The imagery of asylum seeker politics

Barcham 24 July 2013 116

Johnboy just sent me this interesting story by The Conversation about the imagery used in Rudd’s anti-asylum seeker campaign.

Worth a look, even if just to remind yourself to remain skeptical about what images you are shown.

Woman

Worth a thousand words: the imagery of asylum seeker politics

By Phillip George

The history of Australian asylum seeker policy is studded with iconic if often distressing imagery.

In the most recent addition, officials at Christmas Island filmed and photographed a young Iranian woman, supposedly at the moment when she learnt that she will never be allowed to live in Australia, due to the Rudd government’s recently announced immigration policy.

Department for Immigration and Citizenship (DIAC) says the image is intended to be seen around the world as a warning to other asylum seekers of what may happen to them if they catch a “leaky boat” to Australia. It now sits alongside images of “children overboard” and the Tampa affair in Australia’s political narrative.

But is this picture targeted towards overseas or domestic audiences? Who is the government most trying to reach with this undeniably affecting image – the boat people or the vote people?

The Conversation spoke with Professor Phillip George from the School of Media Arts at the University of New South Wales about the history of political images of asylum seekers and their effect on the body politic.

What does the image of the Iranian asylum seeker show us?

It looks like we are seeing a couple of people sitting on a floor weeping, heads in hands, and everything is thrown out of focus. I would probably say that because they were interviewed by a migration worker that it is a legitimate image and we can probably trace down the worker from the Immigration Department.

It would not be as contentious as say the “child overboard” images because we did not know who they were – but this image looks to be an easily verifiable image.

The iconic Tampa image used to boost the Howard government’s re-election campaign. AAP/Wallenius Wilhelmsen

Can we be sure the image depicts what DIAC says it depicts?

I do not think we can be sure. You have come off a plane, a boat, you are jet-lagged, you are tired, you have been travelling – they could just be tired. They could just be emotional because they have finally got to their destination and they could actually be happy. We do not know because the image is thrown out of focus and you cannot read that body posture. Is it posture of despair? Is it relief? Is it exhaustion? Is it “I am really tired of being in this queue and people asking me these stupid questions”?

I would say that you could read a whole range of answers into that including: “I have just landed and I am not going to get into Australia and I am devastated.” It could be all of or none of the above in reading of that image.

Being a crowd photograph, you find someone who is doing what you want and you quickly turn your lens on that subject and you capture it. And it is a very cleverly warped image. I understand that the image has been shown in Indonesia and off-shore so it is advertising the event very quickly.

Is it an attempt to collect a political narrative?

This has been part of a re-election campaign. This is Labor’s Tampa image. I remember speaking to a Labor parliamentarian and they actually called it the “good-ship Tampa” and that it, in a way, a guaranteed re-election of the Howard government. So I think the image-makers are crafting an explicit and powerful, pertinent image for their re-election campaign.

The children overboard saga was used as a political football in the Howard government’s re-election campaign AAP/Defence

How does the image compare to the “children overboard” image and the Tampa image in terms of its political message?

I think for the Tampa image the aerial photograph was a very dynamic, very powerful image of all these people sitting on the decks of boats and that was used by artists all over Australia for years after that.

But what the Tampa image did not do is actually show us human beings’ faces. We never saw the face of humanity on board. We only saw an aerial photograph.

With the “children overboard” we saw a scurrilous image of people in the water. Now were they in the water because the boat was sinking and they were trying to save the children by throwing them overboard? All we saw was a frame of people in the water. We were told what we were seeing there.

The interesting thing we have seen with this image is that it has been thrown out of focus. But if we left that video or camera running and put it in focus we could actually see faces looking up at the camera. It would be interesting to see the before, the after and the during of the taking of that image – so we could see the human faces.

What we do not want to see is the human faces because we get emotional, we have compassion. So the images are thrown out of focus so we have an icon, so we have a representation of someone’s face. But if we let the camera run, if we refocused and watched the image it would tell us a completely different story.

If the boats “keep coming” will the Rudd government or another future government need a tougher or more distressing image? Is this the method of political communication we have now established when it comes to communicating messages about asylum seekers?

I think we can almost guarantee that – particularly as we work into the election campaign, as Rudd ticks off all the boxes for his re-election. The icon of the Tampa and the “children overboard” are iconic images. The timing of this image is also quite exquisite. It is not only telling you that “you cannot come” but it also says, “look at this – we are showing you: you can’t come”.

Phillip George does not work for, consult to, own shares in or receive funding from any company or organisation that would benefit from this article, and has no relevant affiliations.

The Conversation
Conversation

This article was originally published at The Conversation.
Read the original article.

116 Responses to The imagery of asylum seeker politics
astrojax astrojax 12:37 pm 26 Jul 13

Diggety said :

Slightly off topic – I think a marriage of Rudd’s and Abbott’s policies on boat people may be a jolly good idea.

what, an army camp in png?

do please explain…

dungfungus dungfungus 12:09 pm 26 Jul 13

Stevian said :

dungfungus said :

Bob Carr (Labor Senator) says the number of people arriving by boat could reach 50,000 pa. Factor in family reunion and high birth rates and we have something approaching a takeover. That is why there could be a mosque on every corner..

And why does that worry you so much? I see Churches all over the place, that doesn’t bother me. And before you say it please offer a credible source when you claim all Muslims are terrorists, because we know that’s rubbish

Where did I say “all Muslims are terrorists”?

DrKoresh DrKoresh 12:01 pm 26 Jul 13

Moogey217 said :

My mother has worked for many years for large charities in the West of Sydney and is extremely upset at the program resources being diverted from really important programs (particularly housing and transition & emergency accommodation) to asylum seekers. I very much believe that we have a responsibility to help people less fortunate than us but when important resources required for those less fortunate in our communities starts to be diverted then in my opinion the balance is wrong.

A homeless man died in Sydney last week trying to escape the cold because there was no available emergency accommodation, pensioners have been told by the NSW Government that if their houses have been “under utilised” then they will be charged additional weekly rent for every empty room they have – whilst that sounds like a sensible plan most of the people this will affect are elderly widows who have lived in those houses for 50+ years and raised their families there…I understand we are signatories to the UN Convention but surely our own needy should get as much, if not more, funding, resources, housing etc as the asylum seekers?

It’s awful that we have to choose between funding already struggling services for our own homeless and aiding refugees in getting set-up here. Especially since we could easily make up the difference by cutting a little bit into the defence budget.

Jim Jones Jim Jones 11:57 am 26 Jul 13

Looks like we’re gonna have to get rid of the second verse of the national anthem.

watto23 watto23 11:47 am 26 Jul 13

Dilandach said :

watto23 said :

The whole asylum seeker issue has been blown well out of proportion to the actual problem for political gain and neither Labor or coalition are innocent here.

I’m really disgusted by the attitudes of Australians regarding this issue. The only policy i think is of value is the temporary protection visa or similar. Let them come and life in the community, or evening the detention centres with the ability to come and go until they find somewhere to live. If they are not genuine then kick them out. Spend the money on getting the people smugglers.

How are you differentiating the genuine refugees from the non geniune and then sorting the genuine refugees who have a penchant for violence, sexual assault or drug related issues from the ones who really do just want a safe life?

Despite the consensus of a naive few, yes, there are some detainees that are violently harming others which including rape. Those same people would be among the group that you’d green light straight into the community whilst being checked over.

Why should any detainee who resorts to violence, standing over other detainees to force them into acts of self harm or sexually assaults other people be let out into the wider community?

Just because they claim refugee status does not mean that every single one of them are. Claiming refugee status does not mean that all their past sins are forgiven and they’re pure as the driven snow. You simply don’t know who you are letting into the wider community, you simply can’t know.

You are right you don’t know who you are letting into the community, but we are also punishing people because 1 in 100 or a 1000 might be bad cookie. The whole idea that someone is less likely to come to Australia if the detention centre isn’t in Australia though is ridiculous these people are desperate and depending on the situation in the country they are coming from, whether they’ll attempt to come here or somewhere else.
There are plenty of compassionate ideas floating around the community that get glanced over, because politically it would be suicide right now. How about using detention centres as a place to live and allow some freedom to leave the detantion centre. like a trip to a supermarket to buy food for themselves and the ability to lead some kind of life. Even a curfew on the detention centre, back before say 6pm would at least allow people to lead a life while being assessed.

I’m definately not saying lets have a free for all, but I think many Australians also would like a better way of doing things. There was a story that a child died on the boat that sunk the other day, as a mans wife and child were trying to join him in Australia and coming through the legal way was proving to be difficult after 4 years of trying. So they jumped on a boat. Pretty certain that death was the Australian governments fault.

Moogey217 Moogey217 11:46 am 26 Jul 13

Stevian Stevian 10:43 am 26 Jul 13

dungfungus said :

Stevian Stevian 10:37 am 26 Jul 13

Grimm said :

So give me a real example that you have suffered discrimination as a gun owner which had you not been a gun owner you would not have faced?

Well, being constantly referred to as a bloodthirsty redneck, a “gun nut”, and defamed by every major media outlet at every opportunity, punished for and linked to driveby shootings done by criminals with illegally imported firearms, simply because I take part in a perfectly legal sport. There’s a start.

self.

So you experienced this personally? No. That’s not persecution that’s a persecution complex

460cixy 460cixy 10:15 am 26 Jul 13

Send em all to my house

Grimm Grimm 9:40 am 26 Jul 13

Yup, picked it. Probably an ISSF pistol shooter with that “Screw the rest of you” attitude.

As for what I do for the lobby, I will wager the time and effort I put into making sure that ALL of us aren’t completely screwed over amounts to more in a week than the likes of you has ever done. Unless of course you can tell me which advisory boards you are on and which organisations you officially represent. Doubtful though. Hoping people like me will actually attempt to do something about the constant attacks on and descrimination against shooters is way easier than doing anything yourself.

bundah bundah 9:21 am 26 Jul 13

DrKoresh said :

dungfungus said :

harvyk1 said :

dungfungus said :

If that rescued child ends up in Australia he will eventually be competing with your own son for scarce resources. Are you going to be compassionate then?
Unless our borders are secured rapidly and our 200,000 plus pa immigration rate is reduced at least by a half, this country, with potentially a mosque on every corner, will no longer be the “envy” of others.
Toughen up for what’s ahead is my advice.

Technically an Indian could take my job without ever having to leave India, so I find that comment very irrelevant. Plus a higher population level equals more services which need to be done locally which equals more jobs and job creation, not less.

Considering that out of that 200,000 number (I’ll use your numbers for arguments sake) the majority of those people are either from New Zealand or England. Plus the large majority of illegal migrants to this country is British tourists overstaying their visa, and those guys easily overshadow the number of asylum seekers.

So what makes you think that a mosque will be on every corner? Just looking at wikipedia, it’s not until you get to country number 9, Malaysia that you start to see a large population from a majority Islamic country, and even then the numbers are absolutely overshadowed by the UK at 10 to 1 (ignoring all the other predominately Christian, Buddhist or Hindu countries). Canberra itself I believe has two mosques in the entire city. How many churches does it have? IMHO the Muslims have a lot of catching up to do.

As at 4.30pm on 16th July, 2013 there had been 218 boat arrivals carrying 15,182 “passengers”.
the break by country up is as follows:

Sudanese 368
Somalis 219
Lebanese

1777
Others

871

Over the same period there have been 455 “removals” of which 381 were involuntary. Of the total number, 418 were Sri Lankans.

For your own sake, do some research about what is happening in Europe.

Grow up Dungfungus, your fear of Muslims is unwarranted and exceedingly unflattering.
And DUB, it’s somewhat baffling that you’d decide to speculate on my ethnic heritage in defence of your heinous intolerance, but I guess I didn’t expect much more from someone who was fathered by a dog and mothered by a monkey.

Well I find it extraordinary that anyone who was fathered by a dog and mothered by a monkey is able to read and write. I have a whole new respect for those animals for they’ve been belittled for far too long..

dungfungus dungfungus 9:07 am 26 Jul 13

Comic_and_Gamer_Nerd said :

dungfungus said :

Madam Cholet said :

Scrolling through a few stories today on SMH online, I started to read the latest article on the PNG solution about how the asylum seekers are not deterred – because they will not go back to their own country for love nor money. On reading down, I saw a picture that took my breath away – a policeman cradling a small exhausted child, probably the same age as my own child or thereabouts, who had been in the water for god knows how long after the most recent tragedy.

It grates enormously on me as an Australian citizen, mother, sister, aunt, daughter, that we are obviously fed stories which suit the political parties. As the first response says on this thread, I am not a bleeding heart leftie, probably far from it, but having compassion does not signify weakness.

I don’t know what the solution is, but this one does not sit well with me, and neither does any of the rhetoric coming from any of the parties.

Toughen up for what’s ahead is my advice.

Scarce resources? Effing lol. Turn off Alan jones. Australia is one of the richest countries in the world. And what’s wrong with mosques?

I have said before several times that I do not listen to Alan Jones and I have no idea what you are referring to. Obviously, you listen to him regularly so please inform me what he he talks about.
Australia in one of the richest countries in the world? On what authority do you say that? We have huge sovereign and personal debt and a tiny manufacturing sector unable to generate the income to pay off our debt when our mining sector is displaced by other countries.
Mosques are fine in Muslim countries but totally out of place in a predominantly Christian country like Australia. Have you ever been to a Muslim country? I guess not or you would notice the absence of churches. Have you ever heard the not so dulcet tones of the adhan amplified over the Tannoy in the early hours of the morning? No.
You may not like my opinions but at least I am informed.

dungfungus dungfungus 8:30 am 26 Jul 13

Dilandach said :

dungfungus said :

That is why there could be a mosque on every corner.
For your own sake, do some research about what is happening in Europe.

I personally don’t subscribe to ‘green fear’. Despite the low brow comments and the very intellectually lazy arguments coming from some quarters, I disagree with racism. I’ve worked and lived with and been friends with quite a number of people of different races and religions as well as living in a couple of non-english speaking countries (and planning to go back to live there on a more permanent basis in a couple of years). Do I care what someone looks like or what deity they pray to? Nope, as long as you’re not messing my or someone else’s crap up, do what you want.

Why should I have to trot out the tired “some of my best friends are…” ? Why? Because of cheap lazy arguments from people that have no points to make other than to try and attack people personally whilst bringing absolutely nothing to the discussion.

Alan Jones? John Laws? I don’t and have never listened to either of them or any other shock jock, I get my news primarily from SBS, ABC, Al Jazeera and a variety of other sources (Variety being a key word there.) I’ve never even thought about supporting One Nation or any offshoot. I’m not an Abbott supporter nor a coalition shill. I’m certainly not a union hack and don’t belong to one. I’m not a jobless uni student handing out socialist newspapers or someone that carries ‘ditch the witch’ placards or any other circlejerk that comes to mind.

b..b..but racist! I hear some stammer. Yeah, keep sticking to labelling people with no evidence or knowledge on their background. You just keep looking more and more foolish.

Thanks for your life story. Now get on a plane and go to Europe. Open your eyes, not your bowels.
Also, check the definition of racism.

Diggety Diggety 2:57 am 26 Jul 13

Postalgeek Postalgeek 9:19 pm 25 Jul 13

Grimm said :

Postalgeek said :

So you can’t easily procure a semi-auto and have to attend range several times a year if you don’t have access to a property. Boo-fking-hoo. Tell me all about the harrowing discrimination and persecution we endure daily because we voluntarily decide to own a restricted firearm.

Ah, so you are one of those people who sat around in ’96, and still sits around not giving a crap what happens with other people, as long as your particular discipline isn’t the one on the line at the time? Thankfully most of your kind are pretty quickly weeded out and marginalised for being self centred knobs.

Predictable, good to see.

You’re ranting about left wing hippies and next thing you’re blundering into Howard’s legislation from 96. Which target are you actually aiming for?

As for the rest of the dribble, ‘your kind’ is the reason why I don’t give a crap about ‘your kind’. And there you are wailing about people labelling you. And ‘weeding? WTF are you talking about? Shooters like you do untold damage to the lobby every time you open your mouths, and then you blame everyone else.

Oh dear, someone’s just called used the term ‘gun nut’ in the media. You better take it personally and go cry in the corner. We all know it’s insincere, but make it look good.

Deckard Deckard 9:02 pm 25 Jul 13

dungfungus said :

For your own sake, do some research about what is happening in Europe.

Research from your European right wing nationalist websites? Sure there might be a bit of unrest but I’d say most of this comes from the neo-nazi movement.

Last census showed 2% of the Australian population were muslim. A bit of time to go before your takeover mate. 20 years ago you nationalists used to harp on about asian immigration, how they’d take over the country. Still waiting for that one aren’t we… Now you’re on to the ‘dangerous’ muslims. I suppose you have to have someone to hate.

I’m actually more scared of people like you than the honest hard working muslims I’ve met. They’re contributing more to this country than you ever will.

DrKoresh DrKoresh 8:37 pm 25 Jul 13

dungfungus said :

harvyk1 said :

dungfungus said :

Toughen up for what’s ahead is my advice.

the break by country up is as follows:

Sudanese 368
Somalis 219
Lebanese

1777
Others

871

For your own sake, do some research about what is happening in Europe.

Dilandach Dilandach 8:04 pm 25 Jul 13

dungfungus said :

That is why there could be a mosque on every corner.
For your own sake, do some research about what is happening in Europe.

Dilandach Dilandach 7:45 pm 25 Jul 13

watto23 said :

Comic_and_Gamer_Nerd Comic_and_Gamer_Nerd 6:38 pm 25 Jul 13

dungfungus said :

Madam Cholet said :

Toughen up for what’s ahead is my advice.