To love Canberra is to love Mooseheads

johnboy 18 September 2008 44

[First filed: September 17, 2008 @ 12:11]

These posters have been on our buses for a while. So perhaps we can debate them dispassionately.

Is there a link between love of our fair city and the linked boozing halls on London Circuit?

Do we love Mooseheads for concentrating the ADFA folk and their hangers on, thereby freeing up the city for the rest of us?

Discuss…

Mooseheads

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

44 Responses to To love Canberra is to love Mooseheads
Davo111 Davo111 9:34 am 19 Sep 08

circusmind said :

What’s the median age in here, 82? Lighten up.

85 actually. 😉 lol

circusmind circusmind 3:21 am 19 Sep 08

What’s the median age in here, 82? Lighten up.

ant ant 9:29 pm 18 Sep 08

Hang on, hang on, back up about half way. People stand in line to get into Mooseheads? WHY?! When did this happen? I’ve never heard of such a thing, you go out to go out, not stand in a line for hours. Bugger that. aren’t there enough nightclubs?

We used to end up there after drunken nights out after work. One of us was friends with a certain motorbike riders’ club and there always seemed to be a few of them drinking with us. I never liked the place much (at all).

johnboy johnboy 9:27 pm 18 Sep 08

knock yourself out.

The poll voters however are unusually keen..

rosebud rosebud 9:22 pm 18 Sep 08

Can I vote this ‘Featured Post’ lamest ever?

paddytrick paddytrick 6:51 pm 18 Sep 08

Come for the ADFA boys, stay for the vomit.

toriness toriness 5:03 pm 18 Sep 08

mooseheads. my 2 cents is that it’s a shame that when it burnt down there was time for the clientele to get out unscathed.

davebro davebro 3:52 pm 18 Sep 08

As it is looking increasingly likely that Sarah Palin will be visiting Canberra on official business Mooseheads had better look out!

Overheard Overheard 1:30 pm 18 Sep 08

I was never much of a fan of the Moose and have only been in a handful of times. They used to (maybe still do) cheap pints on Friday lunchtimes when it was all very quiet and civilised. Drinking at lunchtime just seems like a remnant of a bygone age in my trade these days.

Went there after a Xmas Party with some bright and lovely young things and offered to shout the first round. Suddenly the round changed from pints to vodka and red bull and I nearly wept when I saw the change out of a fifty. My kids don’t need shoes that much.

Only other time it was reasonably OK was in the wee small hours after the school reunion I organised about four years ago. The drunks started to thin out at about 3am and it was quite pleasant, though my enduring memory is of two mates being hoisted through the door for some minor infraction. It took me three hours to walk (mostly sideways) home to Macquarie and I was still rotten hungover until 6pm. Bah!

Davo111 Davo111 12:24 pm 18 Sep 08

New Yeah said :

Price, and sponsorship of university events.

tylersmayhem tylersmayhem 12:06 pm 18 Sep 08

Gee, and those ashes weren’t suspect?!

Mind you, this topic really is grasping at straws as a conversation piece.

I take back this previous comment of mine JB – it’s turned out to be quite entertaining! 😛

New Yeah New Yeah 10:24 am 18 Sep 08

Mooseheads hasn’t always been ‘the’ premier booner joint in Civic.

When I had a predilection for dubious beer halls and the wild women within, Mooseheads was no better than the other half dozen clubs nearby, such as Pandoras and the Bin.

I remain surprised that Mooseheads has been able to rise from the ashes to be Canberra’s preeminent club. Like others here, I don’t begrude its existence, but it is a place I do my best to avoid.

cring cring 9:28 am 18 Sep 08

I just find it extremely ironic when these buses have “SCHOOL BUS” labeled on the LCD panel, despite Krudd’s efforts to curb binge drinking in our youth.

Thumper Thumper 8:42 am 18 Sep 08

Oh, come on guys! D*ckhead isn’t a comment worth moderating!

Absent Diane Absent Diane 8:23 am 18 Sep 08

mooseheads? headmooses?? head? moose? hmmm i think i would rather not get head from a moose.

Roma Roma 8:04 am 18 Sep 08

^^ What a horrendous story. So a TV came down on a girls head?!?! Far out.

I have never stepped inside the place, myself. From the stories i’ve heard I really don’t think it would be my cup of tea.

Matto Matto 1:50 am 18 Sep 08

Was never a real fan of the place, but seemed to end up there after a dozen too many. I can remember one night when some drunk punter pulled the tele down on a young unsuspecting sheila. Made a ripe mess of her. I don’t know how it didn’t knock her unconscious, but it sure split her open. Claret everywhere, which I’m sure would’ve led to a nice sewing job. Now that was going back a few years. Don’t think I’ve been back in a semi sober state since, not since the fire anyways.

theonewhoanswersthephones theonewhoanswersthephones 12:48 am 18 Sep 08

Mooseheads is a classy place. Feet stick to the floor? Check. Sleazy guys who all think they’re it-and-a-bit? Check. Drunk Army boys? Check. Drink spiking incidents? Check.

But every now and again I get dragged to that long winding line to go inside, and as i’m handing over my money I sigh at the irony of paying to go somewhere knowing that chances are I will be hit on by a freak/have a drink spilled on me/have some lovely young woman want to punch me for no reason.

Winner of a place!

Sharkie Sharkie 10:33 pm 17 Sep 08

I used to hang out there when I was at Uni last century. There was only the ground floor, we knew all the staff, we knew all the punters. So there is much affection for the memories I have of the place, but it is certainly much changed. Now I’m just glad when the regular Moose crowd walks past the Phoenix, rather than walking in…

gladbag gladbag 9:59 pm 17 Sep 08

I thought Mooseheads was representative of the youth of Canberra?? As a very busy old fart who gets two nights out a year on a good year, I love to finish off that night at Mooseheads to watch people, it’s very funny. Is there somewhere out there more entertaining?