Woden Wake?

thy_dungeonman 26 February 2011 47

So I was riding through Woden interchange on my way to the bus and I noticed a whole lot of teenagers hanging around on the steps playing music and such, pretty standard occurrence “don’t these people have anywhere better to gather” I thought, as usual.

But then I noticed there were a whole lot for candles and flowers in front of a graffiti covered wall (that has timetables on the other side) and it appeared to be some kind of “memorial service” for lack of a better term.

Although Woden interchange has a lot of assaults they surely were not killed there, so they may have just graffitied that wall or perhaps (like their friends) spent a lot of time hanging out at the interchange.

I assume it wasn’t Mully since they weren’t gathered at the toilet door and the only thing I was able to read on the wall going past was “Micheal Alexander” but that may have been the name of a well-wisher or another inspired artist.

Whoever it was I would hope that I don’t spend enough time at the Woden interchange to warrant my wake being held there.

47 Responses to Woden Wake?
1 2 3 Next »
thy_dungeonman thy_dungeonman 5:57 pm 01 Mar 11

dazzab said :

I’m wondering why you didn’t ask your questions of the people there? We are all strange creatures as teens but I find them very interesting to talk to. I bet if you had spoken with them they would have loved to have someone listen. Missed opportunity.

I had a bus to catch.

Mr Evil Mr Evil 8:54 pm 28 Feb 11

buzz819 said :

Mr Evil said :

So, if you’re grieving, it’s acceptable to deface public property?

That chalk… Terrible stuff that is… Maybe you should go down to your local pre-school and stop the kiddie’s writing on the side walk…

Doesn’t look like chalk on the wall in the Canberra Times image.

imissyou imissyou 7:34 pm 28 Feb 11

Could you be anymore disrespectful?! These kids just lost just their brother! As for all their names starting with ‘M’ that has absolutely nothing to do with so why the f*** do you even care, their parents chose those names for a reason and also posting the link to Maddison’s profile how much more low can you get, seriously grow the f*** up and stop being so insensitive. Hundreds of people lost him not only as a friend but as a brother, nephew, grandson, son and cousin. How about you take a long hard look in the mirror and think about how you would feel if this had happened to you.

dazzab dazzab 9:06 am 28 Feb 11

The Traineediplomat The Traineediplomat 6:38 am 28 Feb 11

Tragic loss of life yes,

But the four kids in the family are named Mitchell, Michael, Maddison and Meg? GRRR *head desk*….almost as bad as the Palins

Punter Punter 12:39 am 28 Feb 11

The simple answer is there are generally no appropriate or innapropriate places to hold wakes, particularly in this age. People who have lost someone they care for or respect, will greive for them in their own way and often some others (mostly outsiders) will question the manner in which these ‘memorials’ are conducted. However people choose to grieve for the loss of someone they care for, it is important they greive for them. We have national holidays to remember lives lost for one reason or another, there should be no obstacle in the way anyone honours their ‘mate’ if it is genuine as George # 14 points out.

That said, I do understand the topic of “roadside memorials” may rise from this thread (which I will maintain is a seperate issue) but please, don’t give that spanker “mully” a life after death here. He doesn’t deserve it.

georgesgenitals georgesgenitals 10:52 pm 27 Feb 11

These ‘events’ are really nothing more than an opportunity for some good old fashioned teen drama. Many teens (including myself many years ago) lose friends their own age for a variety of reasons. Dealing with it is part of growing up.

Getting together for a wake is one thing – making a big public spectacle another.

buzz819 buzz819 8:40 pm 27 Feb 11

Mr Evil said :

So, if you’re grieving, it’s acceptable to deface public property?

Mr Evil Mr Evil 8:01 pm 27 Feb 11

So, if you’re grieving, it’s acceptable to deface public property?

thy_dungeonman thy_dungeonman 3:48 pm 26 Feb 11

Fiona said :

Good set of ads there, Facebook…

http://littlelioness.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/michaelalexander.png :\

There’s 365 things to in Canberra?

thy_dungeonman thy_dungeonman 2:27 pm 26 Feb 11

As for teenagers hanging around the bus interchange the main reason I don’t understand is because it’s simply an unpleasant place to be. When I was teen we just had picnics, lots and lots of picnics.

But I guess I was a little harsh in my judgment, as soon as I saw the graffiti and “memorial” paraphernalia I assumed it another Mully type incident because of the stereotypes I have in my mind, but I can see that this an actual tragic incident. As for my bike no Lycra or basket but I do have panniers.

Davo111 Davo111 1:52 pm 26 Feb 11

thy_dungeonman said :

call me old fashioned but it does seem a strange place for one

Totally agree, i dont think alot of young people understand how funerals/wakes work. Particularly creating “shrines” out of used/unused beer bottles & woodstock cans.

cegee cegee 1:39 pm 26 Feb 11

i think this points to an interesting issue:, where in society do we have space for teenagers? adults can go to pubs and clubs, young children have day care or are with their parents, but for teenagers… where do they go? they want to spend time with friends instead of family, but they dont have the money to go to restaurants or cafes or the movies all the time. teenagers are constantly being moved on! youth centres aren’t for everyone and dont have the resources for everyone, not all kids like skateboarding…. when teenagers go to parks or playgrounds people get pissed off at them for loitering….

so. i guess. a bus interchange is somewhere teens can hang out without mummy & daddy hovering over them, they can bump into each other and meet new people, they don’t have to spend money….

either way. terrible stuff, about this kid. so sad.

trevar trevar 12:39 pm 26 Feb 11

Why should any place be inappropriate for a wake? Surely the location for any kind of memorial observance should be chosen based on the person being remembered and mourned, and the particular group of mourners.

Anyone who thinks that there are particular places that are appropriate and others that aren’t is just a traditionalist.

buzz819 buzz819 12:13 pm 26 Feb 11

thy_dungeonman said :

If they want to hold a wake at a bus interchange fine i’ll ride by and judge, call me old fashioned but it does seem a strange place for one

I’m not calling you old fashioned, just saying people deal with things differently.

They were probably judging you as you went past, cranky old man, waving his walking stick while he is riding past in his lycra on a bike with panniers on the sides and a basket with a flower on the front.

So I guess it’s fair, but maybe you should let them deal with their friends death how they see fit, they can’t go to a club or pub and have a wake or anything like that, this is how they did it.

Fiona Fiona 12:08 pm 26 Feb 11
thy_dungeonman thy_dungeonman 12:06 pm 26 Feb 11

buzz819 buzz819 10:57 am 26 Feb 11

Umm given the time of it, I’m guessing it was most probably the young fella who drowned at Pine Island, but you’re right to judge, they do things differently to you, so they must have something wrong with them.

1 2 3 Next »

Copyright © 2019 Region Group Pty Ltd. All rights reserved.