Canberra’s favourite fashion event, FASHFEST, is drawing ever closer, with opening night less than 60 sleeps away. But it’s not just our fashion talent that will be on show; the capital’s best musical maestros are also gearing up for a stellar performance.
The 2016 musical lineup will boast:
- More musicians than ever — 25 in total, with DJs and live musical acts.
- 14 musical acts that have never appeared at FASHFEST.
- More female artists than ever — 6 compared to 2 in 2015.
- An all-retro vinyl set by DJ Degg.
- Nico Lupo from London, who has played across five continents, and will be performing in his first major Canberra show.
- A sister DJ duo, DJ Dimple and Lipgloss, who will play their very own ‘Soul Sisters’ set.
- A three-piece band, led by Canberra-based soul, funk and RnB musician Simon Anua.
- An extended play single launched by Mondecreen, a live high-energy performance with bass-driven sound.
- An extended play single launched by internationally renowned rapper Ta-kun-da.
Opening the first show on 29 September is Ta-kun-da, a Canberra-based hip hop artist who’s popularity has skyrocketed over the past year since his first performance at FASHFEST in 2015.
“It’s heart-warming”, Ta-kun-da says of the announcement. “It’s a big honour. Last year just getting FASHFEST was amazing, I hadn’t really done anything before that, so this year to be headlining, that’s so much progress. FASHFEST is a great platform for musicians because fashion and music are synonymous, they just go hand in hand.”
Clint Hutchinson, CEO and Co-Founder of FASHFEST whole-heartedly agrees, saying, “Music is so important to FASHFEST. Just like the fashion itself, the sounds of FASHFEST are truly memorable. It not only brings the fashion designer collections to life on the catwalk, it adds an extra element to the guest experience. Guests love that there’s not just predictable piped-in music at FASHFEST. They’ve always been thrilled and surprised with the live musicians and funky DJs. It’s like getting a fashion show and a music show all in one go.”
For artists like Ta-kun-da, FASHFEST is a way to get your name out there and get the exposure you need to build a career in music.
Ashley Feraude, FASHFEST Director of Music, says FASHFEST is a major chance for musical talent to shine in front of hundreds of people.
“It’s real energy for them. Real experience. Real kick. It’s great because they all bring their own sense of style to the show. And some musical acts that have amazed audiences at FASHFEST have climbed to great heights, like Safia and Coda Conduct.”
And the proof is in the pudding. Riding off the success of last year’s FASHFEST performance, Ta-kun-da now regularly performs at music venues in both Canberra and Sydney, and has recently launched his new single “Sex so good”, with a slick video clip to match. It was filmed in the QT hotel, using Canberra-based talent. Check it out here.
Will you be going to FASHFEST in 2016? Which musical artist are you most excited to see?