News

Fly direct from
Canberra to New Zealand

The lights go on at Manuka Oval

By johnboy - 23 January 2013 54

manuka lights

To celebrate your correspondent’s 40th birthday the powers that be have put on a rather grand game of cricket next tuesday and Ricky Ponting is going to captain a side against the West Indies at Manuka Oval.

Migrane@Kingston has sent in these cracking pictures of the new lights turned on for the first time despite the best efforts of the Inner South terrorists.

Got an image of Canberra you want to share with the world? Email it in to images@the-riotact.com .

manuka oval

Meanwhile a kilometre away Nick is enjoying the precision of the lights:

lights

What’s Your opinion?

54 Responses to
The lights go on at Manuka Oval
Showing only Website comments
Newest to Oldest
Oldest to Newst
Growling Ferret 7:48 pm 24 Jan 13

mossy said :

There are many other things in Canberra I’d rather see this money spent on.

Like more waaambulances?

JC 7:38 pm 24 Jan 13

mossy said :

$5 million cost of lights
12 uses per year
20 years use

$5m/(12*20)= $20,000 per game + electricity and maintenance + destruction of urban vistas and residential amenity.

They’re monstrous. They’re expensive. And they’re unnecessary.

There are many other things in Canberra I’d rather see this money spent on.

Again double standard. Urban vista’s were destroyed to build your apartment building, clearly your ok with that but not with 6, quite attractive light towers.

PS WTF is residential amenity and how has that been destroyed?

Ben_Dover 7:29 pm 24 Jan 13

Thumper said :

Now we just need a first class side in the Sheffield Shield and I can die a happy man.

When I dream I dream I have a Porche’.

Thumper 7:15 pm 24 Jan 13

Ben_Dover said :

Anything which imporves the prospect of more cricket in the ACT is worth us ignoring the sound of a million whining NIMBYs in my book.

c_c™ 7:03 pm 24 Jan 13

mossy said :

$5 million cost of lights
12 uses per year
20 years use

They’re monstrous. They’re expensive. And they’re unnecessary.

There are many other things in Canberra I’d rather see this money spent on.

Such as…

poetix 6:54 pm 24 Jan 13

mossy said :

$5 million cost of lights
12 uses per year
20 years use

They’re monstrous. They’re expensive. And they’re unnecessary.

There are many other things in Canberra I’d rather see this money spent on.

You realise that those figures could equally be used as an argument for more frequent use?

Look at the pleasure that people are getting even in anticipation of the first cricket match in which they’ll be used. There are a lot of forty year olds with a real spring in their steps…

Ben_Dover 6:43 pm 24 Jan 13

Frustrated 6:37 pm 24 Jan 13

mossy said :

So, as a resident, not allowed to express an opinion?

Curtains on my apartment balcony where I like to sit in the evening and look at the night sky?

The apartments’ heights, in general, are just around tree height.

There’s almost no traffic to speak of – if you think this is traffic, you should get out of Canberra sometime.

You are a friggin sook.

They look fantastic and will great for AFL night matches, and day/night cricket into the future.

mossy 6:26 pm 24 Jan 13

$5 million cost of lights
12 uses per year
20 years use

They’re monstrous. They’re expensive. And they’re unnecessary.

There are many other things in Canberra I’d rather see this money spent on.

JC 6:17 pm 24 Jan 13

PS seeing as you like sustainable development, wouldn’t it be a good idea to knock Manuka oval down. and build 3 or 4 20 story Mirvac style (read communist style) apartments on it. Wouldn’t it? Much better than 6 light towers. If that were to happen maybe you would have something to complain about.

JC 6:14 pm 24 Jan 13

mossy said :

>Lives in an apartment block
Because supports appropriate urban development.

Oh you make me laugh. Those apartments are not appropriate urban development, they are nothing short of a monstrosity designed to make money for the greedy developers of Canberra. What were once beautiful tree lined suburbs are now ugly concrete boxes with cars parked from one end to the other on what were once quite suburban roads were the children played. And you call that appropriate, yet call the development of a community facility, like Manuka oval, inappropriate.

I said it in the post again, go look in a mirror and what do you see. Yep NIMBY NIMBY NIMBY!

JC 6:09 pm 24 Jan 13

mossy said :

So, as a resident, not allowed to express an opinion?

The apartments’ heights, in general, are just around tree height.

Sure you can express an opinion, but if it is stupid and NIMBY like yours was then expect some heat.

By the way I have thought again about the apartments being higher than tree level and your right they aren’t. Only because most of the tree’s were knocked down to build the ugly things in the first place.

The point still stands though, tree’s, vistas, views etc had to go to build the apartment building where you live, yes where YOU freely admit you live. Some like me hate those appartments in that nice (historic) part of Canberra, some, presumably you like them. Same to with the lights. It is called progress and don’t like it then move somewhere else, far far far away from the city lights.

PS traffic has increased in the area due to the apartments, do the maths it is simple. Where once there were say 3 houses there are now 30 appartments, sure not all will have cars, but I can bet you there will be more than than was before. Now read my post carefully I didn’t say how much there was, I didn’t even say there was more, but there is, all caused by the likes of yourself. NIMBY NIMBY NIMBY.

Growling Ferret 5:53 pm 24 Jan 13

mossy said :

>Lives in an apartment block
Because supports appropriate urban development.

So investing $5m in lights rather than spending $300m on a purpose built stadium seems like appropriate urban development and financial responsible investment to me.

mossy 5:48 pm 24 Jan 13

>Lives in an apartment block
Because supports appropriate urban development.

>Complains about urban development.
Complains about *inappropriate, extremely intrusive* urban development.

>My sides have ruptured.
Sorry to hear that.

>And you live in a city. Share the ugliness. Some people have power stations built near them, or major roads, or flight paths, or apartment blocks. I don’t see why anyone should be exempt from shouldering some aspect of ugly city amenity.

I agree with developing cities but I see no reason why they need be ugly. Any power stations proposed for the Canberra metropolitan area I should know about?

Ben_Dover 4:59 pm 24 Jan 13

golden_youth said :

I dig them! they are pretty unique

[pedant]Something is either unique, or it is not, something cannot be “pretty unique”[/pedant]

Many happy returns JB. Happy to buy you a cold one if I see you there.

Who else is attending?

Pork Hunt 10:58 am 24 Jan 13

Thumper said :

Come Tuesday I shall be drinking beer and basking in the illumination of our newly installed Manuka nimby annoyers.

Illuminati(on) will only lead to world dominance…
So beer and bask but be benevolent.

Holden Caulfield 10:22 am 24 Jan 13

Thumper said :

Me too. Except for the drinking beer part. Something I’ve never been able to do. Shame on me, haha.

Chop71 10:21 am 24 Jan 13

Thumper said :

Maybe the nimbys will now agree to the new stadium at Bruce.
(awaiting the whinge re parking over the next month, PMs11, WI game and GWS V Essendon)

davo101 9:25 am 24 Jan 13

LSWCHP said :

We aren’t allocated all that many birthdays ending in zero, so make sure it’s a big one. 🙂

Expressed in binary we get one every other year 🙂

Postalgeek 9:22 am 24 Jan 13

I don’t live near Manuka, but I’m not going to pretend they are an attractive addition to the diminishing tree line in that area. I can understand people being disconcerted.

On the other hand, as far as design goes, they’re not as ugly as other floodlights and will revitalise that oval.