Community

Charity and fundraising auctions for the Canberra community

Vanishing Cat Sign.

By Pommy bastard - 2 May 2009 61

On a trip to Cook shops yesterday, I checked as  always do, the “local notice board”. It’s a source of bargains, and not a few lunatic services/ courses /get rich quick schemes. (“Knit your own feng-shui garlic dream-catchers, make $$$$!”).

However one notice was rather astonishing. Unfortunately, I didn’t have my camera with me, so I couldn’t take a shot.

I’ve just been down there with my camera, and a hang-over, but the sign has gone. The polt thickens!!

It was printed on an inkjet printer, properly capitalised and punctuated, (the first things to look for when spotting the…less hinged…posters work). To the best of my memory ability,  it read;

Do you own a cat in Cook?

Then you’d better learn how to keep it in your yard or your house, especially at night.

Otherwise you may not have it at the end of 2009!

Several things about it puzzled me;

a) Is it a threat or an alert?

b) Was it aimed at the whole cat owning community, or an individual?

c) Why the long time scale, why not; “by the end of May!”?

d) Why no phone number, or contact details, for further information?

e) Will there be a new notice at the end of 2009, advertising “genuine cat skin gloves cheap”?

What’s Your opinion?

61 Responses to
Vanishing Cat Sign.
Showing only Website comments
Newest to Oldest
Oldest to Newst
bohemian 9:39 pm 06 May 09

Instead of killing, try calling the pound to come and get the stray cat, dog or whatever pet. If the owner didn’t microchip it, bad luck. If they do, they’ll have to pay (if I’m not wrong) the pound to have the animal released.

andym 2:05 pm 06 May 09

ClownKiller – (#47). What would the weekly hire be on your slug gun? I have numerous pest problems I can see it fixing.

Pommy bastard 11:31 am 05 May 09

I’ve just been interviewed for this afternoons radio show on 2CC Radio. I cannot think why anyone would want to know about my seeing a sign, one which I really haven’t got a clue about.

It may go down in history as the interview which caused several Canberra road accidents, by sending drivers to sleep.

Hank 11:29 am 04 May 09

We have recently got a puppy, and while we are toilet training him we have been opening the door to let him out, on an occasion letting the cat out a few times.

Hank 11:24 am 04 May 09

We have recently got a puppy, and while we are toilet training him we have been opening the door to let him out. On an occasion letting the cat out a few times.

Feathergirl 10:59 am 04 May 09

Kambah pet haters – did you see a the Austrian restaurant Kambah (near Burnes Club) has now turned into a Thai place. They may be accepting cats & dogs to start up with??

Joking aside, my kitty is an inside puss and as old as the hills with bad kidneys but can still catch the mice that are stupid enough to come inside. Keep your cats inside – at least at night, they are all snuggly and good company at the very least. Unfortunately also killing machines for little animals.

justbands 10:54 am 04 May 09

Given my previous comments in regards to cats, I’d better point out that this sign is not of my doing. 🙂

Could act as a bit of a wake-up call for those cat owners in that area who let their cats roam free overnight though.

That’s sad Hank, hope the kitten find its way home soon.

Hank 10:50 am 04 May 09

I live in Cook and our little kitten has just gone missing.

Tuesday 28th of April she never came in for dinner.

If this person has taken our cat we would like her back, as she has a young family looking for her every night, and are quite devastated with her disappearance.

Any help or advice would be great.

peterh 9:35 am 04 May 09

gp said :

It’s the owner of the large brown dog that jumps over my fence and attacks my chooks inside their run that will find their dog rather sick after eating some rat poison. I can’t let my daughters out before I check the yard for this monster of a dog.

Kambah, Sulwood Drive, big brown dog… lock it up or I will be sending it the way of the cats.. The restaurant down the road 🙂

doubt that the sri lankan restaurant wants it. or the spring garden at kambah village.

I have 2 cats, they live in a cat run, and spend most of their lives sleeping. the other 2 hours are complaining about food, and eating.

The Brad 9:03 am 04 May 09

The_Baron said :

WTF, why is Cat crap in sand pits such a recurring theme here?

Seriously, how many people have sand pits!?

People with kids. Kids pick up stuff and put it in their mouth. Kid catches Toxoplasmosis and gets really sick. One of the reasons stray cats make families nervous.

Madame Workalot 8:16 am 04 May 09

gp said :

Have you contacted the owner? Called the Council? Done anything proactive about stopping the dog beyond posting here? No animal deserves to die like that.

Idiot.

caf 10:35 pm 03 May 09

Certainly sounded like you get fun out of it to me.

Fisho 7:06 pm 03 May 09

toriness said :

Q.E.D.

Nope, not even close. I think you are confusing people who destroy problematic vermin with people who torture animals for fun.
There is no difference between exterminating a cat, rabbit, fire ant, fox, european wasp, rodent or any other type of declared pest. Provided it is a quick death.

Clown Killer 6:55 pm 03 May 09

Seriously, how many people have sand pits!?

We have a sand pit. I also have a slug gun. We don’t have any cat poo in our sand pit.

toriness 6:20 pm 03 May 09

Fisho said :

toriness said :

i find cat-haters a really oddball bunch of people, probably sitting somewhere on the serial killer scale.

Cat owners are nothing more than serial-killers-by-proxy. The damage so called ‘domesticated’ cats do is phenomenal. Cats should be caged or killed.

Just spent a very enjoyable weekend fishing, on the way back to base of a night we paddock bashed about and squished a few feral cats and rabbits.

Overall, reminds me of this: http://www.collegehumor.com/picture:131215

Q.E.D.

hetzjagd1 5:57 pm 03 May 09

Fisho said :

What damage are you referring to exactly? Just the killing of birds?

Fisho 3:31 pm 03 May 09

Thumper said :

I’d love to have a quoll.

That or a long necked turtle.

Fisho 3:28 pm 03 May 09

toriness said :

Overall, reminds me of this: http://www.collegehumor.com/picture:131215

The_Baron 3:13 pm 03 May 09

WTF, why is Cat crap in sand pits such a recurring theme here?

Seriously, how many people have sand pits!?

hetzjagd1 2:13 pm 03 May 09

vg said :

hetzjagd1 said :

Cats are outdoor animals and par for the course of suburbia. No sympathy for kid’s sand pits (keep them covered) or poultry here

Put your cat in my kid’s sandpit…..see how long it lasts

I don’t own a cat. Regardless, what are you suggesting would be the consequence?