Lifestyle

Tax time headache?
Let us crunch the numbers

To arms Rioters – Drive the Emos from Garema Place! (unless you are a Garema Place Emo, in which case prepare to repel boarders)

By johnboy 3 October 2008 190

[First filed: October 02, 2008 @ 09:35]

The Tilt Festival running in Garema Place appears to have hit some turbulence.

All round good sort, Greens candidate for Molonglo, and Tilt organiser, Elena Kirschbaum, has sent out the following plea for help:

Subject: Battle the emo kids

Hey guys,

This is a little request, a little favour.

The Tilt Festival is bringing in some of Australia’s best street performers. They are really exceptional.

We’ve been trying to deal with horrible drunk emos every day who are yelling abuse and generally being a bit nasty.

I need a crowd to battle them. Seriously. I need a bucketload of people to come and be loud and supportive and great and battle the emo kids until they get the picture and f*** off.

So please come down. Feel free to dress in bright colours, with slogans like ‘I heart life’. You can also wear beads (or will that make you too hippy?)

Come on down. Apart from battling emos tonight you will also get to see ADDJ and Mr Fish, two of the best shows I’ve ever seen on the street. And tomorrow night is a big one – see Mr Fish, ADDJ and Canberra’s own ex-pats the Circus Firemen doing a big group show with all new skills and stunts!

So which side are you on boys and girls?

UPDATED: The Canberra Times has picked up the story and added some comment from Elena and Greens leadership. I’m rather curious as to where Natasha Rudra got the story from as there’s no mention of RiotACT in there.

I do, however, want to apologise to Elena for any trouble I’ve caused (and for the idiot things certain commentards have said about her). I hope the increased exposure for the festival makes up for it.

ANOTHER UPDATE: The Greens have published Elena’s apology.

What’s Your opinion?

190 Responses to
Showing only Website comments
Newest to Oldest
Oldest to Newst
Zapruda 11:07 am 02 Oct 08

What a sorry excuse for a lady, I wonder if she has tried talking to them or is she Just going Straight to the “battle”

Good one Elena Kirschbaum fuel there already immense hate of people like you

NoAddedMSG 11:03 am 02 Oct 08

Loquaciousness said :

Aurelius said :

Ostracizing emos?
Or ostrich-sizing emus?
And is it just me who wants to kill someone when they hear an American say emooo?

That might be just you. I do however want to kill someone whenever I see people using an American “zee” in their writing, when an English “ess” quite rightly belongs there.

L

Be glad you don’t work in science, where “a-mide” is becoming “ammmm-id”, the migrating F has claimed victory in the sulphur vs sulfur battle, and we are just waiting for lazy speaking to win out and drop the “ph” from “phth”, as in phthalate and naphthalene.

Thumper 11:03 am 02 Oct 08

Well you know there’s Youth. They are conscientuous and will lecture you at length about recycling and The Future.

And then whip out their mobile phones, have 30 minute showers, wash their ‘bestest most fav’ clothes every day, eat McDonalds, etc…

johnboy 10:45 am 02 Oct 08

amarooresident said :

And really, this Green candidate really isn’t showing a lot of tolerence and understanding to what I might well be the Greens target market.

And then there’s people who are just young, and they don’t give much of a rat’s arse.

Duke 10:42 am 02 Oct 08

Sounds like it’s the Junkies, not the Emos they’re having trouble with. All that Garema entertainment is interfering with the Junkie panhandling.

The emos just sit there looking miserable, seldom engaging in conversation with anybody bar their blackened brethren.

amarooresident 10:41 am 02 Oct 08

If there upsetting Greens candidates then I am automatically on their side. Go emo! My tolerence for street performers is pretty low too.

ilmarinen 10:39 am 02 Oct 08

Elena has it all wrong. You don’t fight emos with non-emos; that’s what they have spent months training for, and even if they win, they’ve forced you to their level! Bring in some goths, let them know that the Garema Emos are tarnishing their name, and let nature take it’s course. Though then you might have a new problem. I am sure South Park has done or will do an episode on this kind of emo infestation.

Aurelius 10:38 am 02 Oct 08

Thumper said :

Took months of listening to British 80s pop to get over it.

Listening to The Feldons CD, I’d never have imagined 🙂

Loquaciousness 10:25 am 02 Oct 08

Aurelius said :

Ostracizing emos?
Or ostrich-sizing emus?

L

tastyjam 10:22 am 02 Oct 08

If they’re shouting abuse they’re not emo.
They’re… screamo.

I’ll make an appearance, sounds interesting.

Thumper 10:21 am 02 Oct 08

Maybe the emos are just reclaiming the night?

Deadmandrinking 10:21 am 02 Oct 08

Do you think it might be a case of Emos being confused with Scene Kids. (I’ve heard they’re two different things)…

Or junkies?

johnboy 10:19 am 02 Oct 08

Normally I’d agree DMD, but it doesn’t seem to be the poptops causing trouble here.

Deadmandrinking 10:16 am 02 Oct 08

Yeah…

I know it’s so easy to pick on them, but really, they’re a lot more harmless than the pop-collar lads. Just think of them as todays goths. I for one can remember long monologues about how life sucks, black metal is the answer and killing yourself is inevitable.

Danman 9:58 am 02 Oct 08

This is where i insert the obligatory emo grass cut itself comment.

There is a facebook group called something like save garema from teh clutches of the emo….

Thumper 9:55 am 02 Oct 08

An emo once sultrified me…

Took months of listening to British 80s pop to get over it.

Deadmandrinking 9:54 am 02 Oct 08

I thought emo’s were pretty quiet.

johnboy 9:52 am 02 Oct 08

And you have to be very careful if you upset them:

But if you’re troubled and hurt
What you got under your shirt
Will make them pay for the things that they did.

Aurelius 9:46 am 02 Oct 08

Ostracizing emos?
Or ostrich-sizing emus?

New Yeah 9:44 am 02 Oct 08

Be careful about ostracizing emos – it vindicates their angst and they become more surly.