The relentless advance of Christmas

johnboy 30 September 2010 31

christmas in big w

Jessica Number spotted this in Big W and sent it in.

Are we heading to a future where we just alternate between Easter and Christmas?

Got an image of Canberra you want to share with the world? Email it to images@the-riotact.com

31 Responses to The relentless advance of Christmas
bd84 bd84 4:12 pm 30 Sep 10

David Jones in Civic had their Christmas display up on September 1.

georgesgenitals georgesgenitals 3:55 pm 30 Sep 10

Gobbo said :

There is a house in Macquarie that is fully bedecked in flashing Christmas lights. Now THAT is a bit early for me.

Plus it destroys the environment due to consuming all that electricity.

arescarti42 arescarti42 3:29 pm 30 Sep 10

Jessica Number spotted this in Big W and sent it in.

Watch out! It’s a stern looking man in a jacket!!

Gobbo Gobbo 12:38 pm 30 Sep 10

GardeningGirl GardeningGirl 12:36 pm 30 Sep 10

I remember Myer started putting up their Christmas Shop the week of 911. Seemed to me that apart from being ridiculously early anyway, that year someone should have shown some initiative and said let’s wait. But then they didn’t have the initiative to fix the leaking tap in the loo for years (good corporate citizens during a drought, not) and they haven’t always had price labels, necessitating a trip in search of ever decreasing staff for a price check, because “we’re waiting for them to come from Melbourne” (local staff apparently failed paper and crayon in kindie?).
Back on topic… way too early! And of course too commercialised. When I was a kid the lead-up to Christmas really felt like the lead-up to Christmas, complete with the department store choir. That reminds me, has the Xmas muzak started too? The visual is bad enough, but hearing Christmas carols in October is depressing.

colourful sydney racing identity colourful sydney racing identity 12:11 pm 30 Sep 10

the best thing is that easter eggs will appear on the shelves on boxing day.

Amanda Hugankis Amanda Hugankis 11:57 am 30 Sep 10

Tooks said :

A Festivus for the restofus.

I read the headline and thought exactly this! “And now for the Airing of Grievances!”. I’ll get on board when BigW starts selling Festivus Poles.

housebound housebound 11:48 am 30 Sep 10

I’m so old. Once upon a time (back when I worked in retail) we used to unpack the Christmas decorations in December.

You could work without tinsel, chocolate and flowers for large parts of the year. Socks, undies and ties just didn’t cut it as worthy of display then (called an ‘end’ at that time), so the dads missed out on all things decorative. But they had real hardware stores that sold real blokey things to blokes only, too.

Aaahhh the good old days.

Woody Mann-Caruso Woody Mann-Caruso 11:06 am 30 Sep 10

Ha ha ha – soon, you’ll have Halloween and Thanksgiving as mainstream holidays in Australia, and the ‘holiday season’ takeover will be complete. (Well, that and peeps for Easter.)

Bring on the turkey and pecan pie! Pass the cranberry sauce!

Tooks Tooks 10:46 am 30 Sep 10

A Festivus for the restofus.

Holden Caulfield Holden Caulfield 10:44 am 30 Sep 10

…I’ve made a donation to the Human Fund in lieu of a present.

Muttsybignuts Muttsybignuts 10:40 am 30 Sep 10

busgirl said :

Happy Festivus to us all…

I cant wait for the Airing of Grievances and the Feats of Strength!

M0les M0les 10:27 am 30 Sep 10

Nothing to see here: For several decades, October has started the “Christmas quarter” for retail trade. Most big retailers and department stores start their Christmas campaigns.

It’s more surprising when you get this stuff in July though (Usually happens when “times are tough” and the retaillers have over-estimated prior orders).

p1 p1 10:13 am 30 Sep 10

I don’t start my christmas shopping until festivus is over.

busgirl busgirl 9:55 am 30 Sep 10

Happy Festivus to us all…

Inappropriate Inappropriate 9:29 am 30 Sep 10

Myer have had their christmas gear out for some time now…

Grail Grail 9:17 am 30 Sep 10

Eventually we will be living in a perpetual state of Fatheast Mochrival Day.

You too will be able to celebrate at any time with your limited edition chocolate tree wrapped in pink ribbons that comes with a free power drill.

Fiona Fiona 8:51 am 30 Sep 10

Who wants to get me that Hello Kitty advent calendar? Ta.

Tooks Tooks 8:47 am 30 Sep 10

And yet, I still leave my Christmas shopping to the last minute…

davesact davesact 8:35 am 30 Sep 10

Quite understandable and quite appropriate. As of today there are only 12 weeks and one day until christmas. I for one appreciate the heads up JB so as I can beat the inevitable rush. As if no one is counting down…