Woden the Manhattan of the south?

johnboy 4 November 2010 35

The Canberra Times reports on plans by the Hindmarsh Group to build 35 storey residential towers in Woden.

There are, of course, plans for electric cars, and Sydney’s Oxford Street too!

Developer Hindmarsh and the Land Development Agency unveiled yesterday a vision for electric cars and tower communities of up to 5000 people in the town centre.

The Hindmarsh-LDA’s Woden Green will dwarf its nearest neighbour Sky Plaza, while on the town centre’s western side car parks and old buildings will be redeveloped into a streetscape resembling Sydney’s Oxford Street.

Best of luck to them.

35 Responses to Woden the Manhattan of the south?
Masquara Masquara 2:54 pm 06 Oct 12

georgesgenitals said :

A load of fanciful BS. I seriously doubt it will happen.

Apologies for reviving an old post – but you were right. According to the Crimes, it has been canned.

Serenace1 Serenace1 10:47 pm 18 Nov 10

I miss Canberra. I think I ll even move back there. One day.

historyofmodernity historyofmodernity 7:38 pm 18 Nov 10

Bit late, but their not built yet. The high density buildings are a good idea for Canberra. But I also think the concerns raised above about the affordability, liveability and sustainability of such apartments are a real concern. The Gov needs to show how they are going to get these results.

While it won’t happen overnight, building high density into the towncentres should allow some tangible benefits. Moving more people into the towncentres should assist in increasing public transport use, open up houses in surrounding suburbs to hopefully halt the increasing landspace that suburbia is using.

I also would like to hear more about how 9 stories is good, but any more is not eco friendly? I still don’t think this question was answered.

Pork Hunt Pork Hunt 5:50 pm 05 Nov 10

I build elevators for a living. Bring it on…

georgesgenitals georgesgenitals 1:42 pm 05 Nov 10

Holden Caulfield said :

Buzz2600 said :

Skyplaza already looks like decrepit public housing. Now they want to build a bigger one??

They don’t really care what it looks like, or how it will age; socially as well as physically. They care just enough to prepare a marketing spiel and, of course, they care that it sells. Once.

Absolutely.

I doubt ACTPLA and whoever else the developer has gotten to could seriously endorse this. Surely they have learnt from the eyesore that is Sky Plaza, which looked like a throwback to high density government flats of the 60’s even when new.

I actually thought the earlier planning for Woden Green wasn’t too bad – a few commercial buildings of 11 or so stories and apartments in the 3-6 story range, spread down across that whole eastern side of Woden. At the end of the day, people should WANT to live there, not do so simply because it’s the only available property.

I-filed I-filed 12:58 pm 05 Nov 10

arescarti42 said :

I-filed said :

An explanation would be nice. As far as I’m aware apartment buildings are more land, energy and water efficient than any other sort of housing.

Yes – lower-rise apartment buildings of 7 storeys (which is pretty high for Canberra) are the most efficient according to an environmental planner who is informing the ACT Government (so they know all about it. One wonders where the hell the Greens are on this)

Aubergine Aubergine 12:25 pm 05 Nov 10

It’s staggering how well that Wikipedia photo of Cabrini Green lines up with the CT artist’s impression of Woden Green http://www.canberratimes.com.au/multimedia/images/full/985248.jpg. Well spotted!
Having said that, I support the densification of housing near town centres. This plan looks promising. I hope they take into account the floodability of the stormwater channel running meters away from the towers and their presumably massive underground/underwater parking.
The “Oxford Street” plan is actually for the west side of the town centre (Woden Green is on the east side). It would replace the surface carparks outside the current (soon to be flattened) Alexander and Albemarle Buidings and the Tradies Club with more stuff (apartments).
Has anyone noticed the other tower plan for Woden, replacing the Post Office building next to Lovett Tower with a 20 storey apartment block? See http://203.9.249.2/e-registers/pubnote/pdf/COMPSTREET-201017864-S144B-East-01.pdf
If Woden’s Oxford Street runs north from here it’ll end right opposite Hush. Perfect!

arescarti42 arescarti42 9:47 am 05 Nov 10

I-filed said :

GardeningGirl GardeningGirl 11:54 pm 04 Nov 10

They can try to sell it as “sustainable” all they want but regardless of the marketing I can’t help seeing more “decrepit public housing” Skyplaza style sardine cans, with the quality issues we’ve been hearing of around Canberra, designed for maximum profitability for the developer. Would be nice to be proven wrong because although it doesn’t appeal to me personally I do believe medium and high density can be done well and suit some people.

clp clp 11:16 pm 04 Nov 10

I think Woden is crying it for more apartment development – but you need to cluster multistorey buildings and not have them in isolation

I-filed I-filed 10:35 pm 04 Nov 10

This is showing up the Canberra 2030 “consultation” – supposedly all about the government pushing for a sustainable city – for the utter cr*p it is. High-rise apartments are NEVER eco-friendly. NO ecologically sustainable developments go over 9 stories. Ever. Ask any sustainability town planner. No government concerned with a sustainable, amenable Canberra is going to partner with a development of this kind.

Instant Mash Instant Mash 7:13 pm 04 Nov 10

I don’t see this happening. (At least not in the moderately-near future.)

gospeedygo gospeedygo 4:04 pm 04 Nov 10

Druggies have to go somewhere I guess…..

arescarti42 arescarti42 3:30 pm 04 Nov 10

Having never been to Sydney’s Oxford street, I did a google images search and the following was the first result.

I do like the idea of densification around the city and town centres, but I sure as hell wouldn’t pay $400k for an off the plan apartment given the sort of quality you can expect in this town.

In fact I can’t imagine why anyone would willingly pay that sort of money, but at least people have the option.

Holden Caulfield Holden Caulfield 2:25 pm 04 Nov 10