It has been brought to my attention that the readers of the RiotACT tend to fall in the over 35 age bracket rather than the under 35.
I thought it fitting to add in some advice for those over 35 that are a bit over the Mooseheads and Shooters scene of Canberra but are still wanting to meet someone new.
1. Meetups – I take it that if you’re reading this you’re slightly more tech saavy and willing to try meeting people through a virtual connection that then moves to in-person. Online meetups are a great way to find people who are like minded and meet in a group setting with absolutely no pressure.
2. Pubs – No I don’t mean a nightclub, I mean a pub. These places exist and can be a great way to meet people. The music (usually) isn’t too loud and after a few drinks most people are fairly sociable.
The ones I recommend are: The Duxton and PJ O’Reilleys.
3. Friends – I have a friend who met someone through mutual friends. The person she met organised a BBQ and asked his friends to come along and also bring a single friend. First BBQ and he managed to hit it off with someone and they’ve now been married 10 years. Can’t hurt to try!?
4. Events – Keep an eye out on events around town that you think may attract the type of person you’re looking for. This can range from concerts to food festivals to anything. Always con a friend into going along with you and they can act as your wingman if you see any potential suitors. This stems from several couples I know that met their partners at varying concerts and the multicultural festival. Put yourself out there!
5. Be friendly – By being friendly you don’t know what doors that may open up. Talk to your local coffee maker, grocer, neighbour etc. You don’t know whose interest you may spark just by saying hello and striking up a regular conversation could lead to a happy ending.. the romantic kind.
For those that are reading this and met their partner after 35, give us the heads up in the comments on how you met!