News

Avani Terraces - Greenway
Life is looking up

The crash at Pooh Corner

By johnboy - 9 March 2009 49

The ABC brings word that two Canberra women (48 and 24 years old) have died descending Clyde Mountain.

Apparently the area was shrouded in rain and fog at the time.

What’s Your opinion?

49 Responses to
The crash at Pooh Corner
youami 12:51 pm 10 Mar 09

ant said :

I fail to see why fog or whatever is some kind of excuse. It scares me to think I share the road with people who want ot find excuses. If you lose traction and your car goes deolally, it is YOUR fault. It’s always your fault. You f-cked up. You did.

Never a more true statement has been said! I agree, it is always someone’s fault. Unless you are the victim of circumstance where it is someone else’s fault and they crash into you, it is one’s inability to handle the road conditions or themselves that causes accidents. Fatigue = your fault for not sleeping, drink driving = your fault for driving under influence, crash into a tree or roll over from a bend = your fault for not driving to the conditions of the road.

Condolences to anyone affected by accidents, fatal or otherwise, but it is not the road or weather. If drivers are concerned about the road or weather they *can* and *should* slow down or even pull off to the side of the road and let the weather pass. It is not a race down the Mountain.

This leaves me to another point where the adage ‘speed kills’ is not correct. Hitting a tree at 100km/hour will probably cause injury or death but if the road is posted at 100 you are not speeding. Again it comes down to driving to the conditions of the road. I bet you could not do 50km/hour down Bunda St even though that is the posted limit.

A novel thought: Let’s take responsibility for our own actions!

Hells_Bells74 10:46 am 10 Mar 09

Well.. I’ll tell mum to add Mountains to her statement of the past! Thanx ant 😛

Just what I thought too Gobbo 😉

ellingly 9:33 am 10 Mar 09

There’s no innuendo if you don’t refer to it as “the Brown”. e.g. “Went on a dirty weekend with my missus, took her up the brown… and we ended up staying in Bega”.

Gobbo 7:05 am 10 Mar 09

ant said :

Guys, it’s Brown Mountain, not “the Brown”.

I remember the Clyde …

Would that not also be the Clyde Mountain, not ‘the Clyde’?

🙂

ant 12:33 am 10 Mar 09

Guys, it’s Brown Mountain, not “the Brown”. I remember the Clyde from the days when we had to get a punt across the Clyde river at Nelligen, and oh boy it was hairy. And the weather hasn’t changed.

VYBerlinaV8_the_one_ 9:48 pm 09 Mar 09

Fair point Old Canberran, although I base my opinion on driving a powerful modern car without towing, so find the Clyde’s wide lanes on the hairpins make things easier than the narrow lanes on the Brown. Light towing wouldn’t be much of an issue, but if you were hauling a decent sized caravan up, then yeah, the Clyde would be a pain.

I have towed on the Brown before, and just did my standard trick of leaving the V8 in 2nd and rolling down, occasionally brushing the brakes for the tight turns.

old canberran 8:22 pm 09 Mar 09

No I wouldn’t, Al but then I was talking about the roads not the drivers. It’s much easier to tow a big van up the Brown as it’s not as steep as the Clyde and it hasn’t go the same tight hairpin bends. It also has fewer Canberra drivers. 🙂

Gungahlin Al 7:22 pm 09 Mar 09

old canberran said :

VYBerlinaV8_the_one_they_all_copy said :

I don’t think the Cylde is that bad. The Brown Mtn pass between Nimmitabel and Bemboka 100k’s or so further south I think is worse, as is the Jamberoo pass.

The closure of the Clyde might explain why there are so many Canberra number plates down here in Merimbula this weekend. There seems to be more than usual.
Berlina, I can’t agree that the Brown Mountain is worse than the Clyde. I travel the Brown sveral times a year and have been doing so since 1974. It’s certainly longer than the Clyde but it does not have the tight U bends or landslide problems of the Clyde. I used to tow a 22 foot caravan up and down it without any problems at all.

Ah but with a van in tow you wouldn’t be doing the insane speeds that so many Canberran drivers feel the need to drive at would you?

old canberran 6:46 pm 09 Mar 09

VYBerlinaV8_the_one_they_all_copy said :

ant 6:44 pm 09 Mar 09

cranky said :

If you’re really good at tailgating, the car in front will cover your number plate from the camera.

Well that’d be a 3/4 of the Canberra driving population. Conservatively.

cranky 6:42 pm 09 Mar 09

Granny 6:35 pm 09 Mar 09

You know, I don’t see why they can’t alter the software to use speed cameras to measure the distance between two cars and factor in the speed limit to catch people who are tailgating.

ant 6:31 pm 09 Mar 09

+1 on Berlina’s comments. If driving an automatic, and you stick it in 2nd, some loon will instantly appear very close to your tail. And yep, their brakes get a lovely workout all the way down. But they are in a very important hurry.

Hells_Bells74 6:11 pm 09 Mar 09

Oops VY*

Hells_Bells74 6:04 pm 09 Mar 09

Here here VBerlina, was thinking that myself earlier.. Remember my mum telling me to not ride the pedals, but ride the gears down the Clyde and Brown. Yep some other prick with no idea always around too though!