The rise of the Skywhale

johnboy 11 May 2013 27

skywhale

We’ve had some photos in from this morning’s flight of the Skywhale over Canberra.

Hannah sent in the above with this:

The Skywhale launch this morning was really great. People were whooping and clapping as it took off, and Robyn Archer got us to “hip hip horray” it.

And Deref sent in a bunch:

crowd

Here’s the full slideshow:

Got some you’d like to add? Send them in to images@the-riotact.com .

UPDATE: We’ve had further photos in from Gentoopenguin and In The Taratory. Tara also sent vid:

27 Responses to The rise of the Skywhale
GardeningGirl GardeningGirl 11:22 am 18 May 13

Jethro said :

Masquara said :

Watson said :

I cannot believe how hard it is to find out anything about when it will be on display again. .

You’re surprised that the arts elite is keeping it all to themselves?

Perhaps the ‘arts elites’ subscribe to the theory that most adults can use a computer.

Try the Centenary of Canberra website or Facebook page. Both have plenty of information, with the FB page being updated almost on an hourly basis.

Not everyone is heading to the site from the inner south clutching their latest model phone for updates.
Is it possible they could just have one 9-12 tethered flight sometime (as originally publicised for last Saturday) so people have a whole morning’s opportunity to go take a look at it in person it like they keep telling us they want us to do?

Jethro Jethro 10:15 am 18 May 13

Masquara said :

Watson said :

You’re surprised that the arts elite is keeping it all to themselves?

Ben_Dover Ben_Dover 10:04 am 18 May 13

Did it fly? I saw several baloons in the air on my way into work, but no skypigtittycarp.

GardeningGirl GardeningGirl 10:53 pm 17 May 13

Watson said :

I cannot believe how hard it is to find out anything about when it will be on display again. The rumour was that it would take off again this weekend, but I cannot find anything about this anywhere. It does peeve me that the arty-farty powers that be don’t seem to care about giving us mere mortals a chance to enjoy this artwork in real life before it leaves us forever. If it remains just a picture in the paper, it might as well have been commissioned by Hobart for all I care.

Yes, I feel like information has been rather last minute and confusing. (Everything about the balloon has been, I don’t understand why it wasn’t unveiled on Canberra Day or included as part of the balloon festival, instead of being a belated and disorganised surprise now?)
I checked the latest on the Canberra100 website. What happens if Saturday’s flight can’t be launched from the Parliamentary Triangle, will it be a big secret like for the balloon festival, will the landing site be publicised instead? (I was suss about that, the balloon festival was claiming crowd safety issues or something but I think they just wanted to ensure people turned up at the tents on the lawns to buy stuff and be officially counted, that’s why they didn’t want them going somewhere else like had happened in previous years.) What happens if they decide to go ahead with the “possible short flight” on Sunday, what time will it fly, 9am or earlier, when will they decide, when will they bother putting it on the website? I get that it’s weather/wind direction dependent but it would be nice to feel that somewhere in this yawn of a centenary the organisers care about letting the rest of us enjoy it.

From the Canberra100 website :

SATURDAY:

WHAT: Flight over Canberra by The Skywhale

DATE: Saturday, 18 May 2013

TIME: 7am-9am

WHERE: TBC

SUNDAY:

WHAT: The Skywhale tethered and possible short flight from the lawns of Questacon

DATE: Sunday, 19 May 2013

TIME: 7am-9am

WHERE: The lawns of Questacon, with free parking available in the Parliamentary Triangle

*** NB Location and flight dependent on weather ***

Masquara Masquara 10:36 pm 16 May 13

Watson said :

You’re surprised that the arts elite is keeping it all to themselves?

poetix poetix 8:25 pm 16 May 13

dpm said :

poetix said :

johnboy said :

She’s going up this Saturday and the ABC is running a comp for a place onboard:

oh wouldn’t that be just lovely…

Haha! You’re such a master of sarcasm! Love it! 🙂

No, I mean it. No sarcasm at all. I can’t think of many things much nicer than being in a basket below breast-wings.

Unless you’re being sarcastic about how childlike I was being…Don’t play with my feeble mind! I like things nice and simple.

dpm dpm 6:17 pm 16 May 13

poetix said :

johnboy said :

She’s going up this Saturday and the ABC is running a comp for a place onboard:

oh wouldn’t that be just lovely…

Haha! You’re such a master of sarcasm! Love it! 🙂

Ben_Dover Ben_Dover 4:38 pm 16 May 13

johnboy said :

She’s going up this Saturday and the ABC is running a comp for a place onboard:

Second prize is two places onboard.

Watson Watson 3:55 pm 16 May 13

johnboy said :

She’s going up this Saturday and the ABC is running a comp for a place onboard:

Thanks! 7am on a Saturday. It seems unlikely we’ll get organised early enough, but I’ll try my very best.

poetix poetix 3:33 pm 16 May 13

johnboy said :

She’s going up this Saturday and the ABC is running a comp for a place onboard:

oh wouldn’t that be just lovely…

Thumper Thumper 3:32 pm 16 May 13

I missed her little hop across the lake so I shall be there on Saturday with bells, or boobs, or whatever…

Oh thou art ugly
oh skywhale
though you doth float like booby thing
in the air

Watson Watson 2:42 pm 16 May 13

johnboy johnboy 2:13 pm 15 May 13

Even Cory Doctorow is talking about skywhale:

spinact spinact 9:00 am 13 May 13

The view from below is breathtaking……….

blind blind 10:36 pm 12 May 13

AAAAAAAHHHHHHH

So happy. So so happy. Skywhale we love you!

MERC600 MERC600 9:13 am 12 May 13

Great photography by using the window reflection.

bundah bundah 6:34 pm 11 May 13

The underbelly of the beast certainly got my attention so they may as well milk it for all its worth.

ErkzO ErkzO 6:33 pm 11 May 13

Maybe its breast if this balloon is not exposed to minors….

aydee aydee 6:33 pm 11 May 13

The artist of this talks about “What if mammals learnt to fly”.

BATS!

This balloon is still as ugly as dog balls. Real life. Pictures. What a waste of money

gentoopenguin gentoopenguin 6:05 pm 11 May 13

It was breathtaking in its ugliness and sheer artistic indulgence….I kind of liked it in real life.