The further declining Canberra Times

johnboy 15 May 2012 37

CityNews is taking much joy in further reports of decline at the Canberra Times:

“The Canberra Times” fell below 30,000 paid sales for its Monday to Friday editions recording a 6.6 per cent drop (to 29,441 copies) and the flagship Saturday edition falling by 8.18 per cent (to 49,178) and Sunday dipped 5.55 per cent (to 31,377).

But when they bundle all of Fairfax’s online properties in the local market they can come up with a solid sounding online number!

37 Responses to The further declining Canberra Times
Gungahlin Al Gungahlin Al 10:13 pm 15 May 12

No matter the problems of the Canberra Times, for City News to be crowing about them this way every few months is unseemly and reflects poorly on them instead.

VicePope said :

Indeed.

Anna Key Anna Key 9:41 pm 15 May 12

cross said :

Roundhead89 said :

I bet the CT will ignore this again tomorrow just like they did with the last lot of shocking circulation figures. I confidently predict that the paper will close within a year.

Yeah lets celebrate the possible loss of 500 Canberra Times and 100’s of associated contractors and suppliers jobs, they can join Harvey Norman employees down at the dole office that should put your taxes up somewhat and really give you something to have a pissy little winge about.

Or maybe the CT could move into the 21st century and offer the Canberra community a decent product.

Martlark Martlark 8:41 pm 15 May 12

I’ve been getting a free Canberra Times delivered un-asked for to my house for the past month. Their sudoku is far superior to that in the SMH. Most of the news is not new but serves well at catching the crumbs from my toast in the morning.

HenryBG HenryBG 7:26 pm 15 May 12

cross said :

Roundhead89 said :

I vote that instead of putting taxes up to pay for increased dole recipients, we reduce the dole.

hoody hoody 6:17 pm 15 May 12

Do the circulation figures include the free CT I get every Saturday at the Belconnen Markets with my fruit and veg.? Does the shop owner buy the papers and then give them away or are they free to him/her? Whatever the case I remember Graham Downie coming to talk to our year 6 class as a CT journalist back in 1980!.

milkman milkman 6:04 pm 15 May 12

cross said :

Roundhead89 said :

Relax. The unions will save us all.

XO_VSOP XO_VSOP 5:48 pm 15 May 12

cross said :

Roundhead89 said :

Shhh Canberra times will not close down in our lifetimes.

cross cross 5:09 pm 15 May 12

Roundhead89 said :

Roundhead89 Roundhead89 4:03 pm 15 May 12

shirty_bear shirty_bear 2:59 pm 15 May 12

VYBerlinaV8_is_back said :

I had a subscription but cancelled it because they didn’t deliver it for several days in a row, and I had to keep calling them to get one sent out.

Screw them and the horse they rode in on.

Yep. Shoddy organisation putting out a shoddy rag. If I wanted to read yesterday’s Tele, I would have bought it yesterday. Death knell can’t be far away.

Holden Caulfield Holden Caulfield 2:34 pm 15 May 12

XO_VSOP said :

Holden Caulfield said :

XO_VSOP said :

City News should focus more on its declining page numbers and ad revenue Than taking a swipe at the Canberra times.

Reckon with their increasing real estate listings that they might be okay on the revenue front.

I think you’re thinking the Canberra Weekly mister! Citynews is lucky to have 4 page or more real estate pages a week.

Yes, you’re right, haha!

c_c c_c 2:30 pm 15 May 12

I’m not sure what is more sad, that they’re now having Woroni editors write their content, or that doing that means the story displays an eloquence often missing from their usual content. Maybe they should just outsource their newsroom and help support the local higher education sector. Can get the SoM and SoA students to write about culture and help their budget woes even!

The content is a joke. The video intro is a zoom of their logo, the music a royalty free track shipped with the video editor software as a free sample. The site puffed up with irrelevant Fairfax adverts and content. And the print edition, I swear they’re spacing out the content more to make it look bigger when in fact there’s less. Basically confucius’ style of journalism – less is more.

VicePope VicePope 2:18 pm 15 May 12

I have had the account for the next six months subscription for a while and remain undecided. Delivery is sporadic at times (non-existent or too late to be of any use) and I have given up calling to get the extra day credited. For the most part, its coverage of local stuff is lightweight and it picks up its better articles from the SMH, Age, Guardian, Independent etc. Once upon a time it was an unmissable paper, with serious content and some lovely whimsy. It should be doing a lot better in this town and its surrounds.

mossrocket mossrocket 2:10 pm 15 May 12

Their website is woeful now that they are syndicating the rest of Fairfax news as news items on their site – the only local content seems to be sports reports and reader submitted photos…

XO_VSOP XO_VSOP 2:00 pm 15 May 12

Holden Caulfield said :

XO_VSOP said :

DrKoresh DrKoresh 1:41 pm 15 May 12

CityNews is that arse-rag that they have for free lying around on the counter at Macca’s and such, for when the cleaning staff have neglected to refill the toilet paper dispensers isn’t it?

Considering that even The Chronicle would be a more informative source for the goings-on in Canberra than CityNews, it strikes me as a bit rich that they can start criticising the CT.

VYBerlinaV8_is_back VYBerlinaV8_is_back 1:38 pm 15 May 12

Screw them and the horse they rode in on.

Holden Caulfield Holden Caulfield 1:34 pm 15 May 12

XO_VSOP said :

City News should focus more on its declining page numbers and ad revenue  Than taking a swipe at the Canberra times.

p1 p1 1:23 pm 15 May 12

I thought the city news was one of those insert magazines that came in the Canberra Times?

XO_VSOP XO_VSOP 1:03 pm 15 May 12