Wheelchair friendly BBQ areas in the ACT?

purple diva 24 January 2012 25

[ED – Can the hive mind help out Purple Diva on this one?]

25 Responses to Wheelchair friendly BBQ areas in the ACT?
Jungle Jim Jungle Jim 2:25 pm 25 Jan 12

While there may not be a concrete path to the BBQs themselves, Pine Island in Tuggeranong has what I would call wheelchair accessible BBQ areas. There aren’t a lot of tables, but TV trays will do the job for most.

It’s just a slightly bumpy grass ride from the carpark to the BBQs. Lovely spot most of the year and the toilet blocks also (I think?) cater to wheelchair bound folk.

BethiePrice BethiePrice 2:17 pm 25 Jan 12

angrymotorist1 said :

Are you serious? I’m sorry, it’s been a long day, but do you people really expect taxpayers to fund wheelchair access to everything!? How about cooking at home, on the stove? Again, I apologise for the rant but I am just sick and tired of footing the bill for everything under the sun for these people!

WTF…get off your high horse. If you get hit by the karma truck and have to be in a wheelchair don’t come crying to us taxpayers about not footing the bill for wheelchair access for “these” people as you so charmingly put it.
You want to deny children the right to play on playgrounds when they are wheelchair bound? You want to deny humans who have the right to live their lives as people who are not mobility impaired…and you whinge because what? you don’t get benefits or payouts from the government. Get a god damn life. Your excuse for it’s a been a long day is spiteful…next time consider what parents go through who do have wheelchair bound children, or carers for mobility impaired people…or the actual people themselves.
/END RANT

cegee cegee 2:06 pm 25 Jan 12

there is a fairly nice big bbq area in tidbinbilla…. it’s near some of the playground/play equipment area and some of it is under cover…. its a pretty popular spot though so you might need to get there a bit earlier?

from memory its down one of the first right turns off tidbinbilla ring road.

ActuAli ActuAli 1:31 pm 25 Jan 12

angrymotorist1 said :

Dude, are you serious? I am MORE than happy for my taxpayer money to foot the bill for these facilities. Do I use them? No. But if I or someone I care about is unfortunate enough to require a wheelchair, I would be grateful that our community caters for these needs.

Go and crawl back under your rock. Just be grateful that you and yours do not need the use of a wheelchair accessible areas.

Thank you Milkman, though for this gem:

milkman said :

There are hardly any public BBQs where you can fit whole wheelchair on in one go…

PMSL!

ActuAli ActuAli 1:26 pm 25 Jan 12

ActuAli said :

angrymotorist1 said :

Dude, are you serious? I am MORE than happy for my taxpayer money to foot the bill for these facilities. Do I use them? No. But if I, or someone I care about is unfortunate enough to require a wheelchair, I would be grateful that our community caters for these needs.

You effing Moron! Go and crawl back under your rock. Just be grateful that you and yours do not need the use of wheelchair accessible areas.

Thank you Milkman, though for this gem:

milkman said :

PMSL!

ActuAli ActuAli 1:23 pm 25 Jan 12

angrymotorist1 said :

Dude, are you serious? I am MORE than happy for my taxpayer money to foot the bill for these facilities. Do I user them, no. But if I or someone I care about is unfortunate enough to require a wheelchair, I would grateful that our community would cater for our needs.

You effing Moron! Go and crawl back under your rock. Just be grateful the you and yours do not need the use of a wheelchair accessible areas.

Thank you Milkman, though for this gem:

milkman said :

PMSL!

s-s-a s-s-a 9:27 pm 24 Jan 12

The Arboretum is open 2nd Sunday of every month from 10am to 4pm and has a wheelchair-accessible facility with bbq, tables and lookout over the lake in the Himalayan Cedars. You will need to negotiate a longish gravel path from the carpark, however it is suitable grade for wheelchairs. Wheelchair accessible toilet is located near the carpark.

The new bbq area at Casuarina Sands has good access.

milkman milkman 8:21 pm 24 Jan 12

Jethro Jethro 7:37 pm 24 Jan 12

I-filed said :

angrymotorist1 said :

Mully. Surely.

More like a Flame of the Week.

Actually, most likely a troll crawling out from under his non-wheelchair accessible bridge.

Jethro Jethro 7:32 pm 24 Jan 12

aidan said :

John Knight Park is wheelchair friendly and there are some bbqs hiding under the trees here:

+ 1 – it’s a really great spot too. We love having picnics there.

Henry82 Henry82 7:28 pm 24 Jan 12

angrymotorist1 said :

Where did it say OP wanted the government to build wheelchair access to everything? OP wants to know of *existing* places. A lot of the time it’s about putting a ramp into the gutter, not building a huge bridge or something

I-filed I-filed 7:26 pm 24 Jan 12

angrymotorist1 said :

Mully. Surely.

Henry82 Henry82 7:22 pm 24 Jan 12

check the cotter dam project, i know they have wheelchair accessible lookouts, so i would assume their bbq areas are accessible too. (double check though)

angrymotorist1 angrymotorist1 6:40 pm 24 Jan 12

aidan aidan 4:40 pm 24 Jan 12

sepi said :

Lots of ideas above.
I don’t know if any of those will actually have a concrete path up to the bbq though.

the yerrabi ponds bbqs at gugahlin lake are very close to the carpark and under cover on a concrete slab – could be good. There are concrete paths around the park too – kids on bikes love it.

Duh! Of course, should have thought of those. Also has a wheelchair accessible toilet right there.

Good call sepi.

sepi sepi 4:16 pm 24 Jan 12

Lots of ideas above.

dpm dpm 3:02 pm 24 Jan 12

From the top of my head, the big Kambah adventure playground area and Black Mtn peninsula for starters. Even the small playground now at Weston oval has pathways, no steps and an electronic BBQ. Also, now that I think of it, there is a BBQ at the Brindabella crit track….
Maybe check park details here:
I doubt many would have steps etc?

dvaey dvaey 3:00 pm 24 Jan 12

There is are some BBQs by the lake in Tuggeranong on Mortimer Lewis Drive, about half way between the dog park and the sea scouts. There is parking closeby and flat ground to access the nearby BBQ areas. I guess it also depends what you mean by ‘wheelchair friendly’.. ie, do you mean a smooth paved surface from carpark to the BBQ area, or simply somewhere without steps etc?

aidan aidan 2:54 pm 24 Jan 12

Holden Caulfield Holden Caulfield 2:47 pm 24 Jan 12

Hmm, not 100% sure this will be okay, but I think it should be suitable.

Park on the city side of Anzac Park West (enter from Constitution Ave). Take the underpass beneath Parkes Way and I think there is a BBQ near by in Commonwealth Park. IIRC it’s close to the Floriade text on Google Maps.