Lifestyle

Part of the Canberra community
for over 30 years

What’s a good cafe/restaurant operating at this time of year where a group of friends can have breakfast/brunch

By jadie360 - 27 December 2008 46

I have been delegated organiser of a get-together of friends (40ish year old women). I am thinking a really nice breakfast/brunch somewere on the southside or city, preferably outside with a lovely setting.  Any suggestions of places to go would be great.

Oh, and please don’t suggest Silo – I know it’s fantastic and all that but the crowds ………

What’s Your opinion?

46 Responses to
Showing only Website comments
Newest to Oldest
Oldest to Newst
gun street girl 6:49 pm 03 Jan 09

poptop said :

Luke the Scouser said :

just a bite at chifley shops does a nice breakfast but i am not sure if they are open at this time of year

It is always wise to book at A Bite To Eat – they are V popular.

They’re closed at the moment, I think.

poptop 5:45 pm 03 Jan 09

Luke the Scouser said :

It is always wise to book at A Bite To Eat – they are V popular.

If outside and beautiful is a requirement, Hudson’s at the Botanic Gardens is hard to beat – they open at 8:30am every day [except Xmas Day]. I’ve not done their brekky, buth their lunches are nice.

Luke the Scouser 10:46 pm 01 Jan 09

gibson76 10:32 am 31 Dec 08

It’s rare for me to get on a forum and bitch about something, but the sheer rudeness and hostility I encountered at Pod recently from one of their staff prompted me to register here and comment. I would strongly advise against eating there in future.

I consider myself (rightly or wrongly)reasonably well travelled, and I know it’s everyones right to have a bad day, but the older lady who appears to be staff supervisor there gave me so much thinly veiled static last time I was there that I’ll never return.

My 2 cents.

Enthusiastic amateur 2:43 pm 30 Dec 08

Just Quitly (spelling?) Strange name, great food, service ranges form OK to excellent.

And the Hello cafe ant Campbell Shops

the chef there is a friend of a friend and is very passionate about using top produce, he doesn’t give his customers anything he wouldn’t eat himself and the coffee is drinkable (bonus)

che 11:00 am 30 Dec 08

Well the Riot Team were hoping to have a nice lunch out today but just about all the places mentioned above were shut. Bum. Was really looking forward to visiting Zierholz again.

Still they all deserve a good rest and a break from work the same as everybody else.

Am looking forward to trying Podfood, the Piallago Winery and Delissio sometime soon though.

byt2007 3:55 pm 29 Dec 08

The Wine and Cheese Providore in Manuka has been hit and miss — two truly excellent breakfasts, and one fairly rotten. I highly recommend the banana bread however, and the bread (from Croissant D’Or) is excellent. The eggs are super fresh and local, and the local bacon was twice a stand-out, and once a miss.

byt2007 3:50 pm 29 Dec 08

Podfood in Pialligo has been consistently excellent this past year, and the setting is really lovely. For the price, lunch is better value than breakfast, even though they do a fantastic breakfast. A really lovely place to sit and chat for hours. I think bookings are essential though.

Du Jour in New Acton does really great eggs for brekky — three poached come standard, which is really too many, but they are delicious. Good bacon and spinach too. The Big Breakfast is terrific. I would not recommend the pancakes (American style hotcakes) or the fruit bread (TipTop). The service however is some of the most forgetful in Canberra — not maliciously bad like in Verve in Manuka (where they treat you like you’re a real nuisance) — but incredibly slow and vague. No excuse either, as on none of the five occasions I’ve been has the place been full to even half capacity. Go when you have a bit of time to sit and chat and not worry about snappy service — the setting is relaxing. The pastries and tartlets are lovely, and the coffee is fine.

As Nature Intended in New Acton has some of the worst eggs in Canberra — microwaved, I think. The setting also leaves much to be desired — half supermarket, half café. Very crowded and noisy on weekend mornings, and if you’re unlucky enough to be seated at the big communal table in front of the automatic door, it’s highly distracting to have customers streaming in and out behind you.

la mente torbida 12:16 pm 29 Dec 08

Surprised no-one has mention the cafe at the National Library

dorrie 9:46 pm 28 Dec 08

Pizzaz cafe in Kingston is pretty good. The ricotta hotcakes are wicked. Gets very busy but you can’t book a table.

Aubergine 11:39 am 28 Dec 08

Don’t know if it’s open over the hols, but Pork Belly cafe next to The Lobby in Parkes, opposite the front of Old Parly House, has a terrific location with lots of outdoor tables under the trees. Indoor seating too of course. Plus Zierholz on tap! They do brekkies and lunches.

Holden Caulfield 9:39 am 28 Dec 08

I-filed said :

Hyatt Hotel breakfast – exxy but worth it for quality, atmosphere and comfort … you need to book …

I must admit it has been a few years since I’ve had a breakfast at the Promenade, but I can say, the few times I have “dined” there have been some of the most underwhelming culinary experiences I have had.

Bettie said :

As Nature Intended in NewActon is my fave new breakfast spot. http://www.outincanberra.com.au/natureintendedacton

I can second Bettie’s recommendation though. Here is the link to their website proper:

PantsMan 2:32 am 28 Dec 08

ant said :

The chef is some local famous chef-person, apparently.

Love it!

I-filed 12:22 am 28 Dec 08

Ozi 11:43 pm 27 Dec 08

Ona Café (previously Kona Café) in Manuka is great. not a heap of space though, so call up Aaron the manager before you actually show up! 🙂

Bettie 11:30 pm 27 Dec 08

Holden Caulfield 11:13 pm 27 Dec 08

Pod is very good usually. I’ve been there a few times for lunch. It’s not cheap, but as they say, you get what you pay for.

If you’re out that way, I think Rodneys has a cafe too. I’ve never been there though

Axis at the Museum, not exactly southside, but fits your other criteria and is accessible and, I’m guessing, will be open.

If all else fails you could do McHotcakes by Lake Tuggeranong, haha.

MWF 9:21 pm 27 Dec 08

I like the botanic gardens caf., but it is really noisy if you have an inside table.

kaydo 8:44 pm 27 Dec 08

Pesty said :

kaydo said :

Du Jour in new Acton.

crap

@Pesty – got a more insightful comment? I had brunch there in the courtyard last weekend and thought it was great, what did I miss?

Pesty 5:59 pm 27 Dec 08

fabforty said :

I saw this place last weekend and vowed to come back and check it out. I can’t vouch for the food as I haven’t tried it yet, but I have heard others say its good. It is in the Piallago Plant Farm and set in amongst the gardens there. The outside seating is on a lovely leafy verandah. Also the staff were friendly and more than happy for me to poke around and have a look, even though I said I wasn’t dining with them that day.

As well as the nursery, there is an interesting gallery and gift shop.

Please come back with a review no matter where you go. Always interested.

Now that IS friendly!