News

1 May 2018: Daily flights Canberra
to Singapore and the world

The crash at Pooh Corner

By johnboy - 9 March 2009 49

The ABC brings word that two Canberra women (48 and 24 years old) have died descending Clyde Mountain.

Apparently the area was shrouded in rain and fog at the time.

What’s Your opinion?

49 Responses to
The crash at Pooh Corner
Showing only Website comments
Newest to Oldest
Oldest to Newst
Granny 11:46 am 11 Mar 09

I’m with Sgt Bungers!

peterh 11:15 am 11 Mar 09

Thumper said :

Speed cameras would fix it all. No doubt…

But seriously, concentrate and drive to the conditions. Simple as that.

thumper, they wouldn’t. the idiots slow for the camera, then speed up again. or jam on their brakes, creating an accident…

Thumper 10:37 am 11 Mar 09

Speed cameras would fix it all. No doubt…

But seriously, concentrate and drive to the conditions. Simple as that.

ant 10:10 am 11 Mar 09

It’s bizarre that people will try to do that road at speed. I like mountain roads, and in fact equalled the unofficial record for getting from Mt Beauty to Falls Creek a few years back, but I do the Clyde very slowly. It’s steep, there’s frequent bad curves (and the infamous Government Bend… too steep and too tight), and you get classic mountain weather there too. First time I drove it was on my Ps (except ACT drivers didn’t have p plates then) and I got brake fade!

People who come to grief on that road really need to explain themselves.

Sgt.Bungers 10:00 am 11 Mar 09

Speed limits are the majority of the problem. Most Canberrans spend their time driving on wide, excellent roads with relatively low speed limits, thus get used to driving at the speed limit, all the time. Get to the Clyde’s twisties with a 70km/h limit, and that’s what too many people try to stick to, rain hail or shine. It only takes one moron not thinking about how fast they’re going to put your entire family in wheelchairs for the rest of their life.

Variable speed limits will cause more problems, as again it’s removing the need for people to think.

My solution… Get rid of speed limits all together. Impose a law stating that if you cause a crash which results in someone being injured, automatic 10 years in prison. Kill someone that’s 20. Kill a family of four that’s 80 years.

Watch how quickly people re-evaluate the value vs risks when it comes to the 5 minutes they save by driving somewhere quickly, vs driving somewhere sensibly. Suddenly you’ll get people thinking about the way they’re driving, rather than just adhearing to the “magic number” on some piddly signs.

peterh 10:32 pm 10 Mar 09

My wife and I took the kids down to broulee for a holiday, only 2 weeks ago. I drive a camry altise, older model to the new body kit, v6, and an automatic, and i did the clyde in 2nd, for most of the way. I didn’t go above 40 at any stage of the sharp and tight corners, not because I couldn’t, but because my family was in the car, and it wasn’t my right to put them at risk. I also had my lights on, and made it down with very little stress. There were cars that overtook me in the slow lanes, but for most part, many drivers just slotted in behind me and we all drove down slowly.

It is the responsibility of the driver to recognise the road may be different to the last time they drove it. I don’t know what caused the accident being discussed today, but my condolences are with their Families.

bd84 9:22 pm 10 Mar 09

poptop said :

Speed-bump or speed camera? Guess where public opinion will lie with this choice.

A speed bump would make a good launching ramp! One of my family members has also come to grief going down the Clyde in the rain, of course going too fast for the conditions. I’d suggest a wet weather speed limit going down there, the same as there is on the F3 freeway going south into Sydney. Though then the morons driving would still pay not attention and would overtake on the double lines going around a corner as usual. Enforcement on the highway isn’t exactly great, despite the police’s claim to be highly visible.

poptop 1:09 pm 10 Mar 09

caf 1:03 pm 10 Mar 09

Well the speed limit is 90 on the western approach to the mountain, and drops to 70 before the crest, so perhaps better enforcement of that would do the trick Kramer.

Kramer 12:54 pm 10 Mar 09

I have seen heaps of crashes just at the top of the Clyde – I reckon it’s people (and I am guilty of this too), flying up to the crest at 100kph, and down into the descent and fog way too fast. Before they know it they’re into the wall or guard rail. Easy solution – one big speed hump right at the top of the Clyde.

youami 12:51 pm 10 Mar 09

ant said :

I fail to see why fog or whatever is some kind of excuse. It scares me to think I share the road with people who want ot find excuses. If you lose traction and your car goes deolally, it is YOUR fault. It’s always your fault. You f-cked up. You did.

Never a more true statement has been said! I agree, it is always someone’s fault. Unless you are the victim of circumstance where it is someone else’s fault and they crash into you, it is one’s inability to handle the road conditions or themselves that causes accidents. Fatigue = your fault for not sleeping, drink driving = your fault for driving under influence, crash into a tree or roll over from a bend = your fault for not driving to the conditions of the road.

Condolences to anyone affected by accidents, fatal or otherwise, but it is not the road or weather. If drivers are concerned about the road or weather they *can* and *should* slow down or even pull off to the side of the road and let the weather pass. It is not a race down the Mountain.

This leaves me to another point where the adage ‘speed kills’ is not correct. Hitting a tree at 100km/hour will probably cause injury or death but if the road is posted at 100 you are not speeding. Again it comes down to driving to the conditions of the road. I bet you could not do 50km/hour down Bunda St even though that is the posted limit.

A novel thought: Let’s take responsibility for our own actions!

Hells_Bells74 10:46 am 10 Mar 09

Well.. I’ll tell mum to add Mountains to her statement of the past! Thanx ant 😛

Just what I thought too Gobbo 😉

ellingly 9:33 am 10 Mar 09

There’s no innuendo if you don’t refer to it as “the Brown”. e.g. “Went on a dirty weekend with my missus, took her up the brown… and we ended up staying in Bega”.

Gobbo 7:05 am 10 Mar 09

ant said :

Guys, it’s Brown Mountain, not “the Brown”.

I remember the Clyde …

Would that not also be the Clyde Mountain, not ‘the Clyde’?

🙂

ant 12:33 am 10 Mar 09

Guys, it’s Brown Mountain, not “the Brown”. I remember the Clyde from the days when we had to get a punt across the Clyde river at Nelligen, and oh boy it was hairy. And the weather hasn’t changed.

Fair point Old Canberran, although I base my opinion on driving a powerful modern car without towing, so find the Clyde’s wide lanes on the hairpins make things easier than the narrow lanes on the Brown. Light towing wouldn’t be much of an issue, but if you were hauling a decent sized caravan up, then yeah, the Clyde would be a pain.

I have towed on the Brown before, and just did my standard trick of leaving the V8 in 2nd and rolling down, occasionally brushing the brakes for the tight turns.

old canberran 8:22 pm 09 Mar 09

No I wouldn’t, Al but then I was talking about the roads not the drivers. It’s much easier to tow a big van up the Brown as it’s not as steep as the Clyde and it hasn’t go the same tight hairpin bends. It also has fewer Canberra drivers. 🙂

Gungahlin Al 7:22 pm 09 Mar 09

old canberran said :

VYBerlinaV8_the_one_they_all_copy said :

I don’t think the Cylde is that bad. The Brown Mtn pass between Nimmitabel and Bemboka 100k’s or so further south I think is worse, as is the Jamberoo pass.

The closure of the Clyde might explain why there are so many Canberra number plates down here in Merimbula this weekend. There seems to be more than usual.
Berlina, I can’t agree that the Brown Mountain is worse than the Clyde. I travel the Brown sveral times a year and have been doing so since 1974. It’s certainly longer than the Clyde but it does not have the tight U bends or landslide problems of the Clyde. I used to tow a 22 foot caravan up and down it without any problems at all.

Ah but with a van in tow you wouldn’t be doing the insane speeds that so many Canberran drivers feel the need to drive at would you?

old canberran 6:46 pm 09 Mar 09

VYBerlinaV8_the_one_they_all_copy said :

ant 6:44 pm 09 Mar 09

cranky said :

If you’re really good at tailgating, the car in front will cover your number plate from the camera.

Well that’d be a 3/4 of the Canberra driving population. Conservatively.