see that the hipsters were overrepresented in the demographic. Sometimes the simplest explanation is the right one – the burgers were just simply great. I’m a bit worried about the comments below but I’ll have to try them at the new location for myself.

c_c c_c 11:48 pm 27 Mar 12

johnnynorthside said :

A review of the new (but not improved) Brodburger:

Alcohol available, and reasonably priced. Nice one!

Undercover seating. Nice.

How the (bleep) can the van affect the flavour?

I seriously think some people were either overstating the flavour to themselves because of the novelty of the van or because it’s no longer novel, they’re looking harder for imperfections.

Having said that, 70min wait, if true (and you’re a fool if you really waited that long, I’d ask for my cash back after 25mins for a bloody burger), is over the top. But hey, if the sheeple want to do that, fine. I go the Grill’d, they have it ready fresh within 10mins and I can read everything from The Monocle and The Australian to Canberra Times and some arts mags they provide while I wait.
That and they give to a handful of local charities, and their basic burger is only $9.

poetix poetix 5:23 am 28 Mar 12

devils_advocate said :

Woody Mann-Caruso said :

Better to be narrow-minded than ignorant. I was %u201Cpaying out%u201D on veggie burgers. Primarily because they are a contradiction in terms and therefore stupid.

…said the ignoramus. The OED, on the other hand, said:

vegeburger, n.
Pronunciation: Brit. /?v?d???b??g?/ , U.S. /?v?d?i?b?rg?r/
Forms: 19%u2013 vegeburger, 19%u2013 veggie burger. Also with capital initial.
Etymology: < vege- (in vegetable n.) burger n.

burger, n.
Pronunciation: /?b??g?(r)/

Cue somebody whining about how ‘burger’ is an Americanism in three, two…

Unfair. I can’t sleep, it’s 5.30, and despite my feeble vego humour glands, I am having a giggle at how incredibly angry some people can get over burgers. Or flattened round meat or meat substitute roll inserts, as I prefer to call them.

And if this keeps up, there’ll be a Mullyburger.

taninaus taninaus 7:28 am 28 Mar 12

GardeningGirl said :

Keijidosha said :

Duffbowl said :

quote]
I’m curious too? And why did it take so long to open?

I was told it took them a while to sort out the clearances from the health and other regulatory bodies – not surprising considering Silo, Gus’etc.

Ian Ian 8:37 am 28 Mar 12

I don’t believe there is a burger in existence that is worth waiting an hour for.

Katietonia Katietonia 11:00 am 28 Mar 12

Popped into Brodburger on the way home yesterday (a really long and scenic route home) only to find they were closed.

Holden Caulfield Holden Caulfield 11:29 am 28 Mar 12

As noted, they could probably spend a few moments updating this: http://www.brodburger.com.au/

Maybe they could offer a free burger to a web developer in the queue which would have the added benefit of giving them something to do to pass the time. Or would $12.50/hr be below award wages? 😛

Copyright © 2019 Region Group Pty Ltd. All rights reserved.