The following in from our friends at the ABC:
1. BETTONG VANDALS Last week’s good news story about bettongs from Tasmania being reintroduced to the mainland has had a bitter postscript. Animal rights activists appear to have cut the nature park’s protective fence in more than 30 places. This could have let the bettongs out and the predators in.
The vandalism was apparently in response to the kangaroo culling that is going on in the ACT at the moment. (Spot the RiotACT reference.)
2. MORE THAN MEDALS Olympians Petria Thomas and Lauren Jackson extol the virtues of education for athletes – so that they can have careers that last longer than their sporting prowess.
3. WHO CARES Even the best of nursing homes suffers from staff shortages and subsequent care quality. Adam Shirley talks to new some new residents about their expectations.
Weekly NewsletterEvery Thursday afternoon, we package up the most-read and trending RiotACT stories of the past seven days and deliver straight to your inbox..
4. COOMA CANCER The good folk of Cooma have held their own Dances with the Stars event to raise hundreds of thousands of dollars to support a chemotherapy unit at the local hospital.
5. BEAR COTTAGE .. a fabulous resource for the families of sick and dying children – and it’s all free. Based in Sydney, it’s open to ACT families too.
6. CLOSER : WINTER – 6am this morning at Lyneham wetlands.