News

Daily flights from Canberra
to Singapore and the world

The Greens oppose water recycling

By Jonathon Reynolds 2 February 2007 31

In a very strange turn of the cards we actually have Deb (I have [ED – Had perhaps?] a right to earn $100,000 a year and live in public housing) Foskey opposing the ultimate recycling of effulent water back to a potable state.

The ABC has the story here

I’m not sure what Deb means by the ACT Govenrment being alarmist by suggesting such a plan… cities like London have been recycling water to potable state for years. In fact the water in London is typically recycled seven times before it reaches the sea.

UPDATED: ED – The Greens feel they have been somewhat misrepresented and invite you to view their media release for a full explanation of their position.

What’s Your opinion?

31 Responses to
The Greens oppose water recycling
Showing only Website comments
Newest to Oldest
Oldest to Newst
Anomoly 4:41 pm 06 Feb 07

I worked at sydney olymic park for a short period and conducted tours of the water reclumation plant. The truth is that recycled water goes through a more strigent clenseing process than the water we currently drink.

The other major benifit of recycleing grey water, which seems to be over looked, is the reduction in effulent which is sent into the oceans.

Sammy 4:22 pm 05 Feb 07

Soda water as you say is just water that’s been carbonated

Indeed, and they are the same price at Woolies at the moment: 83 cents per 1.5 litre bottle.

On the ingredients label for the mineral water it states: Carbonated mineral water

This is ambiguous, but it leads me to believe they carbonate the water after extraction.

johnboy 1:01 pm 03 Feb 07

mineral water contains a lot more salts, the minerals in it that come out of the ground.

sparkling mineral water is *supposed* to come out of the ground carbonated but I suspect that’s pretty rare these days.

Soda water as you say is just water that’s been carbonated.

Sammy 12:13 pm 03 Feb 07

From this NSW Government website:

There is no requirement for approval of the source used to obtain mineral water, but its definition states that it must be obtained from a subterranean water bearing strata.

Sammy 12:12 pm 03 Feb 07

Which raises an interesting point.

Just what is the difference between carbonated mineral and soda water?

Best I can tell mineral water comes from a spring and is carbonated, and soda water is just treated tap water that is carbonated.

They’re basically the same price in the shop-brand.

miz 10:38 am 03 Feb 07

Yeah Sammy your proposal is interesting and sounds fine. I guess I am more concerned about the current commercially available bottled waters.

Sammy 9:28 am 03 Feb 07

Bottled water doesn’t have to come from springs. As I said, you could use Corin or Bendora dams, which are both upstream of the Cotter dam.

miz 10:36 pm 02 Feb 07

Sorry, artificially recycled water from sewage has the yuk factor for me and I’m as green and organic as I can be. And JC I hear you, London water is filth, locals advise boiling if you MUST drink, and add lemon or some other taste disguiser.
Seeing we are on green issues – surely it’s not very environmentally friendly to deplete natural springs (by drinking bottled water) either.

We just need to store *enough* clean water (from rain, preferably) for the population. It will actually rain at some point, there’s just so much hype and so many agendas cynically exploiting the current dry . . . .

bigred 10:25 pm 02 Feb 07

First contribution. Hope it works. Really so many issues to be debated and discussed around water. One observation that confuses me heaps is that if we don’t have enough water here why do we keep watering the Northbourne median strip (usually when I am walking home from lateish)?

Vic Bitterman 7:34 pm 02 Feb 07

Let again proves that the ‘green’ political parties are irrelevant and out of touch.

JC 6:46 pm 02 Feb 07

I am in London at the moment and the water tastes bad, like Adelaide water. Lime they say, so don’t base here as a basis of some comparision. But I cannot see any problem using recycled water, my fear though is as others have pointed out there is a water cycle. Once we start messing with that even more, using tanks, using recycled water etc, we start upsetting the balance downstream. That I think is the main problem with the whole idea.