UC takes over the name of two schools

johnboy 22 March 2011 22

Andrew Barr has announced that he’s handed over the names of two schools to the University of Canberra:

Today I launched the University of Canberra (UC) partnership with the ACT Department of Education and Training, which sees Lake Ginninderra College and Kaleen High School officially become the University of Canberra Senior Secondary College, Lake Ginninderra and the University of Canberra High School, Kaleen.

The UC partnership with these two schools is one of the most significant in the history of ACT public schooling and a first for Australia.

Long experience of ACT Government attempts to innovate do not inspire confidence.

One wonders why a general agreement to give all schools access to university resources would not have been preferable to an exclusive deal with naming rights changing hands to the Territory’s schools.

What’s Your opinion?

22 Responses to
UC takes over the name of two schools
Showing only Website comments
Newest to Oldest
Oldest to Newest
boobook 10:30 am 30 Mar 11

Gungahlin Al said :

And the naming – just doesn’t work does it?

Funnily enough, it has apparently caused some comment already: one of my kiddies goes to UCKHS and recently attended an ACTPS/student forum on, well, something or other, and said child reported that his cohort was consistently mis-identified as “Canberra High School”, as a result of an insistence on the “branding” being expressed as “UNIVERSITY of CANBERRA …(pause) kaleenHIGHschool” rather than say “UC Kaleen High”.

Being a crafty bunch of teenagers, and having been made to remove their uniform shirts to wear convention sponsor shirts instead, they spotted the opportunity for some light-weight mischief under cover of this mistaken identity and proceeded to defraud the Territory of a few kilos of Mentos courtesy sweets and raid the food tables. No idea what the convention was about, but they ate well that day. Thanks Mr Barr.

KaptnKaos 9:45 am 30 Mar 11

Diggety said :

What exactly does Andrew Barr do at work all day?

Picks out schools to close and earmarks sites for superschools.

Kaleen was one set to be closed by actgovco, but actgovco, being the superhero’s they are, “saved” it by bringing it under the UC banner and reducing the costs of their education minister.

vintagediva 10:49 pm 29 Mar 11

Gerry-Built said :

vintagediva said :

Perhaps RiotACTers should look at (and understand) the big picture before criticising.

Other than that of Barr, there was no criticism of the union prior to your post…

Uh, seriously… really?

Gungahlin Al 4:37 pm 23 Mar 11

I don’t know. It leaves me perplexed.

I would like to think, and have been actively campaigning for, the Gungahlin College curriculum to have very close links to the courses offered at both ANU and UC. Thinking being: if our kids can go to uni locally, they can stay at home (shudders a bit at that thought) instead of moving away and having to work to pay the rent instead of studying.

So I would have preferred to know that our kids have just as much chance of nabbing a place as a kids from Belco area.

And the naming – just doesn’t work does it?

Gerry-Built 4:16 pm 23 Mar 11

aidan said :

“Nice kids” tend to keep themselves off the radar, you know, out of the spotlight. Leaving the poorly behaved to be easily spotted, and therefore easily generalised.

Teachers tend to learn the names of the poorly behaved students sooner than any of the others in the class – and spend a lot of time repeating those names ad nauseum…

pierce said :

UC are planning on opening a polytechnic – wonder if there is a connection.

Yes, it is all part of VC Parkers cradle to the grave vision for UC. Wacth for the university of the third age announcement.

pierce 11:29 am 23 Mar 11

UC are planning on opening a polytechnic – wonder if there is a connection.

aidan 10:36 am 23 Mar 11

Kaleen High has had low enrolments for quite a while. Comments like this:

I-filed said :

obviously don’t help. I know a few pupils at Kaleen High and none of them could be described as above. They are nice kids.

I see this as a marketing exercise by the Government to try and lift enrolments at Kaleen High. Good on them for trying something.

Gerry-Built 9:56 am 23 Mar 11

vintagediva said :

JessP 9:23 am 23 Mar 11

This is a bizarre situation for me.

Jess Junior goes to Melba Copland.

Does this mean she is excluded from the resources of UC? She cant attend this fine academic institution? What the hell does it mean??

Meisha 8:57 am 23 Mar 11

RE: perhaps RiotACTers should look at (and understand) the big picture before criticising.

I agree. The information supplied indicates how teacher education students and staff at the Uni will benefit along with the schools.

Gerry-Built 8:01 am 23 Mar 11

any bets on when the first McDonald’s High School agreement is signed? Most schools would probably jump at any opportunity for additional resourcing…

I’m not exactly sure what the benefit to any of the institutions actually is – are they simply a naming rights sponsor?

vintagediva 1:18 am 23 Mar 11

UC are being innovative. Also, they are being responsive to the needs of the community and the recommendations of the Bradley review. This is another step in developing a polytechnic and simplifying access and pathways across schools, VET and Higher Ed.
As much as the system could indeed work better, the reality is that UC are working within the system they are given and are trying new and interesting things.

Morgan 10:40 pm 22 Mar 11

I dunno, University of {Anywhere} School, makes me think that the school is a bit special needs or experimental. On a serious note I cant understand what this deal will do for UC? Is it designed to get more students coming to UC? I would have thought that targeting one high school would have such little effect on enrolments, especially as UC cant market itself as an elite institution to the better students who will invariably go to ANU or Syd/Melbourne

The addition of these students will surely have now raised the general academic standard of UC.

BimboGeek 7:52 pm 22 Mar 11

I-filed said :

UC is straightsville and largely Asian. Kaleen High is polarised between Cronulla-esque/druggie/”Mediterranean” gang member/ types (according to my friend who teaches there). The branding on this venture is going to be interesting. I guess it will simply be fractured – like any of UC’s sad and failed branding.

I-filed said WHAT? Why don’t you just say the Kaleen kids are wogs and don’t deserve to even be in the vicinity of a university?

Thumper 7:03 pm 22 Mar 11

“What exactly does Andrew Barr do at work all day?”

Apparently very little.

I-filed 6:55 pm 22 Mar 11

Ryan 5:54 pm 22 Mar 11

Diggety said :

What exactly does Andrew Barr do at work all day?

Screen his follow requests on Twitter?

Diggety 4:55 pm 22 Mar 11

What exactly does Andrew Barr do at work all day?

Keijidosha 4:31 pm 22 Mar 11

“The partnership aims to ensure that the ACT’s public education system continues to meet the needs of students, employers and the economy.”

Unless I am missing something, this partnership will benefit the students of both Lake G and Kaleen High School by giving them a leg-up into UC, and benefit the schools themselves by boosting enrollments through exclusivity. The downside to this is the obvious disadvantage to schools not in cohorts.

I’m with JB, surely an agreement for UC to open its resources to all ACT public schools would be a more even-handed approach.

Copyright © 2019 Region Group Pty Ltd. All rights reserved.