Trouble at the markets?

johnboy 21 June 2013 36

The ABC has a strange complaint about the Saturday Farmers Market getting too many punters in which is somehow bad for business:

Beef and lamb producer Phil McCormack, from Crookwell on the NSW Southern Tablelands, says his market sales have fallen by 25 per cent in the last 18 months.

Mr McCormack says the weekly event is no longer a traditional farmers market and management needs to rethink its approach.

“People are sitting around and it’s getting in the road of people who want to just come in and buy and go home,” he said.

“I think we need to get back to the roots of what a genuine farmers market is and it’s genuine farmers.

“They take the elements, they take drought, they take floods, they take fire, they take everything into account, where the people that cook in their houses and do whatever they do in their houses, they don’t take anything like that into account.”

36 Responses to Trouble at the markets?
Brianna Brianna 5:57 pm 22 Jun 13

shirty_bear said :

towerofsoup said :

So… I shouldn’t go to the markets?

I went to these markets once. *Once*.

The complaint centred around the markets having become more about coffee and cake, than about local fresh-to-market produce. Which, in my experience, is correct. And the coffee-and-cake brigade ain’t buying what produce is there, whilst making it relatively difficult for actual buyers to navigate the joint.

I thought his basic point was a fair one, even if (along with no help from the announcer/interviewer) clumsily put. No surprise, given that he’s a farmer; he only wants to see punters there for farm stuff.
They probably need two markets side by side – one for the farmers and and one for the crowd who want to kid themselves they’re shopping at a farmer’s market while they blankly slurp their coffee.

+1 billion…….that is exactly what needs to happen……..I want to go for the fresh produce (farm to us) and I resent having to navigate the blankly sipping latte crowd who are often totally unaware of their surroundings………..

Madam Cholet Madam Cholet 3:31 pm 22 Jun 13

I’m always surprised by people’s capacity to believe that just because it comes from the farmers market that it is fresh, organic, better for us. From what I can see there is no requirement by the these markets for producers to demonstrate that their food is locally grown, not sprayed yesterday etc etc. I’ve certainly purchased stuff there, but I’m surprised that in the type of environment we live in these days in which we are regulated to within an inch of our lives concerning public health, that there is not more scrutiny.

bigfeet bigfeet 1:54 pm 22 Jun 13

No problem at all beef and lamb producer Phil McCormack from Crookwell. I hear you loud and clear and will comply.

To ensure you have plenty of space around your stall, I will in future purchase my beef and/or lamb from one of the other producers.

Thanks for the heads-up and I am sorry to have previously been an inconvenience to you.

Masquara Masquara 1:37 pm 22 Jun 13

Question was asked on 666 yesterday re the market: where are those ripe red capsicums on sale at this time of the season being grown? Not locally. Queensland was the commenter’s thesis. What IS the farmer’s market policy? I thought it was only for local growers?

rosscoact rosscoact 11:59 am 22 Jun 13

Crowds are a pain but it’s the only place to buy real fresh produce that lasts a week or longer.

Many of these suggestions are good though, it is a pain to shop when there are too many people for the venue to comfortably accommodate.

Ben_Dover Ben_Dover 7:58 am 22 Jun 13

aidan said :

Translation: “Get off my markets!” ?

Farmer Palmer fan?

arescarti42 said :

I find the crowds at the farmers markets to be a total pain in the ass, and now go less frequently than I did previously.

Ditto, though I never go at all now.

lostinbias lostinbias 12:02 am 22 Jun 13

I might suggest that he loses business because of his “buy your stuff and get out” attitude.

Good customer service goes a long way, bad customer service does too.

DrKoresh DrKoresh 11:00 pm 21 Jun 13

Maybe the punters are just getting confused between the Farmers’ Market and the Farmers’ Meerkat?

Pork Hunt Pork Hunt 9:55 pm 21 Jun 13

sepi said :

too many customers staying too long is a problem most venues would like to have.

they need to spread out a bit – they are at the showgrounds – how can it be too small.

or segregate a bit better – so the nutbag vegie hunters can get in, grab their southern highlands brussels sprouts and get out, without being shocked by the sight of someone in ironed clothing, and those who want to wander and smell the coffee and see what local produce is all about can do so at their leisure.

Or have the vegies start at 5am, and the coffee and cake and pies etc starting at 10.30, and going all day. I might even go to the markets if it was on in the afternoon….

Where does the insanity of mega early starts (5 am) come from? My goodness (or fcuk as others would say)…

sepi sepi 8:53 pm 21 Jun 13

Comic_and_Gamer_Nerd Comic_and_Gamer_Nerd 5:48 pm 21 Jun 13

I go almost every week. It is no hassle to buy anything. Maybe his produce is not up to standards?

fernandof fernandof 4:15 pm 21 Jun 13

I’ve been shopping there regularly in the last 2+ years. We’re talking veggies, fruits, meats, breads, cheese, dips and the occasional sweet treat. So yeah, it’s not the hardcore market it used to be when you had to get up at 6am to do your shopping, but it’s still a very good market for fresh produce.

FioBla FioBla 4:06 pm 21 Jun 13

He has a beef.

puggy puggy 3:52 pm 21 Jun 13

Comic_and_Gamer_Nerd said :

Is he a half wit?

Not completely. I’m one of those people who want to get in, buy my stuff and GTFO and I know exactly the types of people he’s talking about. There are women dressed to the nines at 7:30am, an uncomfortably high number of posers or just gas baggers who clagg up the passages to the stalls doing nothing but exuding “look at moi, look at my organic bagel spinach”. It is, admittedly, part of the charm of the markets, but some people can overdo it.

shirty_bear shirty_bear 3:38 pm 21 Jun 13

towerofsoup said :

So… I shouldn’t go to the markets?

I went to these markets once. *Once*.

Comic_and_Gamer_Nerd Comic_and_Gamer_Nerd 3:06 pm 21 Jun 13

Is he a half wit?

poetix poetix 3:01 pm 21 Jun 13

I thought that a market might have something to do with genuine customers, too. Why shouldn’t people ‘sit around’ if they want to?

Epic whinge.

towerofsoup towerofsoup 2:49 pm 21 Jun 13

So… I shouldn’t go to the markets?

arescarti42 arescarti42 2:47 pm 21 Jun 13

I think what they need is to find a bigger venue where they can spread out a bit, or perhaps hold it on both Saturday and Sunday so they can split the crowd a bit.

aidan aidan 2:20 pm 21 Jun 13

Translation: “Get off my markets!” ?