Community

Building inclusive
connected communities

Why no cider Canberra Stadium?

Barcham 26 April 2013 28

Rioter John hit us with his concerns regarding Canberra Stadium’s baffling lack of available cider:

I have been trying on and off for over 3 years (since late 2010) to get Canberra stadium to answer a simple question: do they have any plans to offer cider, like almost every other stadium in Australia?

Emails, tweets, even letters have been to not answered. So, I was wondering if you guys wouldn’t mind dropping them a line and asking them why they aren’t tapping into the fastest growing segment of the booze market in Australia.

Alrighty Canberra Stadium, what’s the story?

28 Responses to Why no cider Canberra Stadium?
Pork Hunt Pork Hunt 2:48 pm 28 Apr 13

Diggety said :

I wonder how well cider goes in a Camelbak flask?

Take a real camel and milk it at the game.

Diggety Diggety 10:10 am 28 Apr 13

I wonder how well cider goes in a Camelbak flask?

poetix poetix 11:17 pm 27 Apr 13

‘Why no cider Canberra Stadium?’
Have you never heard of the off-cider rule?

notdingers notdingers 8:30 pm 27 Apr 13

I worked a season in the bars at Canberra Stadium and the selection of drinks available is largely determined by sponsorship arrangements.

We would have different beer depending on the type of game being played.

SupaSal SupaSal 10:46 pm 26 Apr 13

I don’t drink beer and this their wines taste like crap, Not paying $10 (or whatever) for a vodka, so i take a hip flask, bottle of mixer and my Bailey’s in my hot chocolate/coffee and walk on in, Never been checked or even been asked!

knuckles knuckles 7:28 pm 26 Apr 13

Duffbowl said :

Solidarity said :

Borderline at best. Our group has learned to content itself with drinking decent adult beverages on our way to/from games, and consuming the swill available inside the stadium only when necessary. Less hip pocket pain as well.

Duff, I’ve taken homewbrew in PET bottles into Brumbies games. When security checked it at the entrance they didn’t have a problem as it was in plastic bottles.

Heavs Heavs 7:00 pm 26 Apr 13

troutfisher said :

Although it’s sometimes hard to come by I have a real preference for the Dicken Cider

Also my cider of preference although harder and harder to come by.

JimCharles JimCharles 6:39 pm 26 Apr 13

bigfeet said :

dixyland said :

Also why don’t they have .. mead…It’s a travesty!

They really should have comely wenches serving tankards of mead at Raiders games..

The marketing just sells itself.

I’m surprised you don’t have much local scrumpy cider round here and push this fizzy imported stuff, though I’ll try some Henry’s when i see it.

bigfeet bigfeet 6:19 pm 26 Apr 13

dixyland said :

Also why don’t they have .. mead…It’s a travesty!

The marketing just sells itself.

troutfisher troutfisher 6:14 pm 26 Apr 13

damien haas damien haas 5:48 pm 26 Apr 13

The best cider is ‘Henrys of harcourt’. made from apples, not apple juice concentrate. They do Perry as well.

MERC600 MERC600 5:12 pm 26 Apr 13

See if they can knock up a HarveyWallbanger as well.. I’m gettin a little long in the tooth and have still to try one.
Seem to just remember in the 80’s the Lakeside used to sell them on Friday nights at the disco thing.

gospeedygo gospeedygo 5:10 pm 26 Apr 13

Solidarity said :

I guess not enough women attend sporting matches to make it viable

I think you’re confusing ‘Cider’ with ‘Rekorderlig’. Easy mistake.

Duffbowl Duffbowl 4:14 pm 26 Apr 13

Solidarity said :

I guess not enough women attend sporting matches to make it viable

At a rough count at the Canberra Craft Beer and Cider Festival, I’d say as many males were drinking cider as females, with the majority of female attendees drinking beer.

Hdopler said :

Duffbowl said :

Given the crap they sell as beer, John would be lucky to get a Strongbow or 5 Seeds at a premium price.

That’d still be an improvement on the beer and wine they currently offer!

dixyland dixyland 3:31 pm 26 Apr 13

Also why don’t they have fruity cocktails, mead, Jager Bombs and Vodka/RedBulls? It’s a travesty!

Hdopler Hdopler 2:34 pm 26 Apr 13

Duffbowl said :

That’d still be an improvement on the beer and wine they currently offer!

Hdopler Hdopler 2:27 pm 26 Apr 13

I’ve wondered this as well, given that there are tons of men who don’t want to drink wine and aren’t so bogan as to want to drink crap beer. So what gives Canberra stadium?

poetix poetix 2:23 pm 26 Apr 13

Solidarity said :

I guess not enough women attend sporting matches to make it viable

I never touch cider and I quite like some sport. I’m just a failure at this gender thing….

Duffbowl Duffbowl 12:46 pm 26 Apr 13

Solidarity Solidarity 12:36 pm 26 Apr 13

I guess not enough women attend sporting matches to make it viable

Copyright © 2019 Region Group Pty Ltd. All rights reserved.