News

Fly direct from
Canberra to New Zealand

Why not cover teeth?

By johnboy - 2 May 2012 65

The Greens are asking some sensible questions as to why teeth are excluded from publicly funded healthcare, and trying to get support for a fix up here in Canberra.

“It doesn’t make much sense that teeth should be excluded from the rest of the human body when it comes to healthcare,” Greens Health spokesperson, Amanda Bresnan MLA, said.

“Low income earners are the hardest hit by the high cost of dental care, and this leads to major health problems.

“44% of respondents to the last ACT General Health Survey reported to have delayed using a dentist because they couldn’t afford it. This results in an unnecessary burden on the health system. 7-10% of GP visits are due untreated dental problems.

“If we do not start improving our preventative health measures, like regular dental check-ups, the cost of our health system will continue to skyrocket.

“Today the ACT is being presented with an opportunity to be the first jurisdiction to vote in favour of the Commonwealth Government funding Denticare.

“I’m calling on the other parties to listen to the community and support Denticare. The Assembly should make it clear to the Federal Government that this is a health priority for the people of Canberra,” Ms Bresnan said.

(Cue a bunch of vindictive arseholes huffing and puffing that they worked hard for their dental care and anyone who didn’t work as hard, or get as lucky, should live in pain and die young. Oh and let’s not forget the moral pygmies shouting “I’m allright jack, screw the rest of you”.)

What’s Your opinion?

65 Responses to
Why not cover teeth?
Showing only Website comments
Newest to Oldest
Oldest to Newst
matt31221 6:52 pm 02 May 12

Alderney said :

matt31221 said :

Alderney said :

Why do I have to pay for someone’s inability to brush their teeth and their desitre to eat s*** food until their teeth rot?

I know this argument could be extented to wider health issues such as, why should I pay for your inability to exercise and desire to eat s*** food until you’re the size of a house with all the health complications that go along with that, but teeth are bloody expensive and supply and demand will say more people making appointments at the dentist means longer waiting times and higher prices.

Unless that is only certain dentists will provide services to the great unwashed (sorry, lower North Shore of Sydney and Eastern Suburbs private school boy superiority complex coming out there).

JB did warn the reader about d***heads like you. Just because you brush your teeth and eat healthy food doesn’t mean you’re not going to get dental problems and vice versa. Genetics is a factor in it as well.

Fortunately for me then I lucked in. I went through an 18 year career as an A-Grade Rugby League player and 5 years in the kickboxing ring without losing a tooth. This is because I spent hundred’s of dollars on good mouthguards, not the crap you buy at a chemist.

I also don’t have a filling at 43 years of age. I have however had gum problems that I paid to remedy and pay attention regarding my dental health.

My wife also, at nearly 40, does not have any fillings.

You however obviously lucked out and have some sense of entitlement that others owe you for your poor dietery decisions and/or breading.

I can also resort to debate without lowering myself to terms of abuse, but if you’d like me to kick your teeth in so you can get your free treatment it should only take me a minute, or two if you know how to fight.

I have good teeth and look after them well also but what the heck is ‘breading’? I also have a few years of muay thai training. You seen quite confident in your ability but being quite a few years younger that you, I dare say I have the advantage and it is you that will require the dental work my friend. Perhaps we might be evenly matched who knows – I certainly won’t back down from you.

I really wonder if you learnt your ‘kickboxing’ in a boxfit class though, because if you had some proficiency in it you would realize that violence doesn’t solve first world problems and you would naturally avoid fighting. It sounds like you love to throw your weight around.

So tough guy, sure I over-reacted with the dick**** thing but some people eat really healthy and look after their teeth – but still have a lot of dental problems. Some of those people may have low paying jobs and cannot afford dental work. It was really heartless of you to say what you did – that is why I reacted strongly. I will gladly pay tax to subsidize dental work for people who cannot afford it.

bigfeet 6:34 pm 02 May 12

I read an article recently which quoted the American Dentists Association (or like) which noted that there seems, over the last 30 years, to be a general increase dental disease in more affluent countries.

One of the things that they put it down to was the use of bottled or filtered water, which is defeating the fluroidated water supply. Mind you, this was just one of the reasons given.

It got me thinking, I grew up in a non-flouridated city yet Mum made all us kids take a flouride supplement tablet every morning.

Neither me nor any of my siblings (all in our 40’s) have any fillings at all.

Back on topic – My opinion is that two general preventative visits (check ups and clean) should be free twice a year and everything else should be subsidised or fully covered (subject to a means test) under Medicare or a similar scheme.

Jim Jones 5:55 pm 02 May 12

Diggety said :

No, people just need to wean themselves off their mum’s tit and take some personal responsibility.

So we should axe medicare and let everyone fend for themselves then?

After all, poor people are only poor because of lack of personal responsibility. And rich people are only rich because of their awesome personal responsibility skills!!!

HenryBG 5:53 pm 02 May 12

Diggety said :

That’s not an evidence-based response.

The appalling american system of healthcare is ample demonstration that healthcare is unsuited to a market-based system and the British NHS demonstrates that socialised medicine is the cheapest (at half the cost of the american system) and most effective way of delivering healthcare, even if you don’t care about the vastly superior social justice impact of the latter.

There is no reason to separate dental care from other forms of healthcare.

poetix 5:50 pm 02 May 12

Diggety said :

Which is a tad ironic if they were raised on Coke (I have seen toddlers having this poured into baby bottles) and crappy food and already had dental problems as a child. Hardly their fault for having the wrong parents.

Diggety 5:27 pm 02 May 12

HenryBG 4:44 pm 02 May 12

Alderney said :

So at what age did you grow up and get a real job?

HenryBG 4:42 pm 02 May 12

Jim Jones said :

HenryBG said :

Thumper said :

I’ve helped on Greens’ stalls collecting petition signatures supporting this initiative and can say that almost everyone I spoke with signed up. It has almost universal support.

I’m at a loss to see how anyone could be against this proposal.

The public being overwhelmingly against junkies doesn’t stop junkies from doing what they do.

A bit like the pokies: the public is overwhelmingly against them, but the pollies for some reason refuse to do anything about them.

If the public is overwhelmingly against them, why won’t it just stop putting money into the evil things?

Jim Jones 4:31 pm 02 May 12

Alderney said :

matt31221 said :

Alderney said :

My wife also, at nearly 40, does not have any fillings.

I was a top SAS gunman and superfighting all-star for 20 straight years. I won all the medals offered by the Australian Armed Forces and then they made a special one just for me because of outstanding awesomeness and even once I beat a whole huge gang of terrorists just with a pocket-knife.

I’ve also got numerous degrees in the field of rocket-surgery and once I flew a megarocket to the outer rings of Saturn and collected samples that conclusively proved that aliens exist and are totally kick-ass but the government hushed it up because they knew that everyone would freak out and also on the way home I totally blew up an asteroid that was heading for Earth and would have killed everyone but they never told anyone because I didn’t want all the attention.

I’ve also done male modelling but had to quit because seeing pictures of me would have turned lots of hot girls boyfriends gay and I already get hassled enough by hot girls who want to kiss me and I’m too busy being on the cutting edge of ninja training and hanging out secretly with celebrities.

I don’t brush my teeth. I don’t need to. Having to brush teeth is a type of weakness to me. I laugh at people who have to brush their teeth – they need to be tougher and harder and then they stand a small chance of defeating their bodily weaknesses live I have.

Jim Jones 4:23 pm 02 May 12

Alderney said :

matt31221 said :

Alderney said :

My wife also, at nearly 40, does not have any fillings.

Oooh. Looks like the jury’s decision is in:

Vindictive asshole with a strong dash of moral pygmy and a big side serve of internet tough-guy!

chewy14 4:14 pm 02 May 12

Alderney said :

poor dietery decisions and/or breading.

My poor dietary decisions usually involve breading…and then deep frying.

Alderney 4:08 pm 02 May 12

matt31221 said :

Alderney said :

My wife also, at nearly 40, does not have any fillings.

astrojax 4:08 pm 02 May 12

ooh, provocative. ok, i’ll bite…

Jim Jones 4:06 pm 02 May 12

matt31221 said :

Alderney said :

Yeah, but is he a moral pygmy or a vindictive asshole? That’s what I wanna know.

matt31221 3:44 pm 02 May 12

Alderney said :

Little_Green_Bag 3:28 pm 02 May 12

sarahsarah said :

Dental care IS expensive – having just recently had braces I can certainly testify to this! Surely basic check-ups every year should be covered at least?

Having the Greens suggest something that isn’t monumentally stupid is a shock to the senses.

The Hawke and Keating governments in the 1980s and early ’90s had the Commonwealth Dental Scheme which provided free dental care for low income earners and welfare recipients. I had major work done over several visits during 1989.

When John Howard came to office he abolished it saying it was a state responsibility. A few cash-strapped state governments brought in Claytons schemes with expensive co-payments and long waiting lists. Some didn’t even bother.

The last time I went to the Phillip Health Centre for an emergency (in 2006) I was told that I would have to make a booking four weeks ahead (yes, for an emergency) and that I would have to pay. I didn’t make a booking and went home in pain. I phoned a private dentist and was told that I would have to pay over $400.00, money I could not afford. I haven’t been to the dentist since.

Jim Jones 2:43 pm 02 May 12

HenryBG said :

Thumper said :

I’m at a loss to see how anyone could be against this proposal.

Jim Jones 2:37 pm 02 May 12

veronicamars said :

Because there is a clear link between dental health and general health.

Ramsess II, the greatest, most celebrated, and most powerful pharaoh of the Egyptian Empire, who lived well into his 90s, and was said to have sired almost 100 children, died of poor dental hygiene.

HenryBG 2:37 pm 02 May 12

Thumper said :

I’m at a loss to see how anyone could be against this proposal.

poetix 2:28 pm 02 May 12

Really bad teeth are probably one of the major indicators that a person is from a lower socio-economic group (along with smoking, perhaps?). It is unfair that people can’t afford to have dental care and it must be socially limiting as well as having all sorts of health effects. I wonder where they’d draw the line on funding under this proposal? I can’t help but notice that at my daughter’s school, in some year groups, most of the girls seem to be wearing braces, for (eventual) cosmetic reasons, I assume. The other day I saw a boy with teeth that *really* stuck out and it was difficult not to look at them; will some cosmetic dentistry/orthodontic services be covered?

There are some ACT Government dental services already for children and pensioners, and Medicare does cover certain chronic problems to a limited degree: