Enlighten / Night Noodle Markets
Culture and creativity illuminate the capital during Enlighten as the Parliamentary Triangle is transformed into a vibrant hub of activity featuring free entertainment including street artists and musical performances. The festival runs from this evening until 7 March 2015, with architectural projections from 8pm every night.
Contributors Sophia Carlini and Alexandra Craig will be on the ground covering both the Night Noodle Markets and the opening weekend of Enlighten, so follow @the_riotact on Instagram to stay up to date.
- Pretty frocks and pinstriped suits will fill the RUC Turner Bowling Club tonight for the third Old Timey Music Revue (organisers promise concession prices for anyone who brings a grandparent along!).
- Melbourne blues/roots artist Geoff Achison is playing at the Harmonie German Club tonight.
- ARIA award-winning songstress Katie Noonan will perform at the By the Water Concert at the National Museum of Australia as part of Enlighten.
- Long-haired Kiama locals The Vanns perform at Transit Bar on Saturday from 8pm, followed by the godfather of British hip hop, Rodney P, on Sunday from 6pm.
- Walt & Burley hosts Sundays on the Foreshore with live music between 3pm and 6pm every Sunday.
Performing arts, dance and culture
- Featuring dazzling acrobatics, a surreal atmosphere and a pinch of animal fun, there’s a fine line between human and animal, between madness and sanity, between reality and dream. Step over this line and immerse yourself in circus show Beyond, which runs at the Canberra Theatre Centre until 28 February.
- The Miss Ausfrilia beauty pageant, which celebrates diversity, will take place at Belconnen Arts Centre on Saturday from 7pm.
- Canberra Repertory presents The Importance of Being Earnest at Theatre 3 until 7 March.
- Learn to fight like a knight with the Canberra chapter of the Society for Creative Anachronism. Its eight-week Foundations of Combat course commences on Sunday 1 March.
- The Proximity Government and Business Triathlon, which encourages networking between business and government, kicks off at Rond Terrace on Saturday morning.
- Ride with Australian cycling champion Anna Meares during Amy’s Big Canberra Bike Ride, which raises funds for the Amy Gillett Foundation, on Sunday.
Food and wine
- Night Noodle Markets. Enough said.