Whether you are considering reconstructive or cosmetic plastic surgery, you want to be sure that you’re in safe hands. Deciding to get plastic surgery, choosing a surgeon, experiencing the procedure, and recovery are all aspects of a significant journey. It is crucial that you receive support throughout this journey from an appropriately qualified and compassionate medical team.
So how do you start the process of choosing a plastic surgeon? We have come up with some key points to consider when making this important decision.
What Makes a Good and Trusted Plastic Surgeon?
- Qualifications. There is some confusion in the public about the difference between a plastic surgeon and a cosmetic surgeon. A plastic surgeon has twelve years of training, while a cosmetic surgeon only has a medical degree. A plastic surgeon can perform both reconstructive and cosmetic surgery. Your plastic surgeon should have a Fellowship with the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons, Board of Plastic Surgery, and should be a member of the Australian Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASPS) and/or the Australian Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS).
- Open and honest. You should feel comfortable that you understand what your procedure involves, and the results that you can expect. A Consent Form outlining the procedure should be made available to you. Be clear on what will happen in the recovery period, and any risks and complications that may arise.
- Compassion. Having surgery, or even a nonsurgical procedure, can make you feel vulnerable. Qualified and experienced doctors will be happy to answer any of your concerns with patience and regard for your feelings.
- No pressure. If you feel pressure at any time to undergo a procedure, take some time out to consider your options. It may be a good idea to get a second or third opinion. Special deals or limited-time offers are designed to increase pressure on the consumer, and are not an appropriate form of marketing for plastic surgery.
- Cost. Plastic surgery does not come cheap. Ensure you are aware of the total cost of the procedure including the anesthetist, aftercare services, and any specialist cosmetic products you may want to purchase as part of your post-operative care.
- Aftercare service. Complications may occur during recovery. You want to feel confident that you can contact your surgeon or a team member if you have any concerns post-surgery. A good surgeon is happy for you to contact them at any time after hours, if it is an emergency.
The Top 3 Plastic Surgeons in Canberra
We’ve done some research and consulted user comments, and come up with three top plastic surgeons in the Canberra region.
1. Dr Milovic Plastic and Cosmetic Surgeon
Dr Milovic is a Fellow of the Royal Australasian Society of Plastic Surgeons (FRACS) in the specialty of Plastic Surgery, member of ASPS and ASAPS. He has 20 years of training and experience.
The philosophy of the surgery is one of personalised service and compassionate care. Regular follow-ups are standard and all surgeries are performed in accredited facilities with qualified anaesthetists.
2. Panthea Clinics
Panthea Clinics offer the utmost level of medical and surgical proficiency and attention.
Surgeon Dr. Farhadieh is one of the most qualified and best trained plastic surgeons in Australia and globally. He is a Fellow of the Royal Australasian Society of Plastic Surgeons (FRACS) in the specialty of Plastic Surgery, member of ASPS and ASAPS. All surgeries are performed in hospitals with excellent modern surgical facilities.
3. caps Clinic – Canberra Aesthetic Plastic Surgery
Dr Alastair Taylor is a Fellow of the Royal Australasian Society of Plastic Surgeons (FRACS) in the specialty of Plastic Surgery, member of ASPS and ASAPS.
Dr Taylor has introduced a number of exciting innovations into his surgery including MyGenisis Skincare Clinic, the 360uv skin cancer clinic, the non-surgical fat reduction technique Frosted Away and a fully accredited private hospital, Sole’vita.
Your Experience with Plastic Surgeons in Canberra
If you’ve had experience with these or other plastic surgeons in Canberra leave your feedback below.