Lifestyle

Get RSM on your side at tax time.

Tidbinbilla serves Kangaroo meat at their cafe.

By FreddyVegan - 12 December 2012 126

Over the weekend myself and an interstate friend went to Tidbbinbilla for a lovely day with the kangaroos and wildlife. Afterwards we decided to stop off at the new cafe they have there for lunch. You can imagine our shock and horror when we saw grilled kangaroo fillet and kangaroo sausages on menu. Kangaroos are one of the main attractions at Tidbinbilla, what message are we sending to visitors if we offer our native animal up for lunch. Spend the day with the kangaroos then come and eat them for lunch served along side Native Bush Tomatoes, wtf?.

Although I probably shouldn’t be suprised, this is canberra after all.

What’s Your opinion?

126 Responses to
Tidbinbilla serves Kangaroo meat at their cafe.
Grimm 2:47 pm 12 Dec 12

I really wish somebody would just start eating these stupid vegans.

Conan of Cooma 2:44 pm 12 Dec 12

I hate it when I go home to Cooma, passing all those sheep on the way home, and then my painfully omnivorous partner serves me a revolting lamp chop. I mean – WTF?!? Who takes meat from animals? Surely they could grow it from some soya extract and make it palletable, like tofu or hippie pubes?

LSWCHP 2:40 pm 12 Dec 12

Diggety said :

I visited a tofu factory the other day, and to my shock/horror – they were serving tofu on the menu. I was so outraged my head damn near exploded!!!

Kudos to Cafe Tidbinbilla for a) opening, and b) serving kangaroo. Imagine the food miles, they’d be measured in meters!

I wonder if vegans are aware that most tofu is actually made of chicken bits. Anuses and beaks and stuff…

Diggety 2:20 pm 12 Dec 12

Aaroncbr 2:07 pm 12 Dec 12

troll-sniffer said :

Vegetarians coming to dinner? Simply serve them a nice bit of steak or veal. Since they’re always going on about how tofu, quorn, meat substitute etc ‘tastes exactly like the real thing’, they won’t notice any difference.

Invited by vegetarians for dinner? Point out that since you’d no doubt be made aware of their special dietary requirements, tell them about yours, and ask for a nice steak.

Troll-sniffer with the thigh slapper.

astrojax 1:52 pm 12 Dec 12

Pandy said :

Lets feed whale to the tourists instead!

only if it has served its scientific purpose (porpoise?) first…

DrKoresh 1:48 pm 12 Dec 12

My parents tricked me into eating roo sausages once and they were damn yummy,

Spitfire3 1:47 pm 12 Dec 12

zorro29 said :

there is actually a kangaroo picture on the menu…

Looks like a wallaby to me.

Wallabies are lardarses.

Pandy 1:25 pm 12 Dec 12

Lets feed whale to the tourists instead!

troll-sniffer 1:19 pm 12 Dec 12

bigfeet 1:16 pm 12 Dec 12

Paul0075 said :

I think the original poster might object to killing birds with stones as well.

Paul0075 1:05 pm 12 Dec 12

Don’t bother looking in the meat section of the supermarket then. There’s plenty of kangaroo to buy there too. Marinated, plain, sausages, roasts, etc. If you go to the right supermarkets / butchers you can also get emu, crocodile and so on.

Like the others have said, it’s a versatile and very lean meat, and rich in the minerals we get from other meats, and kills several birds with one stone: little impact on the environment with farming, it’s almost fat free, it’s also quite delicious, and by having Skippy on our plates, we keep the overpopulation of the nation’s roo stocks in check (and you’d be blind to think that we don’t have too many roos, especially given the collisions Canberra is renowned for – AAMI said it’s their highest insurance claim for the ACT a few years ago).

zorro29 12:37 pm 12 Dec 12

lol there is actually a kangaroo picture on the menu…

actually seems like a great showcase of local and unique flavours and produce

poetix 12:34 pm 12 Dec 12

The only thing that annoys me about the menu (which has vego meals) is that they spell Shepherd’s Pie as Sheppard’s Pie. I really hate that and I see it all the time. German Sheppards. Sheppard’s Pie. If you think sheep herd you can’t go wrong.

I suppose a roo herd has a rood pie? (Rood’s would spoil things.)

Solidarity 12:29 pm 12 Dec 12

crappicker said :

As someone who loves to see kangaroos hopping around, I hate to see them slaughtered for mass consumption. To offer kangaroo meat on the menu at, of all places, the Tidbinbilla cafe, seems a serious misjudgement by management.

What’s so good about Kangaroos? All they do is hop around and be useless. At least being killed and eaten, they’re slightly less useless than they are when they’re alive.