The Compliance Targeting Team unveiled – Unregistered drivers beware!

johnboy 3 November 2008 47

ACT Policing has announced the formation of a “Compliance Targeting Team (CTT), comprising of ACT Policing officers and ACT Government representatives will target unregistered, uninsured and defective vehicles and unlicensed drivers on Canberra’s main arterial roads through the highly-successful RAPID plate-recognition system.”

Unsurprisingly it turns out that people driving unregistered vehicles are also much more likely to warrant further attention than drivers who can keep their rego up to date.

“Unlicensed drivers in unregistered or uninsured vehicles are disproportionately represented in national fatal motor vehicle statistics,” Supt Colbran said.

“Injuries suffered as a result of a collision involving an uninsured vehicle may not be covered by third party insurance leading to lengthy judicial processes to recoup medical expenses and damage.

“Drivers who ignore the basics of registering their car, are more likely to ignore other road rules, placing other drivers at risk.

“The earlier these drivers are detected, the safer it is for everyone”,

I think the vast majority of us will be pleased that picking up the unregistered is going to become a systemic process.

Tags

What’s Your opinion?

47 Responses to
The Compliance Targeting Team unveiled – Unregistered drivers beware!
Showing only Website comments
Newest to Oldest
Oldest to Newest
ant 9:18 pm 04 Nov 08

The $608 figure for ACT rego is accurate, it’s what I paid. That’s the lot though, including tax and third party etc. I can’t believe that I’d pay $218 in NSW. It’s not apples vs apples.

Special G 8:14 pm 04 Nov 08

ilmarinen – did you get quotes on the green slips and add it to those figures. I find my actual registration fee is quite low it is the CTP where I get stung big time.

Add to that the AFP don’t care how much revenue the govt makes – it has no relevance on their position at all.

Bundybear 5:21 pm 04 Nov 08

@ilmarinen. If those figures are accurate you just made a bloody good argument for removing state governments.

ilmarinen 4:58 pm 04 Nov 08

ACT 0-975kg passenger carrying vehicles $608.35
Vic private or business use up to 4500kg MRC $178
NSW Cars, station wagons and trucks up to 975kg $218
Qld 2 rotors/4 cylinders $263 registration renewal total
Tas Class ‘A’ light vehicle $507 renewal ($72.85 registration fee)
SA 4 cylinders or less $95
WA light vehicle up to 4500kg $12.15+$16 per 100kg

Yeah gee, I wonder why the AFP care so much about unregistered vehicles in the ACT..

Holierthanthou 4:20 pm 04 Nov 08

110 is probably a bit fast for the parkway, it might look a bit like a freeway, but the traffice density is much higher and there is more incoming and outgoing traffic. Also with this speed you would have to make off road cycling facilities along the same route.

Perhaps it could be 110 between 7pm and 5am.

ChrisinTurner 2:34 pm 04 Nov 08

youami said :

Excellent news! We get to remember another TLA! But on a more serious note, I pay my registration and license to drive so I totally support the move to crack down on recalcitrants. The only problem I have is WRT (another TLA if you noticed) speed limits on ACT (a TLA) roads. NRMA (a FLA) did a survey in NSW (a TLA) with the Government about speed limits and the fact that there are too many and not consistent. In the ACT they are not consistent and not representative of the road and conditions. ok ok, I really just wanted to say make Adelaide Av and Yarra Glen 100k and Tuggeranong Parkway, Monaro etc, 110k. And on the reverse side, Alinga St, Bunda St, etc, are all 50k, reduce them to 40k.

YOUR SPEED LIMIT CHANGES ARE EXCELLENT!!

Roads ACT is doing a review of speed limits in shopping precincts like Bunda Street, where 50 KM/hr is ridiculous.

DJ 11:53 am 04 Nov 08

poptop said :

So the AFP and miscellaneous ACT bureaucrats are going to identify unregistered cars and unlicenced drivers? I presume they will then chase these miscreants at high speed for extended periods with lights and sirens and sound and fury.

Sounds like we’ll have a high old time on the arterial roads for a while.

Look twice before proceeding through those intersections, people.

Are you fishing for comments to have reasonable people moderated for responding to this rubbish?

Hard to know where to begin pointing out the stupidity of your post so I wont. You are a goose.

Holierthanthou 11:41 am 04 Nov 08

This a great move.

Dave F 11:13 am 04 Nov 08

Hopefully this will also mean less cars on the road with only one brake light working.

Lenient 10:57 am 04 Nov 08

I got held up in the jam caused by this yesterday. I wished I was rather on my bike, then I would have whizzed by giving a “ha ha” to the stuck cars and a bigger “HA HA” to the naughty naughty kiddies getting their just deserves. As it was I was stuck and without a frangipangi sticker on me either.

Where can I get frangipangi stickers for bikes?

I did notice a bike go past and surprisingly the police did pull them over for being unregistered. Why oh why did you people not vote for AMP??????

Special G 9:45 am 04 Nov 08

Whatsup – the delay in traffic is not caused by the plod (who calls them blogs – that’s a new one). It is caused by useless people wanting to gawk as they drive past and almost causing accidents. Nothing to see here carry on.

Minime2 – try using paragraphs – it makes your posts easier to read.

Thumper 9:15 am 04 Nov 08

*Woof*

astrosapien 8:23 am 04 Nov 08

Great news!! There are heaps of them out there. After all, anyone riding a bicycle is riding an unregistered vehicle!!

**Sits back smiling and waits to see if anyone bites…**

Whatsup 7:33 am 04 Nov 08

Tooks said :

AG Canberra said :

This little “force” was in action on the Monaro Highway last week – at 5.30pm.

Now I’m all for getting bombs off the road but why do the insepctions on a major arterial during peak hour? The traffic was banked back to Hindmarsh from Rose Cottage….yes they are doing a worthy job but did they really have to inconvenience thousands of us in the process???

Yes, it’s annoying to be delayed an extra 5-10 minutes driving home after a long day at work, but there are a lot of unregistered vehicles and unlicensed drivers being taken off the road.

It wasn’t a 5 -10 minute delay. Try an extra half hour and a missed appointment.
I am not complaining about the need to do this work, but what about putting on some more staff to keep the traffic moving. Most people will put up with short delays in the name of making our roads safer.

roflmao 12:00 am 04 Nov 08

it is good getting unregisted cars off the road, they are more likely to break the law and in turn cause actidents the guy who was hit by a ute early this week was probly hit by a unregisted car. it explains why they wouldn’t stay to hear there sentance.

minime2 11:20 pm 03 Nov 08

Yeah, they don’t have to chase them, just surprise them with blogs jumping out front of them after being RAPIDed(?) around the previous bend. Only takes point-something-of-a-second to check via satellite ownership/rego/licence validity. The local blogs have been doing this for ages in town – they often work around Mitchell early mornings, and on Gundaroo until the pullout was removed by a million-dollar roundabout; this is just a press release to let folk know WHAT they were doing with these strange devices and stacks of police cars and blog people. I was informed unofficially that early morning is a good time to catch the unregistered (and believe it or not! a high percentage of them there miscreants are also unlicenced)as the cars are generally the proverbial P.O.S. sneakely driven to early-start jobs. But the odd late-model turns up too. It is huge fine, and turns out to be cheaper to actually register the car … if, of course, one had the $$ in the first place. So, if one cannot afford to register, obviously they cannot afford the fine… which is usually higher than the one for assaults, robberies, housebreaking, speeding, drug dealing and possibly murder (if that was an offence in the ACT). Very circular.

ant 11:05 pm 03 Nov 08

While they’re at it, I hope they’ll get all those cars with frangipani stickers on, too.

Tooks 9:50 pm 03 Nov 08

poptop said :

Sounds like we’ll have a high old time on the arterial roads for a while.

Look twice before proceeding through those intersections, people.

That is without a doubt the most idiotic comment I’ve read on this site for a long time.

54-11 9:49 pm 03 Nov 08

Agreed, P1.

About time the constabulary did something other than just enforce speed limits. By concentrating on just one type of offence, it effectively says that anything else goes.

Tooks 9:47 pm 03 Nov 08

AG Canberra said :

This little “force” was in action on the Monaro Highway last week – at 5.30pm.

In a word, yes. High volume traffic is the best time to run these campaigns. Pretty pointless doing it at the quietest time of day. Perhaps if people didn’t stop to sticky beak while driving past, then traffic would move more freely.

Copyright © 2019 Region Group Pty Ltd. All rights reserved.