I’m not one to be convinced by these kinds of stories; none the less, my search recovered quite a few interesting articles and theories from different people. Here are several of these so-called “secrets” I found regarding Canberra:
– Deakin Exchange is apparently a NSA facility disguised as Telstra.
– Telstra Tower has secret areas. One particular communications tech who worked on the tower claims that it has been used to spy on the Chinese Embassy. He gave a long interview to Jana Wendt which was shown on the ABC and which now has a ‘D-notice’ on it – that is, further publication of the interview is forbidden by the Federal Government.
– An 1973 interview with a former NSA agent living in Australia “confirms” that there was a large base operating under the US Embassy guarded by US Marines. Apparently employed up to 100 people. No longer exists and just patrolled by Rent-a-Cops.
– The Naval communications station in Belconnen is probably the most famous. Rumours of an underground base have been surfaced all over the place.
– Various tunnels running underneath Lake Burley Griffin, New Parliament House, Old Parliament House, US Embassy, Black Mountain Tower etc. Maybe someone can confirm or deny if there are any known tunnels under Canberra.
– Foreign Affairs (Underground Bunkers, Forrest)
– A massive multi-level underground facility under Parliament House.
There are tons more. One poster ‘Ixataar’ on the Above Top Secret forum lists a whole bunch of secret facilities in Canberra which he claims to have set foot in. In his words “Canberra has everything…”. God help us if there is anther world war, it seems like Canberra is the biggest target in the Southern hemisphere!
Here are some of the sources I quoted from. All coming from different threads/pages on the one forum.
It is all quite an interesting read. Some ideas I find amusing such as Canberra becoming the Capital of a New World Order (One World Government). I’m not one to be easily convinced but one has to wonder that by Canberra being the nations capital, the chances of it having some sort of secret underground facility would seem appropriate.
Has anyone heard of any other rumoured Top Secret facilities in Canberra? Has anyone set foot in any of the tunnels underneath Canberra? Opinions? Let us know!