Ask RiotACT: Recommendations for a tradie

Nilanthi Wilson 20 April 2018 3

Ask RiotACtradesperson

Hi Rioters.

I have an ugly arch in my living room. I would like to have it removed but unsure what type of tradesperson I should get.

Could someone please advise as to whether I need to get a builder or can some other tradesperson do a job like this.

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance

What's Your Opinion?

Please login to post your comments, or connect with
3 Responses to Ask RiotACT: Recommendations for a tradie
Denis Mydoorsdeal Denis Mydoorsdeal 10:59 am 11 Jul 18

Hi there
To answer your question about the transformation of your arch into a door, like for an opening of a wall to make a doorway, the first question is to know if the wall is bearing. It is most of the time easy to see for a professional door installer.
If the wall is not structural you don’t need a licence builder to make the transformation. You might need on the other hand an electrician if there is a switch or a wire to move off the way.
If the the wall is bearing then you’ll have to consider the coast of a builder and an engineer. This doesn’t mean that you don’t need a professional doorman to install the door and jamb properly ones the lintel has been installed by the builder.

Roger Booth Roger Booth 2:17 pm 24 Apr 18

Hi Rioters
I’m looking for a tiler in Canberra to tile my living room, kitchen and laundry, including under tile heating.
Any recommendations for a good quality job? prepared to pay a little more for the quality

ChrisinTurner ChrisinTurner 1:23 pm 22 Apr 18

Essential that you first find out if the arch is structural. Get a qualified builder or structural engineer to inspect.

CBR Tweets

Sign up to our newsletter

Region Group Pty Ltd

Search across the site