Your chance to have a say on eight new parks

johnboy 20 May 2009 31

Chief Minister Stanhope is inviting consultation on 8 new parks planned for discarded school sites in Macarthur, Rivett, Mt Neighbour, Cook, Melrose, Weston, Holt and Village Creek.

“We have listened to the community’s views and developed draft plans that reflect the preference for open space to be retained at these sites. The draft plans include play equipment for children, barbecues, new plantings, paths, seating, lighting and open space.

“Feedback from the community will inform the final design for the parks. Construction is expected to commence in September and be completed later this year.

There’s more detail to be found on the TAMS Site.

Comments need to be in by 26 June.

31 Responses to Your chance to have a say on eight new parks
taninaus taninaus 3:47 pm 20 May 09

Pommy bastard said :

The oval at Cook should be preserved for sports use.

Which oval are you talking about – the proper sports oval with the small building with the toilets etc across the footpath – that isn’t the primary school anyway and the consultations last year said it was excluded. The school grounds are only up to the wooden barriers. Why do you need a second open space where the kids used to play when there is already a sports oval next door?

justbands justbands 3:39 pm 20 May 09

> Why do we need so much space for sports use? Sport is a waste of time and energy.

Geez…I dunno, promoting health & fitness? Teamwork? Personal development? IT’S FUN?

Nobody said you had to participate.

trevar trevar 3:35 pm 20 May 09

Pommy bastard said :

The oval at Cook should be preserved for sports use.

Why do we need so much space for sports use? Sport is a waste of time and energy. If you’ve got energy to burn, go do some work! Maybe you could clean up the parks!

Seriously, though, as much as I hate sport, it’s great to see parkland being preserved, even if they do leave the trees out.

Monomania, can you tell us where the pomegranates are? I’ve never seen a pomegranate tree that I knew was a pomegranate tree (and I am very partial to the odd pomegranate).

peterh peterh 3:17 pm 20 May 09

johnboy said :

Hands off Haig Park!!

It’s meant to be a wind break anyway.

wasn’t it in the original burley griffin design?

and anyway, there are heaps of seating areas there, if you don’t mind sharing with random people…

justbands justbands 3:09 pm 20 May 09

> Hands off Haig Park!!

Why johnboy? I agree with Grrr…Haig Park as it is now is ugly & pretty much useless.

johnboy johnboy 2:57 pm 20 May 09

Hands off Haig Park!!

It’s meant to be a wind break anyway.

Grrrr Grrrr 2:55 pm 20 May 09

How about a bit of money towards re-doing the turd that is Haig Park? It’s ugly by day and a menace at night.

Getting rid of 80% of the rows-of-Pine-Trees and replacing them with a combination of open spaces, seating and native trees would be a good start.

Jim Jones Jim Jones 2:46 pm 20 May 09

Pommy bastard said :

The oval at Cook should be preserved for sports use.

I’d like to see as many of them possible preserved for sports use (and general running around like an idiot).

VYBerlinaV8_the_one_they_all_copy VYBerlinaV8_the_one_they_all_copy 2:44 pm 20 May 09

I say we lay one absolutely beautiful piece of lawn, then build a 30 foot bronze statue of Stanhope with his ‘angry eyes’ on and arm outstretched with finger pointing, with the words “SHUT THE FCK UP” engraved on the base.

Pommy bastard Pommy bastard 2:25 pm 20 May 09

The oval at Cook should be preserved for sports use.

monomania monomania 2:08 pm 20 May 09

miz said :

I am having trouble viewing some of the plans . . . ?

Some of the schools have no plan at the present time and what has been presented was one of the options from the initial community consultation.

peterh said :

I agree thumper, they could have filled these sites with apartments, low income housing, or any number of options to the detriment of the surrounding suburb.

at least an open space allows the community to use these facilities and have less concrete jungles.

These community parks are a but a small fraction of the former school sites that will be sold off for in some cases aged care, assisted living etc. I’m not against this. One can only hope (probably in vain) that the developments that occur are sensitive and designed to reduce the significant community amenity that is being lost not simply to maximise the return to the developer.

I’m having my say because I don’t like some of the plantings. One firm of landscape architects that don’t deserve the publicity did the 4 Weston Creek and Tuggers sites. Their brief was to include a few fruit trees. For all sites they picked olives, apricots and pomegranates. I can’t see too many edible apricots coming off these trees. I doubt that they will be cared for and be a source of pests and diseases to suburban growers. The plant listings were very similar on each site.

mred mred 1:09 pm 20 May 09

poptop — “I think the “concrete jungles” of Kambah, Macarthur, Rivett, Cook, Melrose, Weston and Holt can do with with a lot more urban infill.”

If by that you mean planning approval of higher density housing in already residentially developed areas, then I agree, but not if you mean turning open green spaces into buildings. We should protect these spaces before there are none left.

miz miz 12:58 pm 20 May 09

I am having trouble viewing some of the plans . . . ?

Mr Evil Mr Evil 12:37 pm 20 May 09

Are these parks going to be full of public art?

poptop poptop 12:08 pm 20 May 09

How about planting one of these new parks in Green Square?

peterh peterh 11:14 am 20 May 09

S4anta said :

The south side is a dogs park.

not all of it.

S4anta S4anta 11:08 am 20 May 09

The south side is a dogs park.

burkes08 burkes08 10:22 am 20 May 09

A dog park on the south side would be nice.

peterh peterh 10:18 am 20 May 09

Thumper Thumper 10:04 am 20 May 09

An absolutely fantastic idea.

Copyright © 2019 Region Group Pty Ltd. All rights reserved.