Guns drawn in late-1980s to bring dangerous Goulburn drug dealer to justice

John Thistleton 15 July 2021 18
Matt Casey looking out window

Matt Casey reflects on the 1989 arrest of Patrick Hudd, who was selling commercial quantities of heroin in Goulburn. Photo: Supplied.

Of all the NSW criminals of his generation, Crookwell-born Patrick Hudd was one of the most devious and dangerous.

In the 1980s, heroin addicts were lining up in Goulburn to buy drugs from Hudd. Early one autumn morning in 1989, Detective Matt Casey aimed his .38 Smith and Wesson gun at Hudd’s head, saying: “Pat, don’t try anything, mate, because I’ll blow your head off and I know you’ve got a gun so I’ll be alright”.

Hudd sat motionless in the driver’s seat of his blue Holden ute. The 52-year-old had just left home at Pomeroy, west of Goulburn, as his addicted girlfriend continued sleeping. He was heading into town to train horses when heavily armed police stopped him after a brief pursuit.

Matt jumped into the front of the ute next to him.

“I was pretty calm and in control at that stage,” he recalls. “I said, ‘Now this is what’s going to happen’.”

Hudd listened carefully.

Special weapons officers with shotguns were all around him. The detective and Hudd drove back to a rented farmhouse. As instructed, Hudd opened and closed the gate afterwards, tied up his two cattle dogs and walked inside with Goulburn police’s guns drawn behind him.

Casey, 37 years old at the time and running the operation, looked at the career criminal.

“We know you’ve got a supply, Pat, and we’re going to take this place apart until we find it,” he said.

Police had been watching Hudd for some time.

“I don’t want to catch him with a little bit of heroin, that’ll just annoy him,” Casey had told senior officers who were pressing him to strike.

“I want to catch him with a lot.”

He knew they were dealing with a serious offender who had served time for kidnapping and attempted murder with a shotgun. On that occasion he had shot at his former girlfriend, taking off the tip of her shoulder.

Working closely with detective John Edlund in Goulburn, the two investigators kept all their information to themselves until the night before Hudd’s arrest, when they got a search warrant.

Casey rang other police at 3:00 am the next morning for a 5:00 am briefing at the station. They were to block all the roads around Hudd’s rented farmhouse.

Executing the plan led to a brief car chase before Hudd’s ute was stopped on Lambs Lane.

After his arrest and with police at the farmhouse, Hudd told Casey not to bother pulling things apart and pointed to a Tupperware container in the kitchen. Inside it, police discovered 250 grams of heroin – more than Casey had seen in one place in his lifetime.

Hudd was taken back to Goulburn police station and charged with supplying and firearm offences. His Sydney barrister conceded the evidence was overwhelming. But the detectives’ work was just beginning.

They were horrified when he was later released on bail, but successfully secured his return to custody.

He was held at Long Bay Jail in Sydney. Meanwhile, John Edlund was called one night by a Marulan police officer to say Hudd’s girlfriend had run out of petrol while returning to Goulburn from Sydney.

From what they found in her car, and a subsequent interview, a plot emerged to accuse police of fabricating the story and implicating Casey for planting the heroin in Hudd’s ute. As well, an associate of Hudd’s in Long Bay Jail had been bailed and concocted a story that, remarkably, he had been driving through Goulburn on his way to Cowra, got lost and ended up on Lambs Lane at the same time police were arresting Hudd.

“I saw this big bloke with a beard [Casey] with a bag of heroin and a gun, putting it in the car,” he claimed.

The plot and criminal witness folded under scrutiny, and Hudd was found guilty of drug and firearm offences. He then faced a second trial for conspiracy to pervert the course of justice.

Later, en route from Long Bay Jail to Sydney’s Downing Centre court for his conspiracy trial, Hudd escaped, helped by armed men who had bailed up the prison van and kidnapped police.

“During the two weeks he was out, he returned to Goulburn and monstered all of the drug users that they would be killed if they gave evidence,” says Casey. “They were terrified.”

Hudd was later rearrested, convicted of the conspiracy, and served out his time in jail. On his release, he returned to Goulburn, resumed drug dealing and later shot dead a man in Sydney.

He died in jail, in 2013, from lung cancer.

What's Your Opinion?

Please login to post your comments, or connect with
18 Responses to Guns drawn in late-1980s to bring dangerous Goulburn drug dealer to justice
Paul Benedict Paul Benedict 5:26 pm 20 Jul 21

A memorable career Matt

Anthony Gordon Anthony Gordon 5:01 pm 20 Jul 21

Well done Matt thanks for your service mate.

Stephen Edwards Stephen Edwards 1:28 pm 20 Jul 21

Well done Matt.

John Kidman John Kidman 12:46 pm 20 Jul 21

The pointy end, Matt. Good stuff!

Lynette Luck Lynette Luck 12:35 pm 20 Jul 21

Beauriful young lives ruined forever because of his kind .

Familys and hearts broken because of his kind.

And the pain and heartbroken

Goulburn familys in those days,and today still cary the scars forever..

Thank you to all who brought these men to justice.

    Vickie Luck Vickie Luck 1:21 pm 20 Jul 21

    Lynette Luck so many families dealt with drug addicted family members I could name a dozen,and death came to so many at a young age.

Stephen Casey Stephen Casey 12:06 pm 20 Jul 21

Wow, great write up!!

Patricia Ann Barber Patricia Ann Barber 11:59 am 20 Jul 21

Thank you

Louise Dalglish Smith Louise Dalglish Smith 9:31 am 20 Jul 21

Pomeroy!? Charles Dalglish Thea Dalglish Alex Dalglish Andrew Dalglish

Peter Casey Peter Casey 9:25 am 20 Jul 21

Well done Matt.

Rodney Philips Rodney Philips 9:25 am 20 Jul 21

don great guy met wheen in runners club

Dennis McGuigan Dennis McGuigan 9:10 am 20 Jul 21

Good story Paul, didn't know the others but Don Hayes was a good man, and at times helped out with abseiling with our yth group around the Bungonia area.

    Paul Comino Paul Comino 9:25 am 20 Jul 21

    Dennis McGuigan yes Dennis I worked a lot with Don. They are and were all very good men.

    Dennis McGuigan Dennis McGuigan 11:03 am 20 Jul 21

    Paul Comino still waiting for your book mate.

Paul Comino Paul Comino 8:56 am 20 Jul 21

I had the privilege of working with Matt Casey and the late D/Sgt Jon Edlund. I was involved in this operation and subsequent arrest on Lambs Lane. I was driving the pursuit vehicle a VL turbo Commodore with the late Sgt Don Hayes as observor. We had shotguns and were fully armed and knew that Mr Hudd was a very dangerous person. During the pursuit he went hard but we kept up and he had a tyre blow out. The arrest was as stated by Matt. It was a very well organised and run operation by Matt and Jon Edlund. I am proud to have served in the NSW Police Force with them.

    Matt Casey Matt Casey 9:05 am 20 Jul 21

    Paul Comino thanks Paul always great working with you. Nice to hear Don Hayes name as well.

CBR Tweets

Sign up to our newsletter

Region Group Pty Ltd

Search across the site