Watt’s the answer

Advertising Feature 28 September 2012 246
watts

My name is Matt Watts and I am a Liberal Candidate for Ginninderra in the October 20 Assembly election.

Regular readers would know me as the first candidate to donate Lego and participate in the RiotACT’s Candidate Lego Challenge (link). You may also have seen me at a shopping centre or at your front door, spreading the word that I’d be an effective local MLA.

I asked the RiotACT team to leave the comments functionality switched on so that we can have an open dialogue. The RiotACT team advised me that they’ll have to moderate anything that’s off-topic, yet I’m happy to answer general questions about my beliefs, background, policies, etc.

If you want the official Canberra Liberals policies, head here. Now – about me:

I was born in Sydney. My mum’s a teacher and my dad was trained as an electrical engineer, starting his career at the Sydney County Council before a couple of moves to now work for Boral. One grandfather was a plumber, and the other grandfather was a manager at Sunbeam back when they made quality products in Australia. I mention this background to enforce that, whilst I am an established public servant, and proud of the service I have performed for the community through my work, I wasn’t spawned within the APS bio-dome.
I joined the Department of Immigration as an APS 1 in 1999, straight after completing my HSC, with a view to supporting my studies via the APS. I commenced a Bachelor of Arts at Sydney Uni in 2000, with which I was mightily unimpressed (and it me, probably), so I soon got over that distraction and stayed with Immigration. I moved to Canberra in 2003.

I was involved in Immigration’s response to the Palmer and Comrie reports and, with my interest in administrative matters piqued, I resumed study and obtained my Master’s in Public Policy (specialising in social policy) from the ANU.

Work has taken me on deployments to remote areas; most recently I spent six months as a director on Christmas Island. I haven’t travelled much, but I enjoy experiencing new environments. My first overseas trip took me to Canberra’s Friendship City, Dili, and I was amazed at certain correlations between our two cities!

I am a Hash House Harrier, both locally and whenever I travel. It keeps me relatively fit and I’ve met people of really diverse backgrounds. I also enjoy reading widely including history, magazines on current affairs and comics, supporting live local music, whisky tasting, walking (which is handy because I’ve never had a driver’s license), reading and TV shows like Doctor Who.

At various levels over the years I’ve been a member of the Belconnen Community Council, the Australian Privacy Foundation, Neighbourhood Watch, the Australian Institute of Administrative Law, the Institute of Public Administration Australia, ACT Light Rail, Music ACT, Friends of the (Australian War) Memorial and Electronic Frontiers Australia. I was even involved in the CPSU at one stage. I’m also a Justice of the Peace. Being involved in my community is important to me.

I’ve been a member of the Liberal Party since I was sixteen because I’ve never liked the nanny state. I ran as a candidate for Ginninderra in 2008 and as Senator Humphries’ running mate in 2010 (I am likely to have been a Senator if I didn’t save Gaz from the path of a speeding van as we were crossing Northbourne Ave!).

I am especially interested in improved local service delivery, planning and infrastructure, liquor licensing, higher quality community consultation and strengthening the quality of public administration within the ACT Government, particularly with regards to unintended consequences. For example, the feel-good plastic bag “ban” has led to more non-biodegradable bag use in landfill and increased litter in our streets; government intervention is rarely a panacea. Government should serve the Canberra community more than it tries to socially engineer it.

If you want to meet me in person, I will be at the October Hall Markets in the afternoon, and I am at the Jamison “Trash and Treasure” every Sunday morning until the election.

Over to you…!

[authorised by stephen doyle – liberal party canberra]

246 Responses to Watt’s the answer
Matt_Watts Matt_Watts 11:12 am 23 Oct 12

Duffbowl said :

Matt_Watts said :

Duffbowl said :

Matt_Watts said :

I’m sure they have some rules… Do you have ready access them? Cheers.

Answered like a true politician: don’t bring me problems, bring me solutions!

Solutions focussed, mate. Happy to look at it.

Effluent of a similar ilk, conveyed in an open-top container that differs from the previous one.

Come on Duffbowl, there’s no need for that. Why can’t a candidate openly say he doesn’t know the detail about a particular policy (in this case, a policy from Melbourne), and ask for more info about it?

Thumper Thumper 11:13 am 23 Oct 12

Frankly I was hoping for some new blood in the assembly, from all political persuasions. I think Matt would have brought a new enthusiasm and ideas, as will some of the new ALP members, whenever we finally get around to working out whom it will be.

FioBla FioBla 11:27 am 23 Oct 12

You might win the Mully Cup.

Duffbowl Duffbowl 11:30 am 23 Oct 12

Matt_Watts said :

Duffbowl said :

Matt_Watts said :

Duffbowl said :

Matt_Watts said :

I’m sure they have some rules… Do you have ready access them? Cheers.

Answered like a true politician: don’t bring me problems, bring me solutions!

Solutions focussed, mate. Happy to look at it.

Fair call, and I’ll wear that one. My cynicism stems from your use of a phrase that was all too familiar when I worked in a certain department.

LSWCHP LSWCHP 11:43 am 23 Oct 12

Good on you Matt. It’s rare (unheard of?) for a political candidate to swim in waters like these, and I admire your courage in doing so. I think you’ve sounded pretty sensible in the views you’ve expressed here.

Better luck next time. 🙂

Matt_Watts Matt_Watts 11:49 am 23 Oct 12

FioBla said :

You might win the Mully Cup.

I think I missed out to Pocock, dammit.

(and a shame the LDP aren’t smashing him)

Matt_Watts Matt_Watts 11:50 am 23 Oct 12

Thumper said :

Counting still continues. Whilst I’m out, I think you’ll be pleased with some of the new blood in both major parties.

Matt_Watts Matt_Watts 11:52 am 23 Oct 12

Duffbowl said :

Matt_Watts said :

Duffbowl said :

Matt_Watts said :

Duffbowl said :

Matt_Watts said :

I’m sure they have some rules… Do you have ready access them? Cheers.

Answered like a true politician: don’t bring me problems, bring me solutions!

Solutions focussed, mate. Happy to look at it.

Understandable… One thing I’ve noticed especially in this forum is that if you say something as a politician, there’s a certain automatic level of cynicism from punters. I’ve made comments here in a personal capacity previously (different name – have had it for years) and the the responses are quite different!

rosscoact rosscoact 1:04 pm 23 Oct 12

Matt,

bad luck, you fought the good fight. My leanings are just left of centre and yours appear to be just right of centre and in conversation we are in agreement more that we are at odds.

I’m sorry you didn’t get a spot, you would make a great MLA I’m sure.

So, what’s next?

Diggety Diggety 1:32 pm 23 Oct 12

Matt_Watts said :

FioBla said :

You might win the Mully Cup.

I think I missed out to Pocock, dammit.

(and a shame the LDP aren’t smashing him)

Matt_Watts Matt_Watts 2:11 pm 23 Oct 12

rosscoact said :

Matt,

I’m sorry you didn’t get a spot, you would make a great MLA I’m sure.

So, what’s next?

Cheers. I’ll be back to work, like a normal person!

DrKoresh DrKoresh 12:30 pm 27 Oct 12

Masquara said :

HenryBG said :

What’s the @$%^#en story? You’re not a denier are you, Matt? It’s a simple enough question, and the answer has been known to science for about 180 years, so what’s your story?

Anyone who uses the term “climate change denier” is no supporter of science.

Get real Masquara, anyone who still claims the evidence for climate change is inconclusive is no supporter of science. They are in denial of the science which makes them deniers, so I’d like to see the “logic” behind your statement.

HenryBG HenryBG 1:37 pm 27 Oct 12

DrKoresh said :

Masquara said :

HenryBG said :

Anyone who uses the term “climate change denier” is no supporter of science.

I would’ve voted Liberal is Watts hadn’t woken me up to the fact that Abbott & Minchin are not exceptions within that Party.

Maybe when the Libs throw out the retards and join the rest of us in the 21st Century I’ll consider voting for them.

There are pretty much only 3 countries outside the ex-soviet world where climate denialism still has any credibility: The USA, Canada, Australia. The rest of the world has moved on. The Tories in the UK have introduced carbon pricing. Scandinavia started implementing carbon pricing almost 30 years ago. Australia has never had much credibility in the global intellectual stakes (some notable exports notwithstanding) and this climate-denialism which is such a feature of Australian society at the moment, being a core belief of one of our two major political parties, makes as look like a bunch of dunces.

Matt_Watts Matt_Watts 9:58 pm 30 Oct 12

HenryBG said :

DrKoresh said :

Masquara said :

HenryBG said :

Anyone who uses the term “climate change denier” is no supporter of science.

Well, I’m sorry you feel that way, as I clearly stated that humans have made a significant impact on climate change.

I don’t think the term climate change denier is useful, though. Climate change has always existed. I would simply like the debate to move beyond the name calling.

If you want to maintain the ideological divide, rather than focus on outcomes, that’s your choice.

HenryBG HenryBG 6:54 am 31 Oct 12

Matt_Watts said :

This would be the ideological divide between those who accept reality and those who believe what they read in The Australian, right?

Tony Abbott himself said, “Climate Change is crap”. A very clear-cut case of denial – the word ‘denial’ being the technical term for somebody who rejects reality and the most apt way to describe his views.

Your views don’t appear much better: “Climate Change has always existed”. What’s that got to do with anything?
When a friend says, “my doctor says I have cancer”, do you give him, “Cancer has always existed”?
How does this red herring “focus on outcomes”?
Answer: it doesn’t. Like anybody with an untenable ideeology, you contradict yourself.

The science (not the ideology) says that a doubling of CO2 will result in around 3 degrees of warming. This is up there with the planet’s previous mass-extinction events.
We’re already 40% of the way to that doubling now.

Matt_Watts Matt_Watts 9:02 am 31 Oct 12

HenryBG said :

Matt_Watts said :

How does this red herring “focus on outcomes”?

We’re already 40% of the way to that doubling now.

He actually said that the debate was absolute crap, if I recall correctly, and the fact I can’t point out a simple fact that climate change has always existed whilst also stating that HUMANS HAVE MADE A SIGNIFICANT IMPACT and still be attacked as a “denier” leads me to suspect he may have been onto something 🙂

thebadtouch thebadtouch 9:18 am 31 Oct 12

Matt, your 15 minutes of fame have passed. Let it go and move on. This thread has become redundant!

bundah bundah 9:44 am 31 Oct 12

thebadtouch said :

Milk it matt,and who knows there could be a cup coming your way!

Thumper Thumper 9:54 am 31 Oct 12

thebadtouch said :

Federal election coming up next year. One of the local libs may jump ship.

maxblues maxblues 12:06 pm 31 Oct 12

thebadtouch said :

If the Greens are forming sub-committees of non-elected peeps to help Ratso do his thinking, then maybe there is yet a role for Matt to play in the political process…like start an inquiry into why so many bottleshops are closing since the introduction of the carbon tax…Candamber has closed its Bunda St shop, Cox Kelly seem to have closed their doors and I hear the bottleshops next to LJ Hooker at Kippax is set to close. The electricity bill for your average bottleshops is around $2000 A MONTH (more in some cases) this in unsustainable and I think we will even see Woolworths close one of its BWS stores at Dickson after Christmas.
Most of us enjoy a cold frothy but if something isn’t done about runaway power prices we will end up drinking hot ales POMMY style…blech!

Region Group Pty Ltd