
The man, aged in his 50s, applied for bail in the ACT Magistrates Court on Monday. Photo: Michelle Kroll.
CONTENT WARNING: This article refers to alleged family violence.
A long-term public servant with the federal government has been handed 55 charges for the alleged abuse he inflicted on his ex-partner and their three children over a decade.
It is alleged the man repeatedly hit his then-partner and the children in their faces and heads, threatened to kill or hurt them on multiple occasions, neglected two of the children and even forced one of the children to eat mouldy food.
This is said to have occurred over nine years, when one of the children was a teenager and the others were under 10, before the last alleged threat against the ex-partner took place in 2022.
“If you call the cops, they better make sure I never get out of jail or I will kill you,” he allegedly told her.
She and the children went to the police between 2023 and 2025 before the man, who is in his 50s but isn’t named to protect his family members’ identities, was arrested on Saturday (29 March).
He faced the ACT Magistrates Court on Monday (31 March) and applied for bail, which was opposed by the prosecution.
The man’s lawyer, Alana Clarke from Legal Aid, said the allegations were “significantly dated” while her client, who was “a well-respected public servant”, hadn’t had any contact with his ex-partner or the children since 2022.
“He wants nothing to do with the complainants,” she said.
Ms Clarke also said there was no explanation of why there was a delay in bringing such charges, despite some allegations being reported several years ago.
The prosecutor alleged there had been “sustained and regular patterns of violence within that home” and the violence the man inflicted against his family members was “indiscriminate”.
“There has been a long history of serious physical violence and serious threats made against these people,” she alleged.
Magistrate Jane Campbell said the alleged offending was “clearly indicative of a high level of control and coercion”.
She said that as text messages, photos and audio recordings had been given to police regarding the allegations, while other people had apparently seen the injuries to the four complainants, the prosecution case against the man currently appeared to be strong.
The magistrate also said the four complainants lived in “extreme fear”, which did not surprise her given the allegations.
Magistrate Campbell noted the last alleged threat from 2022, in which the man was said to have threatened to kill his ex-partner if she went to the police.
“She has now gone to police,” she said.
She refused bail and adjourned the matter to April.
The man tried to interrupt the magistrate twice while she was giving the reasons for her decision, including after she raised the alleged threat from 2022.
“Okay, I just had something relevant to add to that,” he said after she told him not to interrupt her.
His charges include 34 counts of assault, six counts of threatening to kill, four counts of possessing an offensive weapon, three counts of threatening to inflict grievous bodily harm, two counts of neglecting a child and one count of committing an act endangering health. No pleas were entered.
If this story has raised any concerns for you, 1800RESPECT, the national 24-hour sexual assault, family and domestic violence counselling line, can be contacted on 1800 737 732. Help and support are also available through the Canberra Rape Crisis Centre on 02 6247 2525, the Domestic Violence Crisis Service ACT 02 6280 0900, the Sexual Violence Legal Services on 6257 4377 and Lifeline on 13 11 14. In an emergency, call Triple Zero.
It is hard to pay bill when the government stopped their funding and arrested all accounts. You must… View