News

We'll switch your business
to Led lighting for Free*

The Greens oppose water recycling

By Jonathon Reynolds - 2 February 2007 31

In a very strange turn of the cards we actually have Deb (I have [ED – Had perhaps?] a right to earn $100,000 a year and live in public housing) Foskey opposing the ultimate recycling of effulent water back to a potable state.

The ABC has the story here

I’m not sure what Deb means by the ACT Govenrment being alarmist by suggesting such a plan… cities like London have been recycling water to potable state for years. In fact the water in London is typically recycled seven times before it reaches the sea.

UPDATED: ED – The Greens feel they have been somewhat misrepresented and invite you to view their media release for a full explanation of their position.

What’s Your opinion?

31 Responses to
The Greens oppose water recycling
Sammy 4:22 pm 05 Feb 07

Soda water as you say is just water that’s been carbonated

Indeed, and they are the same price at Woolies at the moment: 83 cents per 1.5 litre bottle.

On the ingredients label for the mineral water it states: Carbonated mineral water

This is ambiguous, but it leads me to believe they carbonate the water after extraction.

johnboy 1:01 pm 03 Feb 07

mineral water contains a lot more salts, the minerals in it that come out of the ground.

sparkling mineral water is *supposed* to come out of the ground carbonated but I suspect that’s pretty rare these days.

Soda water as you say is just water that’s been carbonated.

Sammy 12:13 pm 03 Feb 07

From this NSW Government website:

There is no requirement for approval of the source used to obtain mineral water, but its definition states that it must be obtained from a subterranean water bearing strata.

Sammy 12:12 pm 03 Feb 07

Which raises an interesting point.

Just what is the difference between carbonated mineral and soda water?

Best I can tell mineral water comes from a spring and is carbonated, and soda water is just treated tap water that is carbonated.

They’re basically the same price in the shop-brand.

miz 10:38 am 03 Feb 07

Yeah Sammy your proposal is interesting and sounds fine. I guess I am more concerned about the current commercially available bottled waters.

Sammy 9:28 am 03 Feb 07

Bottled water doesn’t have to come from springs. As I said, you could use Corin or Bendora dams, which are both upstream of the Cotter dam.

miz 10:36 pm 02 Feb 07

Sorry, artificially recycled water from sewage has the yuk factor for me and I’m as green and organic as I can be. And JC I hear you, London water is filth, locals advise boiling if you MUST drink, and add lemon or some other taste disguiser.
Seeing we are on green issues – surely it’s not very environmentally friendly to deplete natural springs (by drinking bottled water) either.

We just need to store *enough* clean water (from rain, preferably) for the population. It will actually rain at some point, there’s just so much hype and so many agendas cynically exploiting the current dry . . . .

bigred 10:25 pm 02 Feb 07

First contribution. Hope it works. Really so many issues to be debated and discussed around water. One observation that confuses me heaps is that if we don’t have enough water here why do we keep watering the Northbourne median strip (usually when I am walking home from lateish)?

Vic Bitterman 7:34 pm 02 Feb 07

Let again proves that the ‘green’ political parties are irrelevant and out of touch.

JC 6:46 pm 02 Feb 07

I am in London at the moment and the water tastes bad, like Adelaide water. Lime they say, so don’t base here as a basis of some comparision. But I cannot see any problem using recycled water, my fear though is as others have pointed out there is a water cycle. Once we start messing with that even more, using tanks, using recycled water etc, we start upsetting the balance downstream. That I think is the main problem with the whole idea.

luca 6:18 pm 02 Feb 07

Prof Troy (Pat to his mates) has this to say about the ACT Government’s recycling plan:
“child like”.

He said “…consumers should be helped to slash domestic consumption through a greater use of recycled water within the home for showers, washing and sanitary purposes while European ideas such as dry compost toilets installed in homes by governments might be considered.”.

Often simple solutions can be the most effective. Perhaps Jon should offer to buy each ACT household a brick to shove in its loo?

But Territorians being such impractical types, I guess he’d need to give instructions too!

Woody Mann-Caruso 5:31 pm 02 Feb 07

You didn’t happen to lose a frog recently, did you smokey2?

Mr Evil 4:28 pm 02 Feb 07

“Open your mouth and I’ll piss into it.”

Isn’t that the title of a German movie?

Sammy 3:29 pm 02 Feb 07

Incidentally, I observed a system like this operating in Coffs Harbour over christmas. There is a servo in the main street that sells local spring water by anything from half a litre up to many litres.

Sammy 3:27 pm 02 Feb 07

I don’t drink tap water, as I prefer sparkling mineral (or soda) water.

The shop-brand (Woolies or Coles) costs me about 1000 times as much as tap water (60-70 cents per litre), but it’s a price i’m willing to pay. Presumably the majority of that cost is logistic cost — bottling, transport, shelf stacking etc.

What we need is for the Government to retain a small dam upstream of the Cotter (Corin, Bendora) that contains only catchment water (not recycled). If they pump into the Cotter, then this happens anyway.

They could then sell this water to commercial companies for drinking purposes. You drop into your local service station and refill your own bottle or drum, thus reducing transport and bottling costs.

A carbonation machine, possibly at point-of-sale, could carbonate water for those who like it fizzy.

I’ve tried home carbonation — with a soda bulb — but the water always has a taint.