The ACT Redistribution Committee has today announced its proposed redistribution of the ACT into five electorates.
Currently the ACT has three electorates:
- The electorate of Molonglo elects seven members of the Legislative Assembly and encompasses the town centres of North Canberra, South Canberra, Weston Creek, and parts of the ACT to the north and east of Canberra.
- The electorate of Ginninderra elects five members of the Legislative Assembly and encompasses the suburbs of Belconnen and the suburb of Nicholls.
- The electorate of Brindabella elects five members of the Legislative Assembly and encompasses the suburbs of Tuggeranong, Chifley, Pearce and Torrens, and all of the ACT which is south of the Murrumbidgee River.
The Redistribution Committee has proposed that the 5 electorates for the ACT Legislative Assembly be as follows:
- Brindabella, comprising the district of Tuggeranong (excluding the suburb of Kambah) and the districts of Booth, Cotter River, Paddys River, Rendezvous Creek, Tennent and Mount Clear.
- Ginninderra, comprising the district of Belconnen (excluding the suburbs of Evatt, Giralang, Kaleen, Lawson and McKellar).
- Kurrajong, comprising the districts of Canberra Central, Jerrabomberra, Kowen and Majura.
- Murrumbidgee, comprising the districts of Molonglo Valley, Weston Creek, Woden Valley, Coree and Stromlo, and the Tuggeranong suburb of Kambah;
- Yerrabi, comprising the districts of Gungahlin and Hall, and the Belconnen suburbs of Evatt, Giralang, Kaleen, Lawson and McKellar.
Weekly NewsletterEvery Thursday afternoon, we package up the most-read and trending RiotACT stories of the past seven days and deliver straight to your inbox..
Simon Corbell, Jeremy Hanson, Giulia Jones, Vicky Dunne, Alastair Coe, are among the ACT politicians that will be displaced from living in their electorates if the proposed changes go ahead.
Members of the public are invited to make objections to the redistribution with the ACT Electoral Commission by no later than 28 April 2015.
Objections should be lodged at:
ACT Electoral Commission
Ground Floor, North building, Civic Square
Canberra ACT 2601
Postal Address: PO Box 272, CIVIC SQUARE ACT 2608