Will you be wed on St Valentine’s Day – February 14, 2010?

Michele the Celebrant 5 January 2010 27

Just a quick post to let you know that if you wish to marry on St Valentine’s Day this year – which happens to be a Sunday – you must lodge your Notice of Intended Marriage with your celebrant by next Wednesday, January 13.

Please note here that the ACT Registrar of Births, Deaths and Marriages no longer has a celebrant service. You must find a private civil celebrant or a religious celebrant to officiate for you.

My congratulations and best wishes to you both

27 Responses to Will you be wed on St Valentine’s Day – February 14, 2010?
Skidbladnir Skidbladnir 10:22 am 08 Jan 10

sloppery said :

Why would you get married Valentines’s Day? How about having your own day instead of a crappy hallmark holiday?

Appreciate your Ancient History, not the current cultural spin.
Its far older than you think.

Lupercalia (February 13 or 14, the Ides of February, where naked priests and politicians ran through the streets whipping young girls and women with blooded goatskins, apparently giving them a divine blessing of fertility) and the Februa (The ritual purification occuring on that day, where February derives its name).
Both were of the “Traditions so old nobody remembers quite why we do it” variety even in the days Roman Republic (way up there with celebrating Quirinalia), but was in decline throughout the Roman Empire, when Pope Gelasius I re-spun it into a Christian church feast day, noting both that it was previously about purity and female fertility, while at the same time naming it as a feast day “in honour of those whose names men remember, but nobody can say exactly what they did that was memorable”.

bd84 bd84 8:31 pm 07 Jan 10

Grail said :

Coming to an Australian town near you: Arranged Marriages, courtesy of the Internet 😛

At least go out on a date, just so the rest of us can live our misspent youths vicariously through the two of you.

Knowing each other’s real name isn’t a condition of marriage is it?? lol

bd84 bd84 8:28 pm 07 Jan 10

Snarky said :

sloppery said :

Mrs Snarky and I got married on Valentine’s Day. Her idea, not mine – any date was fine with me.

It does have one tremendous advantage – you’ll never forget your anniversary’s coming up with every media outlet in the country honking it at you months in advance! Plenty of advance warning to get a decent gift and/or evening out. Pays for itself in no time!

🙂

Only problem is that the flowers you buy her will cost 4 times more than it would on most other days of the year.

Snarky Snarky 5:50 pm 07 Jan 10

sloppery said :

🙂

Grail Grail 2:07 pm 07 Jan 10

motleychick motleychick 1:19 pm 07 Jan 10

Well in this age of technology you’d think that there would be someone who does that. Hmmm an online relationship must be so much easier than a normal one.

bd84 bd84 1:10 pm 07 Jan 10

motleychick said :

bd84 said :

motleychick said :

bd84 said :

Thanks for reminding me, now I have exactly 8 days to find a girl to marry. Anyone know any cute single girls <30 years?

Hahah +1, but I need to find a dude.

Free on February 14? hahaha

Hahahaha surprisingly yes. Haha.

I wonder if Michele the Celebrant does online ceremonies for people who met on the RiotACT the week before the deadline.. lol

motleychick motleychick 10:27 am 07 Jan 10

bd84 said :

motleychick said :

bd84 said :

Hahah +1, but I need to find a dude.

Free on February 14? hahaha

Hahahaha surprisingly yes. Haha.

ahappychappy ahappychappy 10:22 am 07 Jan 10

Can I be best man?

sloppery sloppery 9:43 am 07 Jan 10

misshelly said :

omg you two should totally hook up!

Can we watch?

Holden Caulfield Holden Caulfield 11:45 pm 06 Jan 10

bd84 and motleychick sitting in a tree k.i.s.s.i.n.g!

misshelly misshelly 9:50 pm 06 Jan 10

omg you two should totally hook up!

bd84 bd84 9:16 pm 06 Jan 10

motleychick said :

bd84 said :

Hahah +1, but I need to find a dude.

Free on February 14? hahaha

busgirl busgirl 9:14 pm 06 Jan 10

…what’s the Valentines Day equivalent of ‘bah humbug’?!!

motleychick motleychick 10:46 am 06 Jan 10

bd84 said :

Hahah +1, but I need to find a dude.

sloppery sloppery 10:02 am 06 Jan 10

Michele the Celebrant Michele the Celebrant 1:04 am 06 Jan 10

Thanks toriness, I do need to give more information.

If you want to have your wedding on Valentine’s day, and it’s according to the Civil Partnerships Act and not the Marriage Act, you’ve got till Tuesday February 9 to give your Notice of Intention to Enter into a Civil Partnership to the Registrar-General.

The Deputy Registrar-General conducts commitment ceremonies, so you have a choice about finding a government or private civil partnership notary.

Although I’ve conducted commitment ceremonies before the Civil Partnerships Act came into effect, I’m not a registered notary so I can only post blogs as a celebrant at this stage. Of course, any couple wishing to have a commitment ceremony or vow renewal ceremony on Valentine’s Day with no legal component can simply do so on the day.

Sorry I can’t help bd84. There’s always Valentine’s 2011 – better luck next time!

Bosworth Bosworth 11:58 pm 05 Jan 10

I once got married.

Good times.

bd84 bd84 10:35 pm 05 Jan 10

toriness toriness 10:22 pm 05 Jan 10

what about civil partnerships, michelle the celebrant?

Region Group Pty Ltd