The 50-metre pool at Gungahlin Leisure Centre will officially reopen on Saturday, 27 August, but the first splash will go to regular swimming groups from next Monday.
Both the Gungahlin Leisure Centre and Sports Minister Yvette Berry have taken to social media to spruik the reopening, more than two years after the main pool had to close due to leaking.
Ms Berry said the 50-metre pool has been filled and heated, and new lighting installed with minor cosmetic works continuing this week.
“The acoustics will be upgraded after the pool reopens; however, this will not affect pool operations,” she said.
“Once this work is complete, the 50-metre pool will be completely refurbished.”
She thanked the community for its understanding and support while the pool works were underway.
“I know this has been a frustration for the Gungahlin community and I really appreciate everyone’s patience,” she said.
Ms Berry said a family fun carnival would mark the reopening, with more details to come.
The total repair bill for the trouble-plagued pool was $4.63 million, more than triple the $1.5 million contract to fix the problems.
The government chose to completely refurbish the 50-metre pool instead of simply patching the areas that need to be fixed and adding acoustic and lighting upgrades.
“These works aim to extend the life of the pool, reduce the risk of additional future works being required and provide the best opportunity to address any underlying issues identified and minimise disruption to patrons,” a government spokesperson said last month.
In March 2021, the government accepted a $400,000 payment to cut ties with the original builder, ADCO Constructions, and signed with local construction company Kynetic to repair the pool.
The $28.7 million Leisure Centre is only eight years old, but the main pool has hardly been used in recent years, attracting withering criticism from the Liberal Opposition.