The return of Kate?

johnboy 29 August 2008 93

The following item was in today’s “Tips and Rumours” in Crikey:

Former Liberal Chief Minister Kate Carnell (aka The Hospital Imploder) has put up her hand to run for Bill Stefaniak’s just-vacated seat in Ginninderra. The catch: she will only do it if made leader. Zed, already reeling over Stefaniak’s departure, has been blindsided by this dramatic offer and as I write is desperately scrambling to shore up his own support amongst his colleagues. This has added fuel to a fire that has started between Zed and his up-to-now loyal sidekick Brendan Smyth. Word is they had both decided on their own separate candidate to fill the Ginninderra spot, sparking serious tensions between the two. A meeting had been scheduled at the Deakin HQ this Saturday with Liberal campaign officials in an attempt to avoid a serious rift emerging, but how this will play out now that Kate has thrown her cards on the table is anyone’s guess. All extreme options are apparently being considered because our latest polling has shown that Vicki Dunne is the single most disliked member of the Assembly from all parties. And the Party knows that if Vicki is the front-runner then they’re in serious strife out North. How Andrew will untangle this mess will be interesting to watch. To further complicate the situation, it is no secret that Kate is very close to Liberal money man Jim Murphy, who is funding in entirety the Liberal’s advertising campaign (said to total more than $284,000 for TV advertising alone). What conditions are attached to this money? Is Big Jim about to make Zed an offer he can’t refuse?

This makes some sense…

UPDATED: This in from an anonymous snout in media land who’s been chasing the story:

“Kate refused to comment, Bill no comment, Andrew Heath is ‘unavailable for comment'”

ANOTHER UPDATE: WIN News tonight reported Kate was not going to run. Mark Parton however is going to stand as an independent in Ginninderra, which will test his popularity.

93 Responses to The return of Kate?
Granny Granny 9:58 pm 28 Aug 08

Um … you did ….

astrojax astrojax 9:27 pm 28 Aug 08

i thought i had posted on this. dang ‘puter – hmmm…

anyway, rumour of kate coming back. rumour of canberra bidding for 2018 CG. coincidence??

postmanpat postmanpat 7:43 pm 28 Aug 08

johnboy said :

postmanpat said :

What is it you hate so much about Zeds campaign JB,I didn’t think it was that bad

In the last six weeks I’ve been in town?

— There’s the policy announcements by press interview with publication of actual policy delayed by days thereafter. When your portfolio spokesperson can’t comment on the policy the day after it’s been ‘announced’ because they have no idea what’s in it you’re running a sloppy ship.

— Attempts to play media favourites by giving CityNews the GDE duplication policy allowed the Government to get in first, want to talk about an expensive fiasco? That’s a tough one to top from oppostion.

— Substance free saturation TV advertising. Advertising can sell a product, but first you need a more compelling argument than YouTube resolution ads pushing motherhood statements.

— Trying to introduce your first private members’ bill in the last sitting week of a four year term. Absolute amateur hour. Even Mulcahy managed to give notice of his doomed legislation the week before.

— Absence of media releases. He should be going on the record with considered responses to half a dozen things a day instead of thinking that one ramble to camera in the assembly courtyard is the same thing. Other leaders manage it elsewhere and have here in the past.

So based on my observations he’s a lightweight hopelessly out of his depth.

A lightweight hopelessly out of his depth? Thats a bit harsh. You could say Stanhope is a lightweight out of his depth with Tharwa Bridge,Powerstation and the rest.

Certainly should get the press releases and policy statements out but hardly think the average punter is going to care if that comes out late.

Personally the ACT govt and ACTEW ads tick me off more and have less substance – and Jim Murphy is not footing the bill for those ones.

One thing for sure the next few weeks will be very interesting…..

Jonathon Reynolds Jonathon Reynolds 6:43 pm 28 Aug 08

Ran in to Jeremy Hanson (Lib, Molonglo) who was campaigning up at the Gungahlin Town Centre this afternoon.

Apart from the common situation that the candidates from both major parties are being treated as mushrooms (“kept in the dark and fed bull dust by their party organisations”), he didn’t think that Kate Carnell option made much sense. (Jeremy: I know you are not allowed to post on RiotACT but you now happy got your free mention! 😛 )

Besides apparently Kate Carnell has denied that she will be standing and Mark Parton will be standing as an Independent (Just on WIN News)

Granny Granny 6:06 pm 28 Aug 08

“What ever are we going to do about this ‘Granny’ problem …?”

*hehe*

“She spoils all our fun!”

Thumper Thumper 5:54 pm 28 Aug 08

Or it could simply be this Wayne Seivers, who is the ex ACT President of the ACT Democrats and current ALP candidate.

MrIncredible MrIncredible 5:49 pm 28 Aug 08

I’d say the same thing back but I actually find the thought of a ‘Granny’ that writes like a 13yo quite intriguing. Are you one of those hip grannies that wears cargo pants and refuses to babysit the grandkids?

Granny Granny 5:48 pm 28 Aug 08

TTWBT

*hehe*

Thumper Thumper 5:47 pm 28 Aug 08

Wayne Roger Seivers was a former professional footballer who transferred to Canberra many eyars ago. He was rumoured to have been at the grass painting EPISODE with Carnell and was even implicated as the person who drove her home after ‘THAT’ crash.

So many rumours, Will the TRUTH ever be known?

Granny Granny 5:42 pm 28 Aug 08

*yawn*

MrIncredible MrIncredible 5:39 pm 28 Aug 08

Who is Wayne Sievers and what does he have to do with Kate Carnell?

astrojax astrojax 5:28 pm 28 Aug 08

then returning to try and form Government

that’d be “…to try to form …’ but that’s just the grammar nazi in me brought out by the rumours of a carnell resurrection.

a rumour of kate back in the race. a rumour of a 2018 CG bid… hmmm, suspicious?

Granny Granny 5:21 pm 28 Aug 08

I much prefer:

“Wayne Sievers Triumphant in Leadership Coup”

which certainly has its crime-solving merits, since, like, an unelected candidate becoming leader of the parliamentary party is so, like, um, possible ….

[See previous Memo]

Thumper Thumper 5:17 pm 28 Aug 08

I’ve heard an unsubstantiated rumour that Stanhope is going to go for a safe federal seat and will hand over to Mark Latham later in the year.

MrIncredible MrIncredible 4:57 pm 28 Aug 08

“Can’t wait to read the next episode wherein Zed is abducted by aliens ….”

That already happened.

Granny Granny 4:53 pm 28 Aug 08

Can’t wait to read the next episode wherein Zed is abducted by aliens ….

*hehe*

tylersmayhem tylersmayhem 4:41 pm 28 Aug 08

Somebody knock me out now!

peterh peterh 4:30 pm 28 Aug 08

MrIncredible said :

How long was Carnell in previously? Could this have something to do with passing the requirement for a parliamentary pension?

So she’s on some corporate boards and a Council I’ve never heard of. Big whoop. If you know any former pollies you know how bad they get relevance deprivation syndrome.

There’s also her legacy to consider. Look at the comments on here. Painting grass and blowin’ up hospitals. Not how i’d wanna be remembered.

you forgot “having an accident on the way home from a boozy event, then leaving the scene to go home and have a stiff drink to calm her nerves, before the police arrived to discuss”

and she is a pharmacist – no way she knew that the police couldn’t differentiate between prior drinking and after the “calming” drink?

yeah, right.

Ok, bring her back. I will have to look for a new party to get my vote. won’t touch ALP or Libs…..

jakez jakez 4:20 pm 28 Aug 08

johnboy said :

jakez said :

I agree that the ACT is more ‘politically aware’ than most places but even so, the majority of people are nothing like you and I.

Perhaps, but I’ve gotten pretty good at predicting where campaigns are going over the years, and what results they’ll get.

Anyway I was asked for my reasoning and I’ve given it.

These things might only aggravate a small percentage of the population, but it’s a percentage who are influential.

Fair enough mate. I’ll be happy if you are right about people (although I don’t necesarily share your strong views on the Liberal campaign).

johnboy johnboy 4:15 pm 28 Aug 08

jakez said :

Anyway I was asked for my reasoning and I’ve given it.

Region Group Pty Ltd