When I was growing up, most houses in my waterside suburb on the Central Coast got into Christmas lights – whether it be one or two strings across their guttering, or a full blown lights show where there was so much going on you didn’t know where to look. I’ve noticed that Canberrans don’t really get into the spirit. It could be a Canberra thing or perhaps it’s just that people are busier now and work longer hours than they did 15 years ago and simply don’t have the time to deck out their home in Christmas memorabilia.
I was determined to find some sparkly Christmas joy in the Capital, so I went in search of the best Christmas lights displays. I attempted to go to as many suburbs as I could on both the North and South Sides:
1. 9 Werriwa Crescent, Isabella Plains This home had lots of inflatable Santas, Snowmen and Reindeer as well as plenty of colour. It was the first home I came across and I wasn’t disappointed!
2. 2 Sassafras Place, Isabella Plains Just around the corner from the home above, this house went all out – they even have their lounge room windows opened and you can see a Christmas wonderland inside.
3. 21 McKinley Circuit, Calwell This home features an inflatable Santa driving an inflatable blue car, as well as a heap of light displays up on the roof. Not sure about the Australian Flag light though…
4. Burns Circuit, Mackellar I forgot to get the house number but you can’t miss it. It’s awesome. Has a huge nativity scene (complete with smiling cows and sheep), a bunch of light up Christmas trees, and a stack of fairy lights. Definitely one to check out.
5. Murrung Crescent, Ngunnawal Another one that I forgot to grab the number of, but again – you can’t miss it. An inflatable carousel and an inflatable Ferris Wheel, as well as a digital Christmas countdown! Pretty cool. This home has a donation box for the Newborn Intensive Care Unit (hospital not specified).
7. 17 Bottrill Street, Bonython A mega rainbow Christmas tree on top of the house, and a singing and dancing Santa Claus in the front yard. What more could you want?! Hilariously, the house across the road has one little string of lights up and an illuminated arrow in their yard pointing across saying ‘Ditto’. Number 17 also has a donation box for the Starlight Foundation.
8. 7 & 9 Huddy Street, Forde A combined effort from two brand new homes up on a hill. The highlight – A blue and silver waterfall light display.
9. 6 & 8 Helen Leonard Crescent, Forde Forde is big on double acts and this one is super colourful!
10. 12 Colton Place, Downer There’s not a space on this home that isn’t filled with lights. Even the entire roof is lined, as well as having Santa escaping out a chimney, and a big green Christmas tree.
One house I saw a few weeks ago in Gordon had a giant inflatable Santa, easily 10 metres tall, plus a bazillion lights. The homeowner also informed us that as it gets closer to Christmas, they’ll have a projector up on the wall playing Christmas movies, as well as a stack of beanbags to perch on. Definitely one the kids would love. (I failed to get the address of this one, all I remember is that it was the house on the corner, on the top of a hill – can anyone fill in the blanks?)
Unfortunately not yet being able to master time travel prevented me from seeing every house in every suburb. Please include your suggestions for must-see lights displays in the comments.