Tuggeranong truants

Christof 29 April 2012 31

So last Friday during school hours I was walking to my car via the Gazebo down behind La Porchetta next to the Tuggeranong Hyperdome and noticed some teenagers in hoodies and ‘homie’ gear sitting around the Gazebo yelling some sort of abuse at a couple as they walked past.  Well it was my turn as I got closer and the kids started to maliciously insult me – I was quite taken aback and briefly considered the possibility of giving them all the flogging of their lives but the thought has quickly replaced with the more sober realization that I could face jail time and condemnation if I pursued such a course of action.  So I did what I believe to be the right thing and ignore them.  I believe that the truants may not be so lucky with other strangers and that they are putting themselves in great danger.

So what is it with some Canberra teens these days?  Have they no respect for polite strangers and society in general?  This kind of behavior seems to be more frequent these days.  Have YOU encountered unsolicited abuse from teenagers?  What did you do,  what should be done about this?

Tags

31 Responses to Tuggeranong truants
maniac maniac 2:23 pm 30 Apr 12

When something like that happened to me I stood up to them. I told them I am calling the police, took out my phone and started dialling. The kids all apologised and refused to make eye contact. Victory!

Katietonia Katietonia 1:17 pm 30 Apr 12

Come back with 10 of your mates, wielding baseball bats? *in my dreams*

Gerry-Built Gerry-Built 9:20 pm 29 Apr 12

matt31221 said :

I think I look like a saint next to some of Gen Y.

Some kids today are not getting the discipline they should be getting at home. At the same time, various Governments have removed the ability of schools to provide any meaningful consequences for serious behaviour issues. Most kids who go off the rails don’t get any serious consequence until they are legally adults and their behaviour is so engrained it is difficult for them to change their ways. Although expensive to initiate, some meaningful intervention prior to adolescence would have a payoff in the long term. Of course; no Government works outside a three year cycle… so chances of this happening are close to zero.

farnarkler farnarkler 9:01 pm 29 Apr 12

Hehe reminds me of one lunchtime in the mid 80’s when a jogger jumped the Challis Street fence of Daramalan Oval and punched a moron student who was a year above me. The cretin had mouthed off at the jogger who decided he wasn’t going to take any crap.

Sandman Sandman 9:00 pm 29 Apr 12

Well the “role models” and “keepers” would be those aged somewhere between 35 and 60. They’re the ones who have raised these children and allowed them to become the scourge on society that they are. Shouldn’t most of the blame be put on them, and even their parents for raising kids that are too lazy to be bothered showing an interest in their own offspring?

Thunderbox Thunderbox 8:05 pm 29 Apr 12

Bring in Mandatory national service.

Instant Mash Instant Mash 5:36 pm 29 Apr 12

All the time in Woden. If it’s not that then they’re trying to bludge cigarettes. Considering that when I say I don’t have any, they continue pestering, chances are they could probably use the education. Freakin’ brats.

matt31221 matt31221 4:23 pm 29 Apr 12

FioBla said :

I don’t live in Tuggeranong, but go there occasionally. There was an article in the CT about a crime wave, and the 2 businesses mentioned were in that area.

IMO there seems to be something odd about the design of Tuggeranong Town Centre. I use that spot to get from the lake to the Anketell Street, and try to ride through quickly (bicycle).

That gazebo in the background of that Canberra times story is the place where my experience occurred!

@awickedchild, I don’t know about that – when I was their age I was considered a really naughty child and was in a class for children with behavioral problems. The only adults I disrespected were my school teachers but wouldn’t dare directly verbally insult any strangers or any other adults. I think I look like a saint next to some of Gen Y.

+1 to everyone else!

goggles13 goggles13 3:27 pm 29 Apr 12

the teenagers just want attention. unless they physically attack you, just ignore them, words won’t hurt.

obviously these teens have nothing better to do during their holidays.

c_c c_c 2:25 pm 29 Apr 12

Welcome to Tuggers, where today I noticed a small child walking behind his dad (who had a mullet), with an unlit cigarette in his mouth trying to imitate dad.

Gerry-Built Gerry-Built 1:09 pm 29 Apr 12

No doubt, these are children of nappy recyclers… Apparently you can sees them around Tuggeranong Town Centre…

milkman milkman 1:09 pm 29 Apr 12

If it was me, well I have a smart mouth and enjoy sending some back!

CanMum CanMum 12:30 pm 29 Apr 12

“So what is it with some Canberra teens these days?”

This type of behaviour is not particular to Canberra teens. It’s everywhere unfortunately and the disrespectful attitude and subsequent bad behaviour needs to be tackled in the home. If the parents can’t do it and have lost control then they need to get help. The rest of us put in the hard yards in bringing up kids that respect others don’t deserve to be subjected to this type of behaviour.

Squidward Squidward 12:02 pm 29 Apr 12

bikhet said :

Pork Hunt said :

School holidays?

That’s right. Ban them!

Even better, ban teenagers! Lets send them to bootcamp from 13-19. That’ll teach them.

FioBla FioBla 11:59 am 29 Apr 12

Sigma Sigma 11:46 am 29 Apr 12

You should have followed your gut, flogged one of them and then watch the rest run away thinking twice about being a smart.

awickedchild awickedchild 11:44 am 29 Apr 12

Kids these days? Really? Because no one back in the good old days ever did anything wrong. Crime was invented by Gen Y.

johnboy johnboy 12:18 pm 29 Apr 12

as we often say here, on the walls of the pyramids you’ll find the oldies complaining about the youth of today!

abc abc 11:43 am 29 Apr 12

School resumes tomorrow after holiday break

bikhet bikhet 11:38 am 29 Apr 12

Pork Hunt said :

School holidays?

That’s right. Ban them!

Pork Hunt Pork Hunt 11:24 am 29 Apr 12

School holidays?

Copyright © 2019 Region Group Pty Ltd. All rights reserved.