Lifestyle

One great brand after the next

The Other Side of Midnight comes to City Walk. New public art

johnboy 4 December 2012 33

the other side of midnight

Joy Burch has unveiled the above new sculpture by Anne Ross on City Walk.

And when I say unveiled, well this is what it looked like last night:

wrapping

We hope they built it strong because by 1500 this afternoon it was already getting climbed on.

climbing

We can only imagine the effect it will have on wide eyed clubbers traipsing down City Walk at 4am.

plaque

33 Responses to The Other Side of Midnight comes to City Walk. New public art
stirred408 stirred408 5:42 pm 04 Dec 12

It is probably not fashionable to say this – but I find it creepy.

dtc dtc 5:49 pm 04 Dec 12

Art snobs may sneer, but something that isnt abstract attracts much more attention – and provides much more immediate enjoyment – than a random shape. Plus colour!

I anticipate this will be a children’s favourite. Which is no bad thing

dpm dpm 5:56 pm 04 Dec 12

I like this one! 🙂

fabforty fabforty 6:00 pm 04 Dec 12

stirred408 said :

It is probably not fashionable to say this – but I find it creepy.

Me too.

Pork Hunt Pork Hunt 6:01 pm 04 Dec 12

Who the hell is Joy Birch?

Pork Hunt Pork Hunt 6:19 pm 04 Dec 12

johnboy said :

Try to keep up:

I know who Joy Burch is but it’s spelled “Birch” on the bronze plaque. Try to keep up…

johnboy johnboy 6:43 pm 04 Dec 12

Pork Hunt said :

Oh well spotted.

I’ve asked her office what they’re doing about that.

Pork Hunt Pork Hunt 6:52 pm 04 Dec 12

johnboy said :

Pork Hunt said :

Oh well spotted.

I’ve asked her office what they’re doing about that.

Be cheaper for us if she changed her name by deed poll 🙂

poetix poetix 7:14 pm 04 Dec 12

johnboy said :

Pork Hunt said :

Oh well spotted.

I’ve asked her office what they’re doing about that.

Burching people presumably….tee hee tee.

There’s a lot to be said for feral fantasy in the arts. It’s a fairy tale nightmare. Notice the horns growing from the little girl’s head. Are they wishing bones from an unseen chicken? Or tuning forks for unheard merry-go-round music?

I quite like it, from the photograph.

stirred408 stirred408 7:43 pm 04 Dec 12

I think it’s inappropriate for the middle of civic. If it was near the ANU I would think it was cool.

gooterz gooterz 7:58 pm 04 Dec 12

Looks decent.. What happens during the multicultural festival? Doesn’t seem all that useful to have that landscaping there.
I also dont get why we can’t have more attractive buildings. Most of them are just boring.

Pork Hunt Pork Hunt 7:58 pm 04 Dec 12

poetix said :

johnboy said :

Pork Hunt said :

Oh well spotted.

I’ve asked her office what they’re doing about that.

Burching people presumably….tee hee tee.

I quite like it, from the photograph.

Reindeers horns on the girls head perhaps but what sort of a message do the impaled dogs send the kiddies?

milkman milkman 7:58 pm 04 Dec 12

The art is indeeed creepy.

The misspelling of ‘Burch’ is officially piss funny, though.

Duffbowl Duffbowl 8:22 pm 04 Dec 12

Seems to be lacking the anti-grinding measures that other pedestals, retaining walls, etc., have installed. Would it be that they distract from the aesthetic of the piece?

Duffbowl Duffbowl 8:23 pm 04 Dec 12

And how do you “launch” an immobile art installation?

poetix poetix 8:50 pm 04 Dec 12

Pork Hunt said :

poetix said :

johnboy said :

Pork Hunt said :

Oh well spotted.

I’ve asked her office what they’re doing about that.

Burching people presumably….tee hee tee.

I quite like it, from the photograph.

I think that this is ‘the other side’ of the merry-go-round, and is, in a sense, addressing it. The dog-poles look like how the merry-go-round horses are attached. That allows for the up and down movement that supplements the going around. (I’ve been researching the history of the merry-go-round recently, but I think you’d know more about the mechanical aspects.) The sculpture may also refer to the pack of dogs sculpture which is nearby in Civic.

If you think about it, Joy Birch is an appropriate name to be associated with this; a little bit Brothers Grimm, a little bit lost in the woods, a little bit fairy story. It is a very cool slip indeed. Witches’ brooms, for example, were made of birch, which ties in with the general bright creepiness.

And hats (or horns) off to you for your eagle eye.

stirred408 stirred408 9:09 pm 04 Dec 12

It’s is one of those annoying things. That space in civic is very public. It is one of the central places in town used by families. A parent saying it is inappropriate for kids is immediately labelled prudish or the like.
No doubt the artist and the artistic community relish the fact that it is being talked about and it is “pushing boundaries”.
I just prefer not to have to explain why the girl has horns and the animals are being impaled to my kids.

bundah bundah 9:20 pm 04 Dec 12

Pork Hunt said :

johnboy said :

Pork Hunt said :

Oh well spotted.

I’ve asked her office what they’re doing about that.

Be cheaper for us if she changed her name by deed poll 🙂

Whoever made the plaque must’ve been off their tree.

poetix poetix 9:22 pm 04 Dec 12

You can clearly see a similarity between the dogs and the horses if you look at this photo, including the decorative saddles:

Is there an artist’s statement available? The horns in the girl’s head are starting to remind me of a cross between the horns on the ram being shorn in the sheep sculpture, and the wings on the Ethos statue, which probably means I’ve got a little too excited by the resemblances and references. (This has never happened before, of course.)

stirred408 stirred408 9:23 pm 04 Dec 12

And another thing…

Public art is meant to inspire people and be positive – not scare the bejesus out of the kiddies.

Atleast the grassby statue fits the purpose at the multicultural centre like it or not. (I also bet it is far cheaper than this creepy thing)

BTW – I don’t mind the owl in Belco – if it’s still there. Although I think Defence are using one of it’s eyes to spy on people.
I don’t mind that mangled steel thing on the GDE.
Also whatever that thing is in Woden.
I love the flower pot thingy near the ANU.
The Sheep – well, the less said the better.

Copyright © 2019 Region Group Pty Ltd. All rights reserved.