The chauvinist drives in Canberra?

astrojax 8 January 2012 41

is it just me, or am i in the wrong spot at the right time..? but collecting astress from her place of work (west civic precinct is all i’ll say) of late i have noticed a phenomenon that i thought society divested itself of two or three decades ago.

car pulls up; she waits. he comes out of office – she gets out of driver’s seat, they kiss [or not] and he gets in the driver’s seat and she the passenger seat and off he drives.

what, she’s good enough to drive when he isn’t in the car, but when he’s in the vehicle only he can drive? is this just a canberra phenomenon? am i missing something?

for the record, astress has licence and drives as often, if not more, than i do; but i often pick up astromonkey, then astress and so simply keep one driver for continuity. and also for the record, i have witnessed this above-described behaviour some dozen or so times in the past three or four collections but have not witnessed the inverse [ie, she drives home once collected by him]. also, for clarity, it has only once or twice been a ‘bloke’s car’, like a v8 beast thing – usually is nondescript, common marque…

any thoughts? are you one of these collectees/ors?? please explain.

41 Responses to The chauvinist drives in Canberra?
astrojax astrojax 11:21 am 10 Jan 12

Mumbucks said :

Perhaps the blokes don’t get to drive the car much hence the change over.I don’t have a problem with changing drivers.As long as you are sober and not talking on the phone . Maybe people like it that way. Why should they be reprimanded for living a peaceful life. I didn’t think there was anything called fem road rage
until now.

who’s reprimanding? all i was doing is seeking explanations for behaviour that intrigued me, s’all. and i have had it in the replies [thanks].

TheDancingDjinn TheDancingDjinn 10:20 am 09 Jan 12

dpm said :

TheDancingDjinn said :

OP why do you give enough of a crap about people who you don’t know or have no bareing on your life so much that you decided to write an essay on it, and share it with the rest of us?Seriously? you have an issue if a man drives and a woman doesn’t? – what you probably caught was me, i hate driving in Civic or Barton or any other stupid place filled with people wearing ties – (you’d think that them having such jobs would require the intelligence to cross the road without me having to swerve to miss them.) I plain refuse to drive in Civic, won’t do it – never will! What you caught was probably the furthest from chauvinist as you could get. Try knowing the people your talking about rather than just labeling them women haters.

To me, it’s always a little concering when someone with a drivers licence avoids driving in certain (normal) conditions. For example, I have a friend who plans all trips based on only making left hand turns too. I say, if you have a fear (that is not actually dangerous), you should meet it! 🙂

How did you get fear from my post? – i don’t drive in Civic for the plain reason that it has changed alot and i don’t go there too often. So on the times i do have to be in Civic i don’t know the way around anymore – what used to be carparks are now builings and what were bulidings became car parks- if your not there everyday then how would you know all the changes and be able to navigate the place and find where i need to go ? My not driving in Civic has not one thing to do with fear – i also hate having to jam my breaks on for Public Servent asshat’s who think that they can out run my car and so run into the road – if the little green man is not beeping and in a walking motiong flashing on that tiny screen then don’t walk into the road – if i hit you then i am going to make sure you get me a new car for your stupidity.

dpm dpm 9:13 am 09 Jan 12

TheDancingDjinn said :

Peewee Slasher Peewee Slasher 9:01 am 09 Jan 12

Does it really matter? “Some girls do, some girls don’t” and I imagine, the same goes for men.
Yes, I’ve seen it happen outside my office. What they do is their business and observing them doing so doesn’t implicitly reveal anything about their relationship.

My wife doesn’t have a driver’s licence – completely her choice. Someone observing me get into my ecology destroyer might assume I’m being chauvinistic. “A picture tells a thousand words” but not all of them are accurate.

Thumper Thumper 8:21 am 09 Jan 12

Ms Thumper likes driving. I couldn’t be bothered.

Works very well.

dixyland dixyland 7:33 am 09 Jan 12

EvanJames said :

I’ve not seen it in the US

Yes, the US is such a beacon of enlightenment

Mumbucks Mumbucks 11:57 pm 08 Jan 12

until now.

MartianMick MartianMick 9:34 pm 08 Jan 12

I feel that it does not matter.

obediah obediah 8:56 pm 08 Jan 12

My wife and I do this kind of swap weekly (on days I don’t ride to work) – and I get dropped off on the western side of the city (dun dun dun…). So I could be THE collectee under critical observation!

My wife prefers not to drive/enjoys being driven. Don’t worry I’m entirely useless with directions so she’s always the navigator! Its only if I’m tired that I might ask to be driven instead.

astrojax astrojax 5:34 pm 08 Jan 12

Deref said :

astrojax said :

but the title was deliberately baiting to get you to notice.

Have you always been a troll or is it a new hobby for you?

who’s that stomping on my bridge?

screaming banshee screaming banshee 5:26 pm 08 Jan 12

Personally I’d drive about 90 percent of the time when we are both in the car but on a pickup or drop off pickee/dropee always rides shotgun.

Another one if seen is the fuel stop, where the passenger fills the car. As a driver I always fill, as a passenger I’ll volunteer to fill for points but other times I’ve plainly said.”you’re drivin’!”

I couldn’t stop laughing one day when I saw a late 80’s mazda 323 pull up with a rather large female driver. A rake skinny guy got out of the passenger side to fill the car…I call him cletis.

Solidarity Solidarity 5:14 pm 08 Jan 12

It’s not that she can’t drive, more the fact that I feel uneasy when i’m not driving.

Waiting For Godot Waiting For Godot 4:30 pm 08 Jan 12

This is done for safety reasons. Everybody knows about woman drivers and the many crashes they have. Women’s brains are ten percent smaller than men’s brains so it stands to reason they have trouble with the basics of driving and complying with road rules.

Jethro Jethro 4:22 pm 08 Jan 12

Deref said :

astrojax said :

but the title was deliberately baiting to get you to notice.

Have you always been a troll or is it a new hobby for you?

There’s a bit of troll in everyone.

Deref Deref 3:50 pm 08 Jan 12

astrojax said :

but the title was deliberately baiting to get you to notice.

Have you always been a troll or is it a new hobby for you?

astrojax astrojax 3:32 pm 08 Jan 12

ps0104 said :

Me thinks you are reading into things a little too much astrojax…

i suspect you’re probably right – i just get bored waiting for astress taking too long and read too much into the daily goings on of folk about whom i know nothing, so the fertile brain goes into overdrive and makes it up. s’fun but!

ps0104 ps0104 2:37 pm 08 Jan 12

You have quite possibly observed me (and my wife)! We do exactly this. There is nothing chauvinist or sinister about it. She is a perfectly capable driver but doesnt particularly like driving. I don’t mind driving, and most of the time actually quite enjoy it. The solution? She drives from her workplace to mine, picks me up, and then I drive the rest of the way home. Everyone is happy.

Me thinks you are reading into things a little too much astrojax…

Innovation Innovation 2:27 pm 08 Jan 12

And another reason that I remember for another couple was – the car was not insured for another driver so the owner took over the driving asap.

Innovation Innovation 2:25 pm 08 Jan 12

Other reasons I haven’t seen here are:
– because of a disability it is painful for one partner to drive and they choose not to whenever possible;
– the taller partner drives when there is a third passenger as we suspect it is safer for a backseat passenger to sit on the left hand side of the car especially when there is more leg room over there.

buzz819 buzz819 1:55 pm 08 Jan 12

Yeah, yeah I’ve got thoughts, why is that people can’t go about their own lives without having to justify themselves to other people?

No one wonder people think Canberra is full of backward thinking asshats, I think it’s because it kinda is full of those people.