Community

The ANU College of Law
Australia’s National Law School

Walk Against Warming 2010 beside Questacon

By Conservation Council ACT - 10 August 2010 21

Walk Against Warming is on again! Please put Sunday, August 15 2010 in your diary.

This year the walk will happen six days before the federal election. This will be held in conjunction with the national walk around the country.

Climate Change has been pretty low on the agenda for the pollies and it’s more important than ever that people walk to show their concern about climate change. Last year close to 3,000 Canberrans walked to show their concern about climate change.

“Millions of ordinary Australians are already doing their bit to tackle climate change, and they want to see politicians face up to their responsibility to reduce greenhouse pollution. This election the Walk Against Warming will call on politicians to walk with the people, not the big polluters,” said John Hibberd, Executive Director, Conservation Council ACT Region.

This election, help us put the pressure on our political leaders to:

• Make the big polluters pay by introducing a price on carbon
  • Replace our most polluting power stations with clean energy
  • Create new clean jobs and industries
  • Guarantee to cut pollution over the next term of government
  • Support poor and vulnerable countries to tackle the impacts of climate change and invest in sustainable developmentMake the Big polluters pay

When: Sunday August 15, 2010, 12.30pm
Where: Meet beside Questacon at 12.30pm before walking up to New Parliament House for a 1pm rally
Speakers: Richard Denniss, The Australia Institute and Jeremy Tager, Greenpeace

How you can help:

Walk!
Volunteer
On the Day

We need people to help us with donation buckets, first aid volunteers, marshalls for the walk and mailing list signup collectors.
Please email Susanna from the Conservation Council at: communications@consact.org.au or 6229 3208

For more details including map of walking route, visit: www.consact.org.au/waw

What’s Your opinion?

21 Responses to
Walk Against Warming 2010 beside Questacon
gospeedygo 7:29 pm 11 Aug 10

Thoroughly Smashed said :

gospeedygo said :

rebcart said :

I’d go if I wasn’t in Melbourne that day.

Dear ‘skeptics’ on climate change: if you were REAL skeptics, you’d have examined the evidence, not just swallowed the ridiculous vomit that lobbyists and morons with no understanding of science have been spewing.

I could probably say same the same for the other side. How can one decide on the truth?

Really? Do go on.

I couldn’t actually tell you because I don’t give two shits for either side over something I shouldn’t waste my time getting myself worked up about in the first place. I just wanted to see if someone could actually tell me.

Thoroughly Smashed 6:56 pm 11 Aug 10

gospeedygo said :

rebcart said :

I’d go if I wasn’t in Melbourne that day.

Really? Do go on.

H1NG0 4:29 pm 11 Aug 10

Woody Mann-Caruso said :

I’m sure a few ABC viewers and listeners as well as a motley bunch of uni students

So just informed and educated people, then?

Self-proclaimed educated people

gospeedygo 2:35 pm 11 Aug 10

rebcart said :

I’d go if I wasn’t in Melbourne that day.

Postalgeek 10:21 am 11 Aug 10

Hmm, to listen to people who have spent their working life studying climates, or a ‘sceptic’ who wouldn’t know the business end of a thermometer.

Unless you got something other than an ‘I’m-not-a-sheeple’ attitude, I suspect the comprehension and credibility of the BoM and the senior climatologists at the NCC shits all over yours.

Wraith 10:17 am 11 Aug 10

And of course the solution is here, run cars on Whale Poo, make sure its sperm whale flavoured poo though.