Unvaccinated kids may be banned from schools during outbreaks

Barcham 21 May 2013 91

ABC News are reporting that the ACT may follow NSW’s lead in considering to allow childcare centres and preschools to excuse children who have not been immunised during outbreaks.

Katy Gallagher is against the idea.

Ms Gallagher says ACT’s chief health officer is looking at better ways to keep non-immunised children at home when cases of whooping cough or measles emerge.

“Part of the next issue could be if there is an outbreak of something, all the unimmunised children get excluded for that period of time,” she said.

“That’s what happened when we had an outbreak of measles at a particular school.

“The children who weren’t immunised were required to stay home until the outbreak had finished.”

91 Responses to Unvaccinated kids may be banned from schools during outbreaks
miz miz 5:09 pm 25 May 13

One of my babies got both measles and chickenpox in the first six months, thanks to the un-immunised children next door (we were living in Sydney at that time). I can tell you I was not impressed, measles in particular was hell – no walks in the sun, watching for encephalitis, etc. I also have an uncle (b 1947) who got polio when he was 3 years old in one of the last epidemics. He survived but has suffered from long term issues since then. Needless to say, all my children are fully immunised.
The one exception being hpv, which is not in the same class as the others (being behaviourally based as opposed to an epidemic that can whip around), so I decided that my girls could make their own decision about that one.
My one worry about the present immunisation regime is that there are now so many extra shots that I wonder how infants’ immune systems cope. It would obviously be better if they could be spaced out more, but then there is the risk (thanks to non-immunised children) of actually catching whooping cough etc.
However, if the mother is breastfeeding and taking Vit D for immune levels, that should help the baby’s immune systems to manage.

AndrewW AndrewW 1:50 pm 25 May 13

Roundhead89 said :

The blame for the drop-off in kids being immunised can be laid at the feet of the “scientists” who helped propagate the climate change hoax. They have so debased the idea of research that people no longer believe in the benefits of things like immunisation because they believe the science is dodgy.

More from the great mind that brought us this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Fy-HAIVB_A

At 2:19 he tries to blame The Simpsons for the rise in gang activity!

Tooks Tooks 1:54 pm 23 May 13

pajs said :

Roundhead89 said :

What a silly thing to say. Your evidence for this statement would be what, exactly?

Alan Jones said it.

pajs pajs 12:31 pm 23 May 13

Roundhead89 said :

Gungahlin Al Gungahlin Al 10:11 am 23 May 13

Roundhead89 said :

You know how Twitter has the “Verified” tick to denote a legitimate account? I wonder if someone can design a Chrome browser add-on so we can have a symbol for “moron” display next to every RiotACT comment by posters like this one, so we can just slide on by without wasting our time reading them? Or maybe an Ebay-style user rating mechanism… #justdreaming

Back to 2UE Roundhead, and be careful you don’t sail off the edge of the Earth on your way.

Thumper Thumper 9:34 am 23 May 13

I’m completely astounded that, in this day an age, people can still have the viewpoint that vaccination is bad.

Have they ever read any history? Are they too young to have known someone with polio? A crippled and withered arm?

Really, it was not that long ago that polio was a serious problem in this country.

Madness….

davo101 davo101 8:50 am 23 May 13

Postalgeek said :

Roundhead89 said :

When you were constructing this theory inside your head, were you holding your breath and squinting the whole time?

No he was reading Miranda Devine or maybe you’re right.

eily eily 8:20 am 23 May 13

pink little birdie said :

Please vaccinate. I find it crazy that the government are having to spend additional money on tv ads and movie ads for vaccination because people aren’t vaccinating.

It should be mandatory for everyone without a medical reason. People who object should have to spend a week “volunteering” in a childrens ward of a polio/other preventable disease hospital in the developing world.

And I bet that they would insist on getting all their jabs before they went.

DrKoresh DrKoresh 11:25 pm 22 May 13

Roundhead89 said :

Here’s a link to a picture that sums up my rebuttal almost perfectly:

I feel the need only to add: you idiot.

Postalgeek Postalgeek 11:11 pm 22 May 13

Roundhead89 said :

maniac maniac 10:12 pm 22 May 13

Why vaccinate? Simple: http://imgur.com/a/pc8QX

Masquara Masquara 9:15 pm 22 May 13

PS I think it would be totally appropriate if the wacko anti-vaccination parents of Canberra (soi-disant anti-Mullies) reaped a collective Mully this month!

steveu steveu 8:00 pm 22 May 13

PigDog said :

The anti-vacc people seem to pick and chose the science they want to believe.
…….

To finish up on my rant, while I don’t think it is great for a child to be punished for the irresponsible, stupid, dangerous and self centred behaviour of their parents, I don’t want there kids near my kids.

The thing with the Internet is, you can do exactly that – find information that will support your point of view no matter what it is.

Peer reviewed papers are almost never mentioned when people make their arguments, and whilst I appreciate that there is a lot of money thrown around by pharmaceutical companies, it doesn’t mean that all medical science is a fraud, and a result of companies wanting to flog off their pills.

I don’t think there are many people around who went to school pre-1950s who would argue against vaccination. That’s because there were a lot more kids at school with polio then than there are now, ie. polio vaccinations demonstrably reduced the incidence of polio in the community since its introduction.

I think we have seen in a certain school in Canberra in recent times, what happens when kids are not immunised.

Masquara Masquara 6:56 pm 22 May 13

Grail said :

Some vaccines are cultured in hen eggs. Which kinda sucks if you’re in a Mexican standoff between your doctor who insists on diving you a measles vaccine, but you’re allergic to egg.

Vaccines can kill, because some doctors still don’t believe in food allergies, or simply fail to read the ingredients list: “contains nuts” it says in bold letters on the bag of peanuts, “cultured in chicken eggs” it says in bold letters on the measles vaccine.

Sure, most vaccines are not cultured in hen eggs, and many of those that used to be are cultured in other ways today. But just because someone refuses to get an immunisation for disease X doesn’t mean they’re some luddite who doesn’t believe that vaccination works.

I expect that a child with a medically documented life-threatening egg allergy could and should be excused from the legislation and attend a school where 99.9 per cent of the kids are vaccinated, as the risk in a generally vaccinated population is minimal. But you get wacko schools in, say, Byron Bay, where half the kids are unvaccinated. And a couple of babies in that area have died of whooping cough. (Their parents are active vaccine advocates now – too late for those kids).

BimboGeek BimboGeek 6:33 pm 22 May 13

Roundhead89 said :

Yes you’re very funny.
Just a reminder that vaccines are not 100% so you might still catch the disease if it is floating around. Yes, hippies, human immune systems are very strong if you are generally healthy. But it’s hard to have a good immune response to a disease that is almost eradicated and it’s even harder if you’re constantly under pressure from the latest super lurgy.

Grail I totally agree with you but if my child was allergic to vaccines I’d rather have her home for 2 weeks during an outbreak than for two months dying. I’d rather see anyone else excluded for the same reason. Obviously forced vaccination is a better option in many ways but we don’t generally force people to take medicines. As a society we value this freedom over health even when it’s a child whose parents are making the bad decision. Maybe our values will change but for now it’s hard to see how to effect this change.

Comic_and_Gamer_Nerd Comic_and_Gamer_Nerd 6:11 pm 22 May 13

Roundhead89 said :

You see, the thing about science is you do not get to pick and choose what’s right and what’s wrong.

Science is science.

Science proves climate change is real and it also is responsible for making the world better via vaccinations.

Only a total halfwit would make the claim you just did. From now on, nothing you ever post can be taken seriously.

threepaws threepaws 5:58 pm 22 May 13

Jivrashia said :

Guys.

I think there seems to be a misunderstanding about the benefits of vaccination.
Of course, it could be me that has misunderstood, but hear me out…

Even if your child is immunised, she/he will catch the odd flu.
But, since the immune system already knows how to respond, the symptom will be light, at worst, and the duration short. This is to the point that you or your children wouldn’t realise that they have been infected.

The real risk is to the un-vaccinated children.
Their symptom, if they catch a flu, will be prolonged and will be more sever compared to those that are immunised.

CHILDREN NOT VACCINATED ARE THE ONES WHO ARE VULNERABLE, and not your children if you have vaccinated them.

I think this is the reason why the authorities want to keep un-vaccinated children away.
For their own protection, as they are vulnerable to the sever symptom of flu.

Your immunised children should be safe from infected un-vaccinated children.

(disclaimer: I am not a medical practitioner)

A few months ago I was struck down with a particularly horrendous case of gastro. I was bedridden and my husband took time off work to care for our 18m old. I was very worried that she too would get sick.

I mentioned this to my Dr when I was able to drag myself there the following day and she said was interesting – she told me it was most likely my daughter had in fact passed on the virus to me from day care. She was most likely infected but thankfully her rota-virus vaccine was doing its job and protecting her from an illness that could could prove fatal to such a small person.

Apparently my husband and I are susceptible to this whole new generation of germs going around that our daughter has been vaccinated against, but at least we are big enough and ugly enough to survive whatever we catch.

Roundhead89 Roundhead89 5:13 pm 22 May 13

Jivrashia Jivrashia 5:00 pm 22 May 13

Guys.

I think there seems to be a misunderstanding about the benefits of vaccination.
Of course, it could be me that has misunderstood, but hear me out…

Even if your child is immunised, she/he will catch the odd flu.

The real risk is to the un-vaccinated children.

For their own protection, as they are vulnerable to the sever symptom of flu.

Your immunised children should be safe from infected un-vaccinated children.

(disclaimer: I am not a medical practitioner)

c_c™ c_c™ 4:56 pm 22 May 13

devils_advocate said :

c_c™ said :

For some vaccines, the immunity wears off naturally, which is the case for DTaP where immunity declines until it is totally worn off within 10 years. (I could enter quite a long discussion here about why I think the DTaP advice in Australia is defective compared to that in the US but would be too long winded).

What about just the cliffs version? Also what is DTaP?

DTaP refers to the the Diphtheria, Tetanus, Whooping Cough (Pertussis) vaccine, and more specifically the newer version that is better tolerated. (Predecessor had the acronym DTwP). They’re just acronyms, you’ll find the products have different brand names like Boostrix.

Anyway, personally, I question why the official advice in the US remains that people should get DTaP boosters every ten years while in Australia, they don’t give that advice anymore. They only recommend boosters for expectant mothers and people working with young children. Particularly interesting since some suggestions are the newer DTaP vaccine isn’t as effective as the old one, so one would think heard immunity would be more important.