Women abused at Summernats

Jazz 7 January 2008 79

It should come as no surprise to Canberran’s that at this time of year we get a few articles in the various media outlets about the Summernats. Invariably it starts with Chic Henry espousing how this year will be different and its a safe family friendly event which, I’m sure it is, during the day perhaps.

But a few beers later and we also inevitably get the following. In this article from yesterday’s the Canberra Times, reader Jessieduck noted the following corker.

Mr Henry said he had not had to face any major security complaints.
“I haven’t had any reports of any incidents of any significance. My security manager is very happy,” he said. “I spoke to him late last night and he said everything was moving along very smoothly, no accidents that I’ve heard about.
“We took one unfortunate man to the hospital because he had a problem with his heart, but he is back at the event today, smiling.
“Essentially, it is all about cars that are driving on the street and so the people that come here recognise that. It isn’t a race meeting, it is a festival.”

Tool unearthed this story on News.com which quoted summernats spokesman Dale Britten with some nicely scripted responses.

“In relation to comments such as asking women to remove their shirts, regrettably this does occur at this event,” he said.

“It highlights the need for Summernats organisers to continue to improve the environment at Summernats so it is a tolerant and respectful environment.”

“Alcohol was a factor”.

“It is a new phenomenon; we have never had that happen at the event before,”

And this is different to the past 20 years how? For those readers who went to the Nats, Does this match with your experience of the event or are the media blowing things out of proportion by taking small isolated incidents and making the Nats out to be the bad guy?

79 Responses to Women abused at Summernats
Holden Caulfield Holden Caulfield 1:35 pm 07 Jan 08

“Can the hybrids drop a burnout?”

No. Idiots and cretins probably don’t drive hybrids. 😉

bighead bighead 2:40 pm 07 Jan 08

Qbn Survivor. I also went along yesterday. Spent quite a lot of time loving some of those old cars. The burnouts got old rather quickly. Apart from that the Soundoff was fairly enjoyable. I noticed quite a bit of Security, and 3 Police cars out the front when I left around 3pm. I didn’t have any issues with anything yesterday.

Deadmandrinking Deadmandrinking 2:40 pm 07 Jan 08

Openly admitting that the summernats is not a family event probably indicates that this kind of behavior has given it the reputation it needs to stay true to what it is – a hoon fest. It’s not bad; the hoon culture represents a sizable proportion of Australian culture, so why not have a festival for it?

Holden Caulfield Holden Caulfield 3:23 pm 07 Jan 08

Big Zed has his say…

Holden Caulfield Holden Caulfield 3:24 pm 07 Jan 08

Haha, well, that worked well, I tried to post the URL and article title, but failed miserably, so, please copy and paste the following…

I’ll happily accept remedial lessons if anyone cares to oblige.

Thumper Thumper 3:26 pm 07 Jan 08

I’m surprised that Simon even realised it was on….

Skidbladnir Skidbladnir 3:36 pm 07 Jan 08

As I don’t know if this will work until I try it:

<a href = "Site you want to link to">Text you want to be the link</a%gt;
Should give the result
ABC Online Article “Summernats troublemakers should be banned: Seselja”

Doctor Evil Doctor Evil 4:55 pm 07 Jan 08

Wonder what would happen if they banned alchohol altogether at the Nats?

There would probably be a group of about ten blokes standing on the side of the road saying “excuse me madam, if it’s not too much trouble could we possibly see your breasts? No? Ok, no worries”.

Hidiho Hidiho 5:24 pm 07 Jan 08

I was there for the 4 days but what surprised me was on friday(Family day)there was a white limo doing the rounds with a female doing a full frontal from the passengers window for at least 3laps, I am presuming that this was some form of advertising for a strip revue. I only went for a few hours on Saturday but I did notice that some of the “women” who were passengers were actually encoraging the crowd gatherer’s in order to show their wares. Sunday for what I saw was fairly quiet.

Deadmandrinking Deadmandrinking 5:42 pm 07 Jan 08

Lol@Doctor Evil.

I do agree with the suggestion of giving repeat troublemakers lifetime bans. Does anyone know how well that worked with the Rugby? I paid about as much attention to the bulldogs fans fiasco as I did to the actual game.

Deadmandrinking Deadmandrinking 5:43 pm 07 Jan 08

Wtf is wrong with this thing? No link, no! Goddammit! It’s ‘laughing out loud at Doctor Evil’

mikey mikey 7:14 pm 07 Jan 08

Chic Henry’s “this is a family-friendly event” reminds me of the Iraqi Information Minister during the Iraq War: “There are no Americans in Baghdad …”

Just call a spade a spade. Summernats is a booze and testosterone-fuelled event for guys who like cars and chicks who like to flash the guys. Stop pretending otherwise. Although admitting such probably makes it a little bit difficult for the ‘progressive’ Stanhope government to justify public spending on it.

And like others have noted in their posts, much of the leering and jeering I saw on the weekend was being actively encouraged by some, no doubt promoting that other (legal) industry in Canberra we prefer not to talk about too much.

mikey mikey 7:20 pm 07 Jan 08

p.s. how do you rev-heads afford petrol these days anyhow? How many tanks would a Summernats entrant go through during a weekend of cruising and burn-outs?

Thumper Thumper 7:25 pm 07 Jan 08

Dr Evil, you truly are, hehe..

I agree with Mikeys’s spade is a spade.

Hang on, chic Henry is lying about it on ABC news.

His lips are moving.

Stanhope’s hypocracy is astounding over this event.

NickD NickD 7:32 pm 07 Jan 08

This kind of stuff gets reported after every Summernats. Maybe if the public subsidies are removed the organisers will get serious about controlling crowd behaviour…

Thumper Thumper 7:37 pm 07 Jan 08

Not a bad point….

VicePope VicePope 8:03 pm 07 Jan 08

The limited reportage and uncontrolled film (ie, not PR) that I have seen suggests that Summernats is to families as Japan is to whales. Since the thing started, there has been outrage over some appallingly sexist behaviour – I don’t know a woman with any self-esteem who would choose to be there. And whoever said any subsidy should be pulled is dead right – Summernats may put some bucks in some cash registers, but so would selling heroin. (Note to special Ed – this does not mean that I am equating Summernats with drug dealing – it means that making money is not the sole test of whether something should be done. Would you like that in fewer syllables?).

el ......VNBerlinaV8 el ......VNBerlinaV8 8:06 pm 07 Jan 08

Loving the ad hom attacks against Special G VicePope. Really.

VicePope VicePope 8:21 pm 07 Jan 08

Berlina etc – Special Ed hit first, and before I said anything – in fact, before I started reading this thread. That’s a cheap shot.

Given Special Ed’s proclivity for misconstruing anything in front of him, I felt I needed to make the offer to explain it in a way he might understand if he became confused. It was an act of kindness.

VicePope VicePope 8:23 pm 07 Jan 08

Berlina etc – I meant the thread on crime in Watson.

Region Group Pty Ltd