The Hummer of Charnwood. Images of Canberra

johnboy 29 April 2011 32

Charnwood Hummer

Owen has sent this in with the following note:

Photograph taken at the back of the Charnwood shops, and on the back of the vehicle are the words, “3.9 tonnes of pure muscle”

Google tells me ( while looking for the price of the beast ) they went out of production last year. This fellow is in first class condition.

Got an image of Canberra you want to share with the world? Email it to images@the-riotact.com .

32 Responses to The Hummer of Charnwood. Images of Canberra
Gerry-Built Gerry-Built 8:52 am 01 May 11

Innovation said :

-About 24km/L [Wikipedia]
-do aerodynamics really matter below 80kmh (ie city driving/crusin’)?

georgesgenitals georgesgenitals 8:31 am 01 May 11

Personally I’ve nvere understood the 4WD/SUV thing. They’re slow, handle like crap and use too much fuel. Unless you actually have a need for regular offroad use, they’re a wank.

If you want more than average space or towing, there are vehicles with far fewer compromises.

breda breda 8:25 pm 30 Apr 11

Innovation, you certainly are the very model of a modern social engineer. I bet you have all kinds of schemes to punish people who spend their money in ways you don’t like!

I am no great fan of Hummers, but if people want to spend their own money (not yours, Innovation) on an expensive car that also uses a lot of (highly taxed) juice, what business is it of yours? They are already paying a financial penalty, but since they still choose to do it, further and stricter measures are apparently required.

It sometimes seems that certain sections of the community just wish there was a great big Naughty Step that those who don’t conform to their preferred lifestyle could be sent to. Failing that, confiscating their pocket money, even if they have earned it, is the next best thing.

Your chances of converting the average Hummer owner into a public transport-loving greenie using these methods is somewhere between Buckley’s and none, and you know it. But ooh, the thrill of punishing the wicked is just so delicious!

Innovation Innovation 4:54 pm 30 Apr 11

kb1971 – so the rego is even less (ie somewhere between $900 and a grand).

I didn’t write that they should be “outlawed”. I wrote that they should be “taxed off the road”. For example, if the States and Territories could get their act together, vehicles could be better proportionately taxed based on a weight/fuel consumption vs distance travelled basis, meaning these things would be driven only as needed. It would also create other cost effective incentives such as sharing car ownership, owning second fuel efficient (cheaply taxed) vehicles, increased public transport useage, a more competitve market for hiring out larger vehicles etc. Of course some concessions might be required for some businesses and farmers etc that have a genuine need for “approved” large but fuel efficient vehicles and for rural communities who might get by with a small car but travel large distances.

Also, just brainstorming but, if these larger and/or inefficient vehicles had a marginally lower speed limit (to partly offset the higher fuel consumption compared to a smaller car) this might discourage people from driving them other than when needed or purely for ego purposes.

I don’t know about the fuel efficiency of the hummer, but I suspect that it has the aerodynamics of a house brick and that there are more efficient vehicles that suit whatever purpose many owners want them for (unless it is just owned for ego).

Last, I agree that electric vehicles are not very practical or cost effective for most people – yet. But there are plenty of cost effective small fuel efficient cars that suit the majority of most car trips for most people.

KB1971 KB1971 9:13 pm 29 Apr 11

triffid- they are based on a Chevy Silverado, the H3 was loosely based on the Colarado (Rodeo, Dmax/GreatWall)

P1 – the tow hooks that come from the factory are cast steel

Innovation – they dont weigh 3.9 to tonnes, that sticker is bullshit. They are about 2.5 tonnes full of fuel. They should be outlawed off the roads??? So should every car, even they hybrids with their oh so envirnomentally unfriendly batteries……..

Yep, they are a pointless vehicle but so are electric cars that cost a bomb with 100km of range.

screaming banshee screaming banshee 8:08 pm 29 Apr 11

Black? I thought these things only came in
– Watch out for my lousy driving yellow; or
– Oops I just backed over my kids red

Rawhide Kid Part3 Rawhide Kid Part3 5:32 pm 29 Apr 11

triffid said :

Innovation said :

Where are the Greens when you need them.

Out communing with nature (just don’t ask too many questions about how they got there. What? No! No! That’s not my Land Cruiser parked over there).

It the mountain bike over here.

triffid triffid 4:19 pm 29 Apr 11

Innovation said :

Where are the Greens when you need them.

Innovation Innovation 4:08 pm 29 Apr 11

I just looked up ACT rego’s website. If it is 3.9 tonnes then it seems that they pay $1194.40 rego (not counting any additional cost for the rego plate). Doesn’t seem anywhere near enough to me. They should be taxed off the road – especially since they don’t seem to serve any purpose.

Where are the Greens when you need them.

troll-sniffer troll-sniffer 3:45 pm 29 Apr 11

In America apparently you can buy bumper stickers that are along the lines of:

When you’re finished lookin’ at ma truck, come around the back and you can check out ma small willy”

Do you think they mean a Hummer owner invariably has a Jeep as well?

EvanJames EvanJames 3:03 pm 29 Apr 11

p1 said :

triffid said :

Waddayareckon p1 . . . it’s conspicuously free of retrieval points, innit?

I don’t think that’s because it doesn’t need them.

I’ve seen one with tow points. Pretty sure they were plastic.

Tow points or no, I’m certainly not bloody towing that thing with my car.

Pommy bastard Pommy bastard 3:00 pm 29 Apr 11

colourful sydney racing identity said :

Pommy bastard said :

3.9 tonnes of pure muscle, 0.06 gram of penis.

I think you are being kind…

That’s me all over, I’m all heart…

p1 p1 2:59 pm 29 Apr 11

triffid said :

Waddayareckon p1 . . . it’s conspicuously free of retrieval points, innit?

I don’t think that’s because it doesn’t need them.

I’ve seen one with tow points. Pretty sure they were plastic.

colourful sydney racing identity colourful sydney racing identity 2:53 pm 29 Apr 11

Pommy bastard said :

3.9 tonnes of pure muscle, 0.06 gram of penis.

I think you are being kind…

EvanJames EvanJames 2:46 pm 29 Apr 11

I wonder where they stole it from?

No bullbar, highway tyres, a helicopter-like thirst for fuel, oh yeah, the ultimate off road vehicle.

In the US they rent out bright yellow ones from JFK airport, a very appropriate environment for them.

Pommy bastard Pommy bastard 2:39 pm 29 Apr 11

3.9 tonnes of pure muscle, 0.06 gram of penis.

Rawhide Kid Part3 Rawhide Kid Part3 2:38 pm 29 Apr 11

Somebody loves themselves…….

triffid triffid 2:28 pm 29 Apr 11

p1 said :

Plus, I can’t help but think the side steps would bend and the chrome come off the bash plate were you to actually use the car…

I have footage — on a DVD at home — of one of these out ‘wheeling’ with a couple of (not entirely standard) Jeep TJ Wranglers and Toymotor Land Cruisers in East Gippsland (where it can get a bit, er, damp and the trails a bit, um, ‘slick’). At one point that Hummer became nothing more than a 3.9 tonne bobsleigh down a descent as it’s ego wrote the cheque its ability was never, ever going to be able to cash. Lucky it stayed in the ruts. Could have used a scrub chain to slow it up a bit.

Waddayareckon p1 . . . it’s conspicuously free of retrieval points, innit? I don’t think that’s because it doesn’t need them.

p1 p1 2:10 pm 29 Apr 11

Driving a vehicle like that would make me feel less secure about my masculinity.

triffid triffid 2:09 pm 29 Apr 11

Hummer H2 . . . an Isuzu ute in a party frock. I know what it’s 3.9 tonnes of (and it ain’t muscle).