The true cost of Skywhale and do you want to pay it? [With poll]

johnboy 10 May 2013 84

The Liberals Jeremy Hanson is working up his outrage at the true cost of Skywhale.

In a Public Accounts Committee hearing today, it was revealed the true costs to the ACT for the Skywhale for the Centenary of Canberra will be $300,000. ACT Opposition Leader Jeremy Hanson asked today why again it is only after questioning by the opposition and the media that the full truth is uncovered.

“In a week that Katy Gallagher called for a doubling of ACT politicians, this $300,000 extravagance again shows out of touch the ACT Government is with Canberrans’ priorities.

“It was also revealed during the committee hearing that whilst Canberra taxpayers will pay $300,000 for the hot air balloon, it is not actually owned by the Territory and has a design life of only 100 flights, with only one of those flights planned for Canberra so far.

“Whilst we respect the artist, it would have been nice to see something that that is visually more symbolic to the ACT and better represents our 100 year birthday,” concluded Mr Hanson.

Meanwhile the CanMeme guys and girls have been having a field day:

skywhale

As luck would have it in this Brumby free week we reviewed Whale Ale in this week’s rugby podcast in case you’ve not had enough of all things Cetacean.

And now to the poll:

The Skywhale

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

UPDATE: And with thanks again to CanMeme we should note the Canberra launch of the controversial beast will be at 9am tomorrow morning (Sat 11 May)

soon

Further Update: Enjoy twitter’s take through #skywhalemyths .

84 Responses to The true cost of Skywhale and do you want to pay it? [With poll]
poptop poptop 2:52 pm 10 May 13

The more I see it the more I like it.

I only hope the ACT Government has copyright or trademark or whatever on the SkyWhale\’s image. It will pay for itself in Tshirt and bumper sticker sales in a week. I\’d buy one for every member of my large extended family.

Also can RiotACT please employ Poetix to write Haiku on every substantive issue? Love her work.

caf caf 3:01 pm 10 May 13

I love the Skywhale, it’s like they decided to well and truly troll all those buttoned-down types who think that the only worthwhile art is staid paintings of worthy old rich men.

Watson Watson 3:01 pm 10 May 13

Worth. Every. Cent. !!!

caf caf 3:01 pm 10 May 13

Thumper said :

Or a 50 foot high sculpture of Jim Morrison, astride the Federal highway near Dickson.

John Stanhope, dressed as Jim Morrison, and you have yourself a deal.

c_c™ c_c™ 3:04 pm 10 May 13

poptop said :

In case you didn’t see the CT article, not, the government doesn’t. Artist owns all rights.

dungfungus dungfungus 3:14 pm 10 May 13

This abomination masquerading as art should be ne-named “The Whywhale?”.
The only location suitable for it is the Mount Rushmore Arboretum.

pierce pierce 3:17 pm 10 May 13

Just out of curiosity – does anyone know how much the New Year’s Eve fireworks shows cost? (Google wasn’t my friend).

Sydney’s is $6.5m but I get that this isn’t necessarily a helpful figure. Even if Canberra’s is only 5% the cost of Sydney’s, shall we compare 30 mins of ooohs and ahhhs with an image that will stay in the mind for years.

And yes, I would totally buy the tshirt.

switch switch 3:30 pm 10 May 13

Spitfire3 said :

When people think of canberra, they think of politicians. “As useless as… “

…tits on a whale?

Deref Deref 3:32 pm 10 May 13

poetix said :

Cetaceous floater
chewing soft cud of sky krill
blubbered cumulus

😀 Post of the month.

MERC600 MERC600 3:33 pm 10 May 13

johnboy said :

Tim Blair is not a fan:

The crimes Pope wasn’t long in using it.

Diggety Diggety 3:33 pm 10 May 13

I think Piccinini has successfully taken the piss out of Canberra.

As so many other artists commissioned to do public art have done in the past.

bikhet bikhet 3:38 pm 10 May 13

We paid for this at all? FFS, the ACT Government could surely do something better with our money!

bikhet bikhet 3:42 pm 10 May 13

bikhet said :

Like finish the footpath on the corner of Cooyong & Lonsdale St in Braddon!

Skidd Marx Skidd Marx 3:43 pm 10 May 13

Skyfail.

That thing that washed up on the beach in NZ is more attractive.

astrojax astrojax 3:47 pm 10 May 13

skywhale rocks almost as much as poetix’s tribute verse… 🙂

chewy14 chewy14 3:49 pm 10 May 13

Barcham said :

shauno said :

An orange whale with huge tits what on earth has that got to do with Canberra or any where else for that matter.

Would you have preferred a giant letter C? A big Julia Gillard? An enormous Chicken Gormet?

What would you have made your giant balloon sculpture look like?

If only it didn’t have multiple, hundred foot tits, I wouldnt have really cared. It’s ridiculous in the extreme.
Even something completely boring like a flying parliament house would be preferable. (and that’s saying something).

Watson Watson 3:51 pm 10 May 13

caf said :

There appear to be stacks of people in Canberra who want to model ‘art’ on commercial tv. To those people I the almighty Skywhale says: In your face!

beardedclam beardedclam 4:04 pm 10 May 13

poetix said :

Cetaceous floater
chewing soft cud of sky krill
blubbered cumulus

Great Haiku.

I love skywhale now. People will talk about this for years, its funny how serious Canberrans are taking this. I will always remember the day Skywhale made the City focus on one thing. It makes me feel like we aren’t in a town facing job cuts and the shite economy that will follow after September. It makes you forget the shit things going on in your life, whatever that is. If even only for a few seconds. Thanks for giving me something else to think about Skywhale.

beardedclam beardedclam 4:09 pm 10 May 13

RA, I would be interested to see the stats on comments in the last 24 hours in all discussion threads containing skywhale. Also maybe a comparison compared to other stories in history of just how much chat this has generated.

johnboy johnboy 4:12 pm 10 May 13

Well skywhale is big. But she’s no Mully. (well on track for the cup mind you)

davo101 davo101 4:14 pm 10 May 13

johnboy said :

Tim Blair is not a fan:

I’m liking it more and more.

Copyright © 2020 Region Group Pty Ltd. All rights reserved.
the-riotact.com | riotact.com.cn | aboutregional.com.au | b2bmagazine.com.au | thisiscanberra.com