The Conder window massacre

johnboy 27 December 2011 50
scratched glass in conder

ACT Policing is investigating property damage to twelve businesses at the Lanyon Marketplace in Conder over the weekend.

Around 9.30am yesterday (Monday, December 26), police attended the McDonalds restaurant at the Lanyon Marketplace and were shown a number of windows that had been ‘tagged’ by scratching the glass.

Police searched the nearby area and found an additional eleven stores had glass windows marked with the same ‘tag’ used at the McDonalds restaurant.

Forty windows were damaged in total, with the estimated damage exceeding $30,000.

Anyone who witnessed any suspicious activity around the Lanyon Marketplace over the weekend is asked to contact Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000, or via the Crime Stoppers website on www.act.crimestoppers.com.au. Information can be provided anonymously.

[Courtesy ACT Policing]

50 Responses to The Conder window massacre
Violet68 Violet68 8:33 pm 29 Dec 11

Awwww see, it really is possible to be good at something without necessarily having the skills or experience. Just depends on the beholder xo

Classified Classified 7:41 pm 29 Dec 11

Tooks said :

If I am an unskilled and inexperienced ballerina, then I am a bad ballerina.

I don’t care what anyone says. I think you’re a wonderful ballerina.

Violet68 Violet68 6:56 pm 29 Dec 11

Valleyboy……all I said was I think you should use your right brain a bit more. Just a suggestion. Hardly a criticism. Sorry you took it so personally……that might just be a sign of emotion. Way to go!

Valleyboy Valleyboy 6:30 pm 29 Dec 11

Violet68 said :

Next……
Yep, you’re right. Obviously, I should use the right-hand side of my brain more. You’ve no idea what a handicap it is living with a brain where the logical, critically-thinking left-hand side has the upper hand.

I wouldn’t be so quick to put down people who don’t think as “critically” as you. Try living on the wildside, or would it be too painful to pry open that right side just a wee bit?

But you were quite happy to criticise me first for not being right-brained enough for you.

What a colossal cheek. Pot, kettle, black.

Thanks for playing, Violet. You’ve been most entertaining. Thank you, linesmen; thank you, ballboys.

Violet68 Violet68 5:46 pm 29 Dec 11

Tooks said :

Violet68 said :

Your reading comprehension is very poor, isn’t it? You said being unskilled and inexperienced doesn’t make you a bad parent. Of course it does! It may not be a parent’s fault they are unskilled and inexperienced, but the result of being unskilled and inexperienced at something, means you are bad at it.

If I am an unskilled and inexperienced driver, then I am a bad driver.
If I am an unskilled and inexperienced footballer, then I am a bad footballer.
If I am an unskilled and inexperienced ballerina, then I am a bad ballerina.

Do you get the message yet? That doesn’t mean you can’t learn these skills, gain experience and become good at something, but before that happens, you’re not going to be very good, are you?

Not so much of a reading and comprehension problem. More of a WTF problem. Tell me, how DO you gain the skills and experience to become good at something? Were you a first born child….or did you have the luxury of being second or even third born (by that time your parents would have been experts!). God forbid you were an only child!!! Your parents would have been REALLY bad at parenting (according to you). Wonder why middle children have issues then……if their parents have already had the chance to “get good” at parenting?

I know young first time parents and I know mature first time parents. Both groups have their strengths and weaknesses. I’ve also met people with natural abilities for sports, music and dance……same with parenting. I really don’t see your point. I do like the bit where you say “it may not be the parent’s fault” though 😉

Next……

Valleyboy Valleyboy 5:26 pm 29 Dec 11

Violet68 said :

Valleyboy said :

Adopted into the Western context, “it takes a village” allows the villagers — otherwise known as “society” — to pick up some of the child-raising tab and to take some of the blame when the child turns out malevolent, but not, it seems, to pass criticism on how poorly their investment in the child has performed.

Are you seriously going to relate the meaning of an old African proverb to American politics and investment performances? I think you need to work on using the right side of your brain.

Having confirmed what I thought with some quick ‘Net research: the left-hand side of the brain is used for functions like language, logic and critical thinking, while the right-hand side of the brain deals with functions like emotions, intuition and creativity.

Tooks Tooks 5:21 pm 29 Dec 11

Violet68 said :

Tooks, are you serious?
Were you born with the innate skills to drive or did you have to read a book and have lessons to learn HOW to drive? Are you always well enough to drive? Ever had an accident? Ever break the road rules? Do you drive 24 hours per day, 7 days per week? If you had a disability, would you need modifications and support to be able to continue driving? None of these things would necessarily make you a bad driver, but may actually indicate your humanity. Driving is not a full time, lifetime job but parenting is. Fark, what are you expecting Stepford parents and children?

If I am an unskilled and inexperienced driver, then I am a bad driver.
If I am an unskilled and inexperienced footballer, then I am a bad footballer.
If I am an unskilled and inexperienced ballerina, then I am a bad ballerina.

Violet68 Violet68 5:12 pm 29 Dec 11

Tooks, are you serious?

Tooks Tooks 4:28 pm 29 Dec 11

What a load of crap. Of course it makes them bad parents. As a driver, if I don’t have the skills or experience, I am a bad driver. Same goes with parenting and pretty much anything else you can think of.

Violet68 Violet68 3:52 pm 29 Dec 11

No need for personal attacks John Boy or offers to mentor/discipline my children Classified. Interesting how it becomes personal when a bit of collective responsibility is mentioned. Oh well, if anything goes wrong in your families….you will only have yourselves or your Mum’s to blame…..good luck with that 🙂

That’s what I’ve always thought, if I do something wrong, then it is my fault, I don’t go around blaming society.

I don’t go looking for a hand out, I don’t look for someone else to blame, I take responsibility for what I have done.

If you read what I have written, it says if something “goes” wrong in your families. I didn’t say if you “do” something wrong. There is a difference.
Why is it that when I object to a young child being publicly identified and labelled before it has even grown up, and suggest that the incident on this thread could be due to more than “bad parenting” that I am “going around blaming society?”.
I’m glad you can take responsibility for your own actions. Some people on RA would blame the failures of your Mother……..

Jethro Jethro 2:57 pm 29 Dec 11

johnboy said :

Classified said :

Obviously we wouldn’t take the children from parents for the occasional misdemeanor, but in cases where parents are consistently criminal and/or neglectful, and kids are demonstrably starting down the same road, removing the kids and putting them in a better environment would be well worth trying. For such kids, they’ll typically turn out criminals anyway, and this way they’ll have some better role models and be better cared for.

And now for the tricky bit… that better environment is?

It is tricky, but being difficult doesn’t make something the wrong thing to do.

If you have a parent or parents with numerous convictions for things like assault, theft, robbery, domestic violence, etc and who has made no attempts to fix their life and who is popping out kids, there is a serious need for the children to be removed. and who has known behavioural and/or drug problems, then I think there are serious grounds for considering the removal of the children, preferably at as young an age as possible. Too often it is about giving the parents more and more chances, which means giving the kids less and less of a chance.

buzz819 buzz819 2:56 pm 29 Dec 11

Violet68 said :

Classified said :

Violet68 said :

Classified said :

johnboy said :

Classified said :

And now for the tricky bit… that better environment is?

Not an easy question, nor a cheap solution.

Here’s an idea……It takes a village to raise a child.

No problems. I’ll happily mentor and teach your children, provided you don’t try to get in my way when I discipline them.

If you read the article, you would see that it’s about developing a sense of community and wider supports for children and families because we don’t seem to have that extended network anymore.

Violet68 Violet68 2:52 pm 29 Dec 11

Valleyboy said :

Violet68 Violet68 2:36 pm 29 Dec 11

2604 said :

Violet68 said :

Here’s an idea……It takes a village to raise a child.

An “idea” or a “cliche”?

I always thought the “it takes a village” line was a massive cop-out by parents who wanted to blame society for the way their kids turned out. What it “takes” is for parents to spend a lot of time with their children, and to behave in a way that sets a good example.

Some parents have to work. Some have to do it all on their own. Some are ill or have a disability. Some don’t have the skills or are inexperienced. Doesn’t necessarily mean they are bad parents or that their children are going to develop into anti social deviants. To quote Jethro “Not every child born into a bad family will become a criminal and not every child born into a good home will walk the straight and narrow”. What constitutes a “good” home may not always produce a well adjusted human being and being part of a “bad” family can develop resilience and may produce a young person determined to live a different way.

Extended support networks are known protective factors for children and young people. For example, positive and caring teachers, sports coaches, social and church groups, friends and neighbours. Children and young people learn different perspectives, skills and how to relate to others through MORE than their parents and home.

If any of you can fill me in on how a parent can control social factors, genetics, illness, financial status, learning disabilities etc etc while still meeting ALL of their child’s emotional, social and physical needs, please do let me know! IMO mother/parent blaming is a “cop out” by people who are too self interested to take on a bit of collective responsibility.

Valleyboy Valleyboy 2:35 pm 29 Dec 11

The originally African “it takes a village” line was adopted and popularised by Hillary Clinton in US domestic politics as a justification for increased federal spending on family-specific benefits and concessions there to buy votes from the “families” demographic (rather like John Howard’s middle-class welfare initiatives). In Australia, it indeed takes the village to provide baby bonus, paid parental leave, schools, medical programmes, and various family-specific benefits that one hears enumerated in federal Budget speeches and in election promises.

2604 2604 1:38 pm 29 Dec 11

Violet68 said :

Here’s an idea……It takes a village to raise a child.

An “idea” or a “cliche”?

Violet68 Violet68 1:34 pm 29 Dec 11

Classified said :

Violet68 said :

Classified said :

johnboy said :

Classified said :

And now for the tricky bit… that better environment is?

Not an easy question, nor a cheap solution.

Here’s an idea……It takes a village to raise a child.

Classified Classified 1:19 pm 29 Dec 11

Violet68 said :

Classified said :

johnboy said :

Classified said :

And now for the tricky bit… that better environment is?

Not an easy question, nor a cheap solution.

Here’s an idea……It takes a village to raise a child.

Violet68 Violet68 1:04 pm 29 Dec 11

johnboy said :

Still trying to blame everyone else for your own failures Violet?

What failures are you accusing me of?

johnboy johnboy 12:43 pm 29 Dec 11

Still trying to blame everyone else for your own failures Violet?

Region Group Pty Ltd