Planning your next night out with your friends? Maybe dinner and drinks aren’t quite enough to mark the occasion, or you just want to try something a little different this time around – so why not get a group together and hit up one of Canberra’s best karaoke bars?
Karaoke is an awesome activity for anyone looking to have a fun and memorable night with their friends. From brand new tunes to old classics furnished with drinks and food, spending a few hours at a great karaoke bar is a guaranteed way to make sure everyone enjoys the night.
If you’re looking for a recommendation for the best karaoke bars in Canberra, you’ve come to the right place – in this article, we’ll tell you a bit about what makes an awesome karaoke bar, as well as a helpful guide to some of the best venues in town.
What makes a great karaoke bar?
If you’re planning a karaoke night with your friends, here are a few things to consider when choosing a venue:
- Great selection of music. No one’s going to enjoy themselves at karaoke if none of you know the tunes on deck – a great karaoke bar will have a repertoire of old classics to new hits alike, so everyone can have a go on the mic and enjoy themselves.
- Food and drink. If you’re making a night of it, you’ll want to have food and drinks during your time in the karaoke room. A great venue will provide snacks and drinks (both alcoholic and non-alcoholic), or at least allow BYO.
- Good sized rooms. Karaoke is always fun with a large group of people, so a great karaoke bar should be able to cater to this, whether there are five or even fifteen of you.
- Clean and functional equipment. The night won’t go well if the karaoke equipment doesn’t work! A great venue will take pride in its appearance and tech, ensuring a fun and safe night for everyone.
- Affordable rates. Karaoke bars tend to price their rooms by the hour, so make sure you’re going to a venue where you and your friends can spend as much time as you want without paying an arm and a leg!
The best karaoke bars in Canberra
RiotACT’s editorial team has combed through 20 years of on-site comments to compile a list of the most recommended businesses according to you.
To be listed in our Best of Canberra series, each business needs to have consistently received positive feedback on RiotACT and Facebook as well as maintaining a minimum average of 4/5 stars on Google.
It’s now time to reveal the top karaoke bars in Canberra, according to the locals.
Beatles Coin Karaoke is a fun and affordable option for smaller groups looking to do some karaoke. With booths available for up to 4 people and rooms for as many as 10, at Beatles you can pay by the hour and sing your hearts out for as long as you like. No bookings are needed here, and they offer BYO and beverages.
Mika Ichinose writes in their Google review, “Best karaoke I’ve been to! Cheap and the owners are very friendly and generous! Highly recommend.”
Open 365 days of the year, Hey Show Karaoke is the newest establishment on the scene. With 12 themed rooms, 200,000+ songs, and rooms large enough for up to 30 people, Hey Show is a great choice for large parties, whatever the occasion! Drinks, snacks and food are available, and you can even book and customise your own private room with professional decorations.
As Google reviewer Angelina Lin writes, “Fun spot to hangout with friends in the city, the themed rooms are cool the food and drinks were great and overall a great karaoke! Would definitely recommend for parties and hanging out with mates!”
Among Kingpin’s extensive range of games and activities are their private karaoke rooms. Kingpin updates their playlists monthly, and you have the ability to order food and drink to the room anytime – no need to get up! Plus, you can restrict the available songs for any children present.
As Facebook user Boyd Kuru writes in this review, “Had an awesome time fun place. Very friendly staff would highly recommend to all my friends.”
88mph brings a touch of the 80s to Canberra’s nightlife scene, and in addition to their light-up dancefloor and themed cocktails, their main draw is the karaoke. Decked out with comfy benches, top quality sound systems and full table service, plus a song selection of all the greatest hits of the 80s, 88mph is an awesome choice for your next night at karaoke.
Tayla McMillan wrote about their experience in this Google review, “So much fun! We had our own karaoke room for a work event and we had the best time! The drinks are well priced, music selection is great and the staff are super friendly and helpful. Will definitely be back!”
Your experience with karaoke bars in Canberra
Thanks to our commenters who have provided insightful feedback, if you believe we have got it wrong, please let us know.
Have you been to any of the karaoke venues listed above? Have you got a favourite? Share your thoughts and feedback below.