The Indians are coming!

Thumper 7 January 2008 97

No, not a line from a John Wayne movie. The Indian cricket team (sans monkeys) should be in Canberra today to prepare to be flogged by our mighty Comets.

From memory the last touring side to play the ACT was New Zealand, who got smoked all around manuka by one Jack Smith who hit a double ton. They were scheduled to visit the Bradman Museum in Bowral before moving on to Canberra. Hopefully I’ll get out to Manuka on Thursday or friday and catch a bit of the action. I guess the Jewel of India in Manuka is probably booked out for a while.

All the best to them and i hope they enjoy their stay in our city.

[Ed. Maybe not. Seems that the Indian Cricket team has been ordered to stay in Sydney and there is some conjecture that the entire tour may now be cancelled]

97 Responses to The Indians are coming!
Thumper Thumper 10:52 pm 07 Jan 08

Hey, I’ll let you know if I’m going to the match. Probably Friday afteroon if I do.

Sepi, you are welcome as well mate 😉

Hasdrubahl Hasdrubahl 10:23 pm 07 Jan 08

Me too…I meant a spectator tour.

Thumper Thumper 10:21 pm 07 Jan 08

Cool, I’m of about 4th grade standard these days!

My days of being able to play at a decent level are well and truly gone 😉

Hasdrubahl Hasdrubahl 10:14 pm 07 Jan 08

Let me know if you’re getting a tour together Thumper – I’m in!

Thumper Thumper 10:14 pm 07 Jan 08

Actually HAsdrub, I reckon it’s about time they gave the ACT limited first class status, afterall, it’s better class than friggin Oxford Uni vs cambridge, or bangladesh’s first class system.

Thumper Thumper 10:12 pm 07 Jan 08

Knoobs,

I sincerely hope they play. I want to see them!

I enjoy cricket and India is blessed with some of the best.

i await the day (probably two years) when I can travel there and see the culture and drown myself in talk about cricket!

Hasdrubahl Hasdrubahl 10:11 pm 07 Jan 08

Knoobs, I thought Harsha Bhogle was being disingenuous when he said on ABC TV earlier this evening, that in India “monkey” is a term of endearment.

You could hardly say that those Indian fans caught on video a couple of months ago, making monkey noises at Symonds & energetically scratching their armpits, were doing it as a gesture of love and appreciation.

Thumper Thumper 10:07 pm 07 Jan 08

Sorry Sepi, the Indians don’t find it racist. See below.

The Sydney-based United Indian Association (UIA) says it is deeply concerned at a three-match ban imposed on Indian cricketer Harbhajan Singh for using the word.

UIA president Raj Natarajan said the group condemned racism in sport, but it was surprising Singh’s comments were viewed as racist.

“Considering that the Monkey God is one of the revered idols of Hindu mythology and worshipped by millions, it is surprising it was considered a racist term,” Mr Natarajan said in a statement.

“Even more surprising is that the word ‘monkey’ is considered by the match referee serious enough to slap a three-match ban on Harbhajan Singh.”

Good enough for them to use the excuse then good enough for me.

Hasdrubahl Hasdrubahl 10:04 pm 07 Jan 08

The BCCI is doing the Indian players no favours, if they don’t get to play the Canberra game.

They need as much practice as possible, prior to the 3rd Test.

And it should be a 3-day game, not 2-day.

knoobs knoobs 10:04 pm 07 Jan 08

I don’t think the Indian Cricket Board’s actions are hypocritical at all when you look at their actual reasoning:

“The tourists have argued Harbhajan’s hearing was a case of the word of the Indian players against that of the Australians.

In such a situation, they believe the spinner should not have been found guilty.” (from an AAP article)

I reckon that’s quite a valid statement.

Anyway, to the root of the issue, that being Harbhajan calling Symonds a monkey. Now ignoring their past history and me being of Indian heritage (GASP!) – calling someone a monkey in India is like calling someone a fool or an idiot. It has no racial basis whatsoever. Now I’m not defending anyone here but cultural difference plays a role here. I see India is alleging that Hogg called Kumble a bastard – a term that doesn’t mean much to Australians to but an Indian it is a serious and grave insult.

Anyway, I was looking forward to the Swami Army blessing us with their presence in Canberra! 😀

Thumper Thumper 9:34 pm 07 Jan 08

Sorry about the double ‘life’….

😉

Thumper Thumper 9:34 pm 07 Jan 08

No, not missed, rejected.

You have no argument. You have used the simple premise of screaming ‘racist’ and then stepping back and not giving any real reason as to why you said it.

tell me, what is your view on the issue at hand?

Or you don’t have one?

Fair enough, I really don’t care, however, I really don’t care for armchair critics who sprout the racist line at every opportunity without even thinking about what they are talking about, except to push some vague point that anything said could be misconstrued in some cultural way.

Okay, I said ‘monkey’ but not in any derogatory sense.You say monkey is racist, and Andy Symonds probably agrees. I say in this post, that it doesn’t, and yet you still leap indignantly to the defence of, well someone, but I’m actually not sure who, because you can’t identify who, except for a generic ‘them’.

Sad really.

Get a life life sunshine,if you think I’m racist then you might as well kill yourself now because the world is going to seriously upset you.

sepi sepi 9:20 pm 07 Jan 08

You’ve missed my point twice.

It isn’t about who you directed your inappropriate terminonlogy to, it is the fact that you used it at all.

You may not agree that language impacts on cultural norms in society, but you haven’t said that. You’ve just repeated your point which has nothing to do with mine.

Thumper Thumper 9:14 pm 07 Jan 08

If Andrew Symonds complains then I will apologise

If I recall, and I am correct, it was the Indians calling Symonds a monkey.

Now, at no stage have I called Symonds a monkey, and at no stage called the Indians monkeys.

therefore you are full of it.

But of course, only white people can be guilty of racism in a true enightened world.

Wake up sunshine, the world is not black and white. Black people can be as racist as white. And as someone who has lived a great deal of his life overseas I feel that I can comment upon this with some merit.

Do you feel desensitised?

Really?

And now should we get back to the story? Which I note you have totally neglected to comment upon.

sepi sepi 9:07 pm 07 Jan 08

Using a derogatory term
‘light-heartedly’ does not make it ok.

You are bringing the word into normal everyday use, thus desensitising the rest of us to it. Thus contributing to the problem.

el ......VNBerlinaV8 el ......VNBerlinaV8 8:44 pm 07 Jan 08

‘ckwits. Throwing their weight around again. Hope it backfires and costs them the 2 million bucks…

Thumper Thumper 8:25 pm 07 Jan 08

By the way, the Indians are now calling off the tour because one of their players has been found guilty of racism.

Let us read that again, ‘one of their players has been found GUILTY of racism’.

That’s the whole issue in the end.

Blackmail.

Pathetic.

(One D Lehman got suspended for 8 matches for the same offence a few years ago. Should Australia have sent home the Sri Lankans at that time? Maybe they should have refused to play, or py the Sri lankans until mr lehman was found not guilty?

Actually, Leahman was guilty and copped a long and deserved penalty. )

Blackmail, pathetic.

But don’t get me wrong, I’m not leveling this against the players, I’m accusing the Indian board of management. For one they could have acted upon all of this three months ago when it exploded in india, but they did’nt, they let it go and by doing so, legitimised it all.

The blame is squarely on the Indian cricket board of management, although some og the players appear to acting like spoilt brats.

Must do wonders to the young guys in the team.

Thumper Thumper 8:09 pm 07 Jan 08

How?

Enlighten me.

Let me remind you that it was the Indian crrowd at Mumbai that called Symonds a monkey, and then a certain off spinner perpetuated it both in India, and in Sydney.

At no time did I use it as a derogatory term.

If anything I used it light heartedly.

If Andrew Symonds complains then I will apologise.

The Indian cricket team is still holding the test cricketing world to ransom.

sepi sepi 8:01 pm 07 Jan 08

I’m sorry, but even using a derogotory term perpetuates it’s use, even if you weren’t addressing it to anyone in particular. I would have used a bit more tact.

Region Group Pty Ltd