Three jets in parallel over Canberra?

Rollersk8r 3 May 2013 28

three jets

Yesterday afternoon around 3:20pm I spotted 3 jets over Canberra, flying side by side, heading more or less North.

They were too high to see exactly what sort of planes they were – but I’m guessing they were quite large from the contrails.

Slightly random/odd post I suppose – but I’ve never seen anything like it.

Any ideas?

Military aircraft perhaps??

[Photo by Grump]

28 Responses to Three jets in parallel over Canberra?
dungfungus 10:25 am 04 May 13

Devil_n_Disquiz said :

Pork Hunt said :

troll-sniffer said :

Could’ve been any number of military jets, but the most likely would be 3 Boeing FA-18s, second most likely would be three BAE Hawks. Interesting is how far apart they are. Probably decided to sit that far apart as it would be much more relaxing for the pilots. Whatever the case, lucky bastards the lot of them I say.

They would be McDonnell Douglas F/A 18’s. If Ford bought out Holden it would not make all Holdens ever built Fords. Similarly, something built by Mc/D cannot be a Boeing…

I had to go look this one up. Its a fair call. The F/A-18 Hornets are indeed MD. But the Super Hornet is Boeing.

Videos of Super Hornets on TV last night had them showing the MD logo on the side. I think Boeing converts them to Growlers.

Devil_n_Disquiz 8:35 am 04 May 13

Pork Hunt said :

troll-sniffer said :

LSWCHP 10:32 pm 03 May 13

Very odd. I’ve never seen military aircraft fly that far apart, and civilian aircraft never fly that close together.

They’d have to be military, but I’ve no idea who they are. They weren’t the two FA-18’s at Fyshwick. I watched them take off this arvo at 1400 from my window, and this pic was taken yesterday.

Devil_n_Disquiz 8:58 pm 03 May 13

BenMac said :

A C-130 and 2 jets (F/A 18’s?) landed at the airport yesterday. Maybe them?

C-17 perhaps?

Pork Hunt 7:06 pm 03 May 13

troll-sniffer said :

troll-sniffer 6:20 pm 03 May 13

Pork Hunt 4:51 pm 03 May 13

Parallel Lines. Is Blondie touring again?

Tez T 4:09 pm 03 May 13

Obviously high-level Public Service drones

Diggety 3:41 pm 03 May 13

I wonder if Canberra has exhorbitant jetA1 prices too?

If so, I don’t blame them for flying in formation to save fuel!

poetix 3:04 pm 03 May 13

It is a failed attempt to draw ‘a series of monoliths’ in the sky, to warn us all about the possibility of such development occurring in the inner north.

dungfungus 2:38 pm 03 May 13

grump said :

agree, saw it and took a pic (copy just emailed to images at riotact) – always watch the sky late afternoon to see how many contrails I can see, best is 7 I think but never like this. Had to be military, commercial on same route always have a gap

I saw contrails from two aircraft apparently level at very high altitude earlier in the week. They were on the normal Sydney to Melbourne route.
Reminded me of the old Ansett/TAA days.

andym 2:13 pm 03 May 13

Hmm – assume it was those two FA-18s that just flew south over Tuggers at ~1400.

Rollersk8r 2:05 pm 03 May 13

BenMac said :

A C-130 and 2 jets (F/A 18’s?) landed at the airport yesterday. Maybe them?

I am no expert but I would say they were way too high to be landing in Canberra.

grump 2:04 pm 03 May 13

this was about 3.20 and they were well west and kept tracking north til out of sight……

BenMac 1:32 pm 03 May 13

A C-130 and 2 jets (F/A 18’s?) landed at the airport yesterday. Maybe them?

Deref 1:15 pm 03 May 13

Probably the Royal Brunei Air Force making sure the terrists don’t get His Majesty.

PBO 12:58 pm 03 May 13

Saw that as well, seemed very odd to say the least.

Rollersk8r 11:49 am 03 May 13

Good work grump!

grump 11:21 am 03 May 13

andym 10:43 am 03 May 13

ah yeah – I spotted that too and thought it unusual. Unusual enough that I checked FlightRadar24 to see what they were. They weren’t showing up on there, so I figured military.
Its not unusual though to see three flights together, Jetstar, Virgin and QANTAS, but not that close.

Copyright © 2019 Region Group Pty Ltd. All rights reserved.